Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - small exhaust diameter up front and big out back??
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 06:14 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Wiki Edits: 0

Being a king of low budget-- low buck, I have had numerous cars that prove this backpressure issue in real world situations with seat of the pants information. ( I don't have any Dyno proof and probably will never be able to "dyno" anything!) But, I did have a 455" buick electra that the exhaust got torn off of (gravel road racin') With only two feet of lead pipe on the car, it was no longer the tire shredding monster it was with full exhaust and actually labored to pull away from a dead stop--- replaced the exhaust--TaDah!--back came the lowend torque! Another time, I put a very mild 305" in a 65 chevy pickup but I ran out of money so I welded the 305's leadpipe to the 6cyl. exhaust (1-3/4, 2"?). WOW! gobs of lowend power! A month or so later, when I had the money, I had a complete dual exhaust put on the truck (2-1/4") Guess what? lowend torque was nowhere near what it had been with the single system! I have used 2-1/2" ( 18"long ) collectors at the dragstrip on a small block car and picked up a tenth over open headers! Anyway, my answer to the question would be, on your 283, I would run a 2-1/4" dual exhaust through the mufflers and then step up on the tailpipes if you want the big sound and look!