smallest rims for 11in disk brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

smallest rims for 11in disk brakes

since im now going with the granada brake set up on my new project im wondering something
what are the smallest rims that would fit up front with 11in disk brakes? i have a set of aluminum 14inx7in rims with like new tires but im not sure if the 14in rims would fit
if anyone is wondering they're stock rims(the 10 hole aluminum type) from an older ford ranger

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The GRANADA steel wheels (14") will fit. Usually it is not the DIA. but the offset. Try the aluminum wheels for fit. Do not tighten down fully. If there is contact with the caliper, cover the caliper housing with masking tape, put the wheel back on and turn gently. The marked area of the masking tape will show where to shave the caliper housing lightly.

Oh. The center hub snout DIA was increased in 1972 so earlier wheels may not mount without turning the hub snout down. Depends on the design of the wheel.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

For whatever it's worth, I had to use 15-inch rims (steel OEM type) to clear my 11-inch brake kit. But mine are GM brakes/rotors, not Granada. Even with the 15's, there is only about 1/2" of clearance between the rim and caliper. Is a Granada setup more compact than a GM setup?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:

I couldn't tell you anything about GM disc brakes...

The 11" rotors came with steel wheels. There are early seventies TORINO 14" steel wheels that can also be used with the conversion. Custom wheels will have to be field tested.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

It may be that the actual rim itself will fit. The 11" Granada style rotor easily fits the 15x6s on the front of my car with about a 1" clearance. The rears and with my original 15" wheels the 12.19" Wilwood rotors with the external e-brake would not. What I found is that while the outer part of the rim itself is a nominal 15", there are steps, usually inside, that can cause fitment problems. Mine was a $900 "gotcha"($700 for bigger dia. wheels and $200 for tires) all because I wanted rear discs

In this case, 14" wheels might just make it - but be real close

Dave
Old 02-21-2008, 06:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:

The problem is that not all wheels are created equally. As an example, GM offered 11" disks (actually, 10.75") on the 67-72 A-body cars. At that time, the normal 14" wheel did not clear the caliper. GM used redesigned 14" wheels with a different contour on the drop portion of the rim to clear the caliper. These latter 14" wheels were factory offered on all the 11" disk brake cars.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.