Small gap between hood scoop and hood - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It's not real easy to work with, but basically all you have to do is shove some into that gap and smooth it over with a putty knife. After it sets up, you can sand it, and if necessary, use regular body filler to fix any imperfections. Look for the short strand variety, it will be a little easier (not much, but a little).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Sorry Bob, I hate to disagree with you but, the fiberglass stuff out of the can I wouldn't use on the scoop that the OP is talking about. The reason is that if your working with this product over a small area and it's being applied on area that is going to have a lot of vibration...it's just not going to hold for very long. It's fine for putting a coat over top of ground down welds or any place that there is metal holding it in place.

Now...to try and offer a solution...I hate these dilemma's because there are only 2 ways that I can think of to repair this part and have it hold...and I hate doing either of them.

1) Rough up the sides of your scoop, use your mat glass and resin, build up the side a bit so that you can build up the bottom and then cut it to fit your hood. If it could be built up from underneath as well as on the sides, all the better.

2) Use a body panel adhesive or even an SMC adhesive to build up the bottom...I use 3M's 8116 or 8115 a lot, they stick to anything and hold real well, they make faster products with respect to dry time. They are costly, but work and work well. Apply a little adhesive on the sides as well and shape it into the scoop, it feathers quite well. That way you will have the support from the sides as well as the surface that your trying to enlarge.

I hope this helps.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

No problem Ray. Wouldn't have been my first choice either, but definitely better than regular filler.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Good I'm glad that you feel that way, some of those small nigglly (no idea how to spell niggly but you get what I mean) things can bother more than they are worth, and trying to repair them so they don't come back and haunt you can be a real PITA.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM

I mounted a scoop once with aluminum angle from the local hardware store. I bent it to fit the shape of the scoop, polished it, and screwed it to the hood where the braces were under the hood. This way, you could not see fasteners. I drilled and countersunk the screws that screwed into the scoop with stainless screws. No gaps and looked very nice on a black car with all the other polished stainless trim.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

What I have ended up doing is making channels with tape about 1/8" tall along the 'high spots' on the mounting edge of the scoop, then poured fiberglass resin in there. Let it set up overnight and the next day the tape peeled right off. Took my long board with 80 grit and sanded it down flat again and remaining gaps are gone. Worked really well.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Excellent, glad to hear that you found a solution.

Best of Luck

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.