Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Small paint bubbles/blisters
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
It could even be a lacquer primer if that was used... we need to know if it was stripped to the metal and what was done after that metal preps ,primers did you wax & grease it...theres a ton of stuff but moisture\oil in the air line and lacquer primers or improper metal prep are the most common.but explain the proceedure and materials used from start to finish. but be prepared ,when you see bubbles even small ones theres only two ways to deal with it ,,,,live with it or sand down untill the bubbles are gone,most times it has to go all the way to the metal before they're gone..but you might get lucky and only the paint has to come off...never know but you cant just buff them out ,you need to fix the problem or just deal with it..
.It looks pretty good from here though
I could see lacquer primer being the culprit because it's porous and sucks up moisture like a sponge and if there isn't any etch or epoxy underneath it could start to rust. I've never seen oil cause this kind of a reaction 1 year after it's painted though, usually oil contamination is visible right away...the only way I could see oil cause this is if it was painted in cool weather and when it warmed up it expanded and made the paint let go from the metal. The car does look like it was cut and buffed so we don't know if he had a massive fish eye in those spots...if he did have fish eyes in those spots and they where cut and buffed and painted when cool, then I could possibly see oil as an issue. Well unless the OP gives us this information, like mentioned, the OP needs to give us that information.

Ray