Hot Rod Forum banner

small crack in bottom of sbc bore

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  southerntidefan 
#1 ·
Was planning on rebuilding this block but now am unsure if i should. It looks like a casting crack its at the very bottom of the bore. Is it ok to use?

#2 ·
southerntidefan said:
Was planning on rebuilding this block but now am unsure if i should. It looks like a casting crack its at the very bottom of the bore. Is it ok to use?
Pictures would be nice so we could see where exactly it is. Personally if it's a sbc 350 block I would find another, they are plentiful. You could probably ask your local machine shop if they have any for sale. Most have a few from customers that never picked them up.

#5 ·
southerntidefan said:
I tried to upload a pic but cant figure it out yet. Its next to the cam below the travel area of the piston.
Really no matter where the crack is, whether it's below the travel of the piston or not is not acceptable because once cracks start, they can keep going. I would hate to see you sink money in that motor which may run forever with that crack but on the other hand, it may run for an hour and start giving you problems. Always start out with good parts, especially the block. It has more duties than any other part in the motor and is the foundation of your build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.