small scratch lines in buffed clear coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

small scratch lines in buffed clear coat

I am color sanding and buffing (Meguiar's Solo System) a recent base, clear paint job. I am finding some small scratch marks in a straight line in some places (hood is the one I am noticing). They are fairly minor (i.e. not deep) but noticeable on examination and therefore still very annoying. Would anyone recommend the best fix - re-sand with 2000? Use a cutting cream to get them out and then go back to Solo?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

If the scratches are in the clear, you can sand them out with a block and the least agressive paper that still cuts the surface. The cutting creams are useless for something along those lines, you need to level the surface around the scratch, not just the scratch or it will look like a dent in the panel. Start with the 2000 grit and if it doesn't cut, step to the next coarser til you achieve scratch removal. Keep checking it every few passes so you catch it before you cut too much material off. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Thanks. What would likely have caused the scratches in the first place given I started with 800 wet and then went with 2000 wet after that? I want to make sure to avoid that this time.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

A piece of dirt while you were colorsanding coulda done it. You mightn't have even noticed the dirt it was so small, but you noticed the scratch.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Moving from 800 wet to 2000 wet is a big step and it's very possible the 2000 didn't completely remove the 800 grit scratches, especially if there was a little dirt in there as well.
800 grit is a little coarse for color sanding unless you have a lot of leveling to do, I usually do 1000, 1500, 2000 when color sanding. A recent article in a street rod magazine showed someone using a guide coat in between grits when color sanding, I haven't tried it but may on my next job since I always seem to find a feww scratches I didn't quite get out before moving to the next step.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:07 PM

That's a good thought. Maybe on the next panels I'll try 1000, then 1500 then the 2000.

Have you ever tried the dry 2000? Meguiars tech forum suggests perhaps 1500 dry on a rotary for its Solo system - I don't like the notion of dry sanding any finished paint but maybe its just me.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.