Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Small paint bubbles/blisters
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wow - This is like a assignment, but for austerity I will try to answer your questions. Because we had success we continued to follow the process as I outlined. We only scuff for mechanical adhesion adhering to the 72 hour window. I still have a few bodies that like you say sealing isn't necessary. When we used chemical strippers we always use a DA after to remove any bit and pieces left behind. The rep opinion at that time was - that we may have trapped thinners into the substrates, because the paint at that time was so hot that it burt into the substart and then flash off before the thinners could evaporate. That's why he recommended sealing with a epoxy. The car actually when into storage for quite a long time before taking it to Arizona where it set in the hot sun and broke out covered with bumps. Funny thing when the sun went down the bumps almost disappeared. When we got back to Montana and took down to the metal bit by bit to see what happened and there wasn't any signs of rust. Montana is a fairly dry state and this particular car had very little rust anywhere. After shipping we always DA for mechanical adhesion. It was a complete tear it down take it appart restoration. Prior to using this poly we always used enamel so this was quite the shock. Luckly, we never had this kind of problem again and we continued to poly paint. Thanks for you input hope this answers your questions.