Small Lincoln Wire Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 10:38 PM
1949 Chevy Truck

Wiki Edits: 0

Small Lincoln Wire Problem

I have the small Lincoln 115v welder. Lately, everytime I try to weld, the wire does not feed smoothly. This can really screw up your welding. I am not that good and this really makes it look bad. Help!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

maybe helpful

If youve got the innershield type,check your tip.They get splatters sometimes(inside even)Dont shop for tips at home depot,many dollars few tips.Find a welding supply shop(look for gas bottles in the yellow pages)last place I got mine at only charged 65 cents apiece.also check your lines they shouldnt be stepped on or driven over,the drive wheel might also need adjusting.I hope this helps.
Frank

Last edited by blacktruck; 07-26-2005 at 11:38 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 07-27-2005, 06:46 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Blacktruck touched upon the most likely problems, your drive wheel adjustment, your spool adjustment, or your tip. The spool of wire is probably held in place with a nut which presses against a short spring. This nut needs to be adjusted so the spool can turn without binding but will not turn so freely as to allow the wire to unravel on it's own. Then make sure your drive wheel is working properly. There should be a small grove in the drive wheel that the wire lays in this grove. There will be a nut (usually above the drive wheel) which controls the tension the wheel puts on the wire. Once you have the wire properly loaded and inserted into the "hose", leave the door of the welder open. remove the welding tip, turn the welder (but not the gas) on, and hit the trigger. The wire should feed smoothly and evenly through the wire feed wheel and then out the nozzle.

If you are getting a nice even feed, shut down and replace the welding tip on the nozzle. Then try it again. This test should isolate your problem (feed wheel or tip) if you still have one.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Something else to check,your wire size,and your drive wheel grooves what size are they for,maybe just blowing out your liner with air dirt build up, your gun head at a severe angle when not feeding smoothly,what size tip and and wire size you using , are they compatable.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:07 AM

Last journal entry: '46 Ford coupe - engine buildup
Last photo:

Speaking from experience...if you just recently put on a new spool of wire, check to make sure that the wire didn't get "sprung" around the spool, basically akin to a squirrel's nest on a fishing reel. The wire will still feed, but not smoothly. Just pop the spool off, and unwind the bad spot. You can try to reuse it, but I just got the 5-6 feet of problem wire off on my spool.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:38 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

how many hours on the machine? possible the liner is worn and needs replacing, but my vote is for drive roller size not being optimal.
or dirt.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

Big-It could be one of many things, but to start we really need a better description of what it is doing. Does the wire just vary in feed rate? or does it "buck and kick" when it feeds into the weld puddle? Some things to try would be to clip the end of the wire before starting to weld each time because the oxide ball that forms at the end of the wire is non-conductive and will very often prevent the wire from establishing an arc until it is forced against the metal causing the "buck and kick" problem. Another often over looked problem is the tip recess from the nozzle, it should be about flush but for me any way it seems to work better if the tip sticks out a little past the nozzle lip. Also is the metal you are trying to weld clean? Rust,paint,scale or just plain dirty all can cause this problem. If you will describe exactly what is happening we can probably solve your problem
Old 07-29-2005, 05:37 PM

Last journal entry: Regrouping
Last photo:

Went through the same thing with my Hobart. Replaced the tip, still no good. Thought about replacing the feed motor. Then I had the idea to change the liner,...good as new. The liner gets worn from all the wire running through it and causes too much friction. I'm about to do it again to mine. Usually after every other spool of wire I change the liner.

JasonR
Old 07-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

A liner should last longer than that but if the wire picks up dirt or a real culprit such as grinding dust then the liner will have to be replaced often. A neat little gadget is a felt cleaner with a (welding)wire lube that clips around the wire just where it enters the feed guide and rubs the wire clean before it can enter the guides. These clip-on cleaners can be found cheap at most welding supplies or maybe just use the old trick of threading the wire through a small soft rubber ball to do the same thing. I guess grinding dust causes more problems than most people realize since welding and grinding almost always go together and the dust that settles on the wire can destroy a liner in short order but if the wire spool is exposed to direct grinding sparks then the tiny metal particles will weld themselves to the wire and cause a major headache! These particles can be felt by running your fingers across the wire and if this happens then about the only real solution is to replace the wire spool or be prepared for the inevitable feeding problems that will follow.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:01 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Amen Oldred

I haven't replaced the liner in my mig for at least 5 years and I weld every day. A felt cleaner with an added lubricant does wonders. A couple drops of lube every day and a new pad every roll. Blow out the dust every day. Keep your new wire in it's sealed bag till you put it in. Cover the welder up when not in use.
It sounds to me like dirt in the liner causing the wire to bind but not enough to birdsnest.
Replace the liner. Use a fine hand wire brush to clean your drive rolls every roll of wire. Adjust the drive tension according to you users manual. don't guess at what is the correct tension. Use antispatter on the nozzle and keep the nozzle clean.
Take a look at all the things that have been suggested. One of them is going to be the main problem. Taking care of the rest of them will keep it from reccuring.
Incidently, a little spray on antispatter will make those little dingleberries roll right off your iron
Old 07-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

a little addendum

If you have a roll of rusty or corroded wire, throw it out. If you don't use your welder a lot, take the wire out and rebag it between uses.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Yep, we run a lot of 60 lb spools of .045 and 1/16" wire through our feeders and rarely do we have to change a liner but then we do as you do and go through the clean-up procedure each time we change wire and always use the cleaner and lube. Doing that and protecting the welders and feeders from dust and dirt will pay off big time even in the short term!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:51 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

These smal welders are pretty sensitive to dirty liners and don't have the powerfull drives of the larger welders. I would keep the unit covered when not using it and add the wire cleaner. Just a piece of soft cloth with a black paper clip right where the wire goes into the liner. Also the wire rusts easy and being so small it is not very visible. I would strip the wire out when not using the welder for a while and bag it. Most of my welding is TIG but I keep my rods bagged all the time. I even bag my gas cups, tungstens and collets even my wire brushes.
To answer the question;
The problem I think is the liner. sometimes you can clean them with air or brake cleener. Unfortunately the brakcleaner leaves a bit of residue so welding isn't too good right at first. Other wise all the tips above are good.
bentwings

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.