Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Small scale military restoration - spray gun advice.
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygunn View Post
This is not car related at all but since it does concern spray painting I thought I might be able to gain some advice.
I am in the process of restoring my German, WW2, Lafette 42 tripod back to its original colours. The base coat is going to be a couple of coats of red oxide then on top there will be a couple of coats of RAL7021.
Therefore, I have a few of questions.
I am looking at one of the Ebay cheapo specials either a mini or a full size gun.
1) Since I am using 50:50 mix on the red oxide and RAL7021 cellulose paint would it be okay to use a mini gun with a 0.8mm needle or would I need to up it to a 1.2mm or larger, remembering that the finish does in no way have to come close to that of a pro, civvy vehicle.
2) Since the area to paint is mainly comprised of tubes, and or similar (see image below), then would a 0.8mm nozzle give sufficient spread for my needs?

Below is the tripod that I'm restoring, everything in green will be redone:

Cheers,
Tom.

HOLY CRAP, That is a MG44 used by the german army late in WW2.

The American troops hated it because of it high rate of fire.
Do not paint it!!!

It has way more value in it's origonal form/finish.

Do you have any extra barrels??? those got changed out due to high rate of fire in the heat of battel. It took like 5 seconds to change out the barrel.

I Repeat, DO NOT PAINT IT. You will destroy the value.

That gun would spit out 1200 rounds per minute.

It belongs in a musium...