small performance upgrades? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

small performance upgrades?

i just stuck an 86 monte carlo ss 305 in my 80 malibu classic....the motor is running great with a 670 holley street avenger with a good amount of power.i just replaced the stock spring with a tall yellow weaker spring to open the back to runners quicker.what little upgrades could i add to that motor to give me a little more hp or tourqe. ik i could install some 8.5mm wires and some other msd ignition and probably some better plugs. im not sure what brand headers i should go for either...any reply would be great!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Headers and intake are a good choice. Hooker makes tons of headers, they're cheap, and they work very well. The big restrictions on that motor are heads, compression, and cam, so don't expect any really big jumps in power until you overcome those hurdles.

You can get a few hp from headers, another few from an edelbrock intake, but don't expect magic. Stock power output from that 305 was in the neighborhood of 180 hp. To give you a comparison: a new Corolla's BASE model 4-cylinder makes 185 hp in a car that weighs almost 1000 lbs less than your Malibu.

not busting chops... just letting you know what you're working with.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 AM

yea

when you do an upgrade and you think you might do more later go bigger. If you do the exhaust 2" will work grate now but if you plan on going to a bigger cam and heads get the 2 1/2. A performer intake will work grate but if you are going to do the cam and heads later get a performer rpm. Always look to future projects and you will save allot of money. I would do exhaust, distributor, then intake, possibly roller rockers and cam and heads. If you pull the trans get a higher stall. Heads look at world motor sports they make a grate 305 head. Have fun.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would say if you want to go fast don't waste any money on the 305, save your money and build a 350, in the end you will be pleased!

For the ignition system good stock HEI parts are all you need, in my opinion MSD is a waste of your money.

For headers I've used flowtech and they are cheap and worked well.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

Hows you're throttle response with that 670 on your 305?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

yea ik im not going to get that much power out of a 305 but i just want something to play around with till i find a descent 350 around here. that way i can sell the 305 for more then i paid for. as for the throttle response on the 670, its great...first 4brl ive ever had and i love it, not to big and not to small. i just got true duals on the car back to the axel, i believe its 2 1/2 the whole way but not at the manifolds. i think its maybe 2 inches at the manifolds. i was looking more toward the intake and headers idea for now. thanx for info
Old 03-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Try getting some cold clean air in to that 670. Put in a little cooler plug and index the plugs so that they fire at the air/fuel charge coming in to the combustion chambers. You'll pick up some free power and better gas miliage.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

that sounds interesting, explain that better to me alittle1 plz. right now i just have a cheap 9in. air cleaner on it....when i first got it on it was backfiring like crazy out of the carb which burnt out my triangle holley filter, im not sure wut i did but i think it has stopped for now.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

you will spend about $2000 on the 305 motor and exhaust to get as much performance "fun" as just a $500 lower gears swap will do with the stock motor....

leave that 280ft/lbs 305 as is...swap gears first....then build a 350 (and a OD tranny for mpg) for 350ft/lbs+ of TQ...

a "fun" street car is all about TQ (not HP) force applied to the tires by the gears ratio for rapid acceleration and to push you back in the seat 0-60mph

changing the gears will add performance at any/all rpms because it multipliess what ever the available motor TQ is (ex:likely <170ft/lbs at 2k) versus headers and exhaust which only add power at 5,000 rpms

280ft/lbs x 2.73(present?) gears = 764ft/lbs of force twisting the tires
280ft/lbs x 3.55 gears = 994ft/lbs twisting the tires!
350ft/lbs x 3.55 gears = 1242ft/lbs= almost twice the acceleration power moving the car weight

3500lbs(?) car weight/764ft lbs=4.5 lbs of weight for every ft/lb of force
3500lbs/1,242ft/lbs= 2.8lbs per ft/lb

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.