SmarTool Digital Level - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 06:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SmarTool Digital Level

Has anyone else tried one of these?
I just bought one from Amazon,and received it today.It seems to do everything it's claimed to do,and seems to be as accurate as the manufacturer claims it to be(1/10 of a degree).I tried it out on a few things that I thought were perfectly level in my shop and found out how bad my trusty old 4' level(or maybe the operator) was.To be truthful,I don't know if .2 degrees will make much of a difference on my welding table,but at least it won't take as long to get stuff level and plumb as it does with a regular vial type level.
One dislike I have is that there isn't a bracket available with a "v" shaped magnet for pipe/tubing work.The only bracket with a magnet puts the flat magnet on the end-great for square,steel fenceposts,but not much good when you're building a rollcage.I'm going to mill out a bracket to suit my needs and see how it works.The tool is easily calibrated,so it should work out.

George

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:

Levels are finicky, I am a carpenter by trade, when I choose a hand level, the simplest way to check it, is to get a level reading, then pivot the level on the same plane, and see if it reads the same in both directions. You'd be surprized just how many levels do not read the same for the same bubble in 2 directions.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Ripped, I am not much of a carpenter but I have noticed exactly what you said about levels not reading the same in both directions but then I have never owned a really good one so I think I will check out this digital outfit, sounds good.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Orange
Has anyone else tried one of these?
I just bought one from Amazon,and received it today.It seems to do everything it's claimed to do,and seems to be as accurate as the manufacturer claims it to be(1/10 of a degree).I tried it out on a few things that I thought were perfectly level in my shop and found out how bad my trusty old 4' level(or maybe the operator) was.To be truthful,I don't know if .2 degrees will make much of a difference on my welding table,but at least it won't take as long to get stuff level and plumb as it does with a regular vial type level.
One dislike I have is that there isn't a bracket available with a "v" shaped magnet for pipe/tubing work.The only bracket with a magnet puts the flat magnet on the end-great for square,steel fenceposts,but not much good when you're building a rollcage.I'm going to mill out a bracket to suit my needs and see how it works.The tool is easily calibrated,so it should work out.

George
There might be a market for said bracket.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:54 PM

For anyone interested in buying a Smartool-I looked around the web and found prices from $88 and change up to $149-best price was from Amazon.com-no freight and a 4' level frame to fit module as a bonus.
As for the magnetic bracket-one of my friends told me that he saw a 9" frame for the module that has a magnetic side,just like a torpedo level.I'm going to see if I can find that before I try to make up my own.
I used it quite a bit today on a welding project at work.Brings up a whole new debate about just how accurate mounting frames for motor controls really need to be-you can make yourself crazy trying to get every reading to be 0.0 degrees.

George
Old 09-16-2005, 11:53 PM
www.TOOLandFAB.com

Last journal entry: 1UZFE (Lexus V8) swap into 1993 4Runner
Last photo:

I've just started looking at these things. I need it for use with my tubing bender.

The Smartool one looks good, especially since the electronic module is small and can be removed from the longer level frame.

I came across a Stabila Electronic Level, looks to have similar specs, but I can't tell if the electronic module is removable. If not, a 24" long level will be a bit much to wrestle with I think. Anyone with experience on this one?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:11 PM

The Stabila looks like it uses the Smarttool module.The Smarttool I have mounts by sandwiching the web of the level between the body of the module and the back cover.Iwould imagine the Stabila does the same,but I can't say for sure,since I've never seen a Stabila.
On another note,Maclanburg-Duncan,who makes the Smarttool,has another version that looks to have an aluminium housing,instead of the plastic of the Smarttool.The price looks to be about double of the Smarttool.
I still haven't made the magnetic bracket for tubing/rollcage work-just not enough time.I never found the bracket my buddy told me about,so I'm going to have to build my own.If it works out,I'll post some pics/sketches so you guys can make your own.

George
Old 10-07-2005, 06:11 PM
www.TOOLandFAB.com

Last journal entry: 1UZFE (Lexus V8) swap into 1993 4Runner
Last photo:

I got my Smart Tool module a couple of days ago. Amazon for $79.xx. free shipping. They don't carry the magnetic bracket, so I ordered one from www.speedpartz.com for roughly $15 shipped. That is one slick unit. Should work nice with my bender .
Old 10-07-2005, 09:28 PM

Cebby-
Thanks for the link for the "horizontal magnetic bracket"-thats the one I've been looking for.I don't think it's made by M-D; it's not on thier website.The verticle magnetic bracket is OK for square fenceposts,but nearly worthless for anything else.
I'm really happy with my level-very accurate,easy to use and a lot faster than my old bubble level.I've got one gripe,but it's with Amazon-6 weeks and the free 4' frame is still on backorder,and they e-mail me every week to approve more time before they ship it to me.
George

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.