smog pump max RPM?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 03:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

smog pump max RPM??

Ok i dont know if this is the right place to post this question but here goes; A friend of mine has been experimenting with using GM smog pumps as superchargers on small go cart engines and with awesome results. it easily cranks out 20 psi on a 50 cc engine and will stop a briggs and straton 5 Hp engine when you block the pressure side,

this got me thinking; wouldnt this be the perfect low buck pump to inflate my navy surpluss zodiac (there is no way in hell i can inflate a 17 foot inflateable by hand and still have sunligth left) so im at the drawing board contemplating my options, the variable i dont know is what the max RPM for the pump is.. 5000?? or will it turn into schrapnell at 2K??

I am currently planning a briggs and straton and a belt to the pump, i think running it off a generator (not alt) on 12v will drain the battery pickup battery before the boat is inflated (i have a totota diesel PU with two 60 amp batteries)

any input would be greatly appreashiated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The internals are not much different than an air powered drill, I would expect that they should survive a constant 3000 rpm since they typically run at that rpm on the highway installed on an engine. I'll bet they could handle much higher but if the blades flutter they won't generate any pressure, it would be interesting to see what rpm they disintegrate at.

I'll lay the first bet, I'll say 10 000 rpm.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:30 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Really? I was thinking about using one on the gokart engine I'm building.
Could you tell me how to set one up?

I've got a small GM air pump that's locked up but I can take it apart and lube it up. I also have a small 5" pully and a 6" one.

Thay should run at least 6000 RPM cause the air pump pully is smaller than the crank pully.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

just mount the carb on the intake side of the pump and run a short hose or pipe to the intake of the engine, just like a 6-71 in an SBC. but be carefull he grenaded that honda 50 cc prety good on his first attempt the boost was somthing like 25 psi and it reved like a die grinder just before it made a loud and expensive sound

but if you on the other hand remember to hook up the throttle return spring you should have no problem at all. .. (we have made a 5 dollar pop-off/over-boost protector valve from a radiator cap in the hose between the pump and the engine (they can be bought with different springs and open at pressures in the range you are looking for
Old 04-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Very cool!

You have to get pics Deuce, the ultimate go cart!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:51 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:

oh man, now you got my thinking. how do you think it would work on a 5hp briggs style engine in a go cart? is that the 50cc engine you were speaking of? how many lb. cap did u use?

thanks
1992 Dodge Shadow
1986 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Hot Rod
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
-----------------------------------------
Old 04-06-2004, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

The intake on a GM air pump is a fan under the pulley.

I would have to boost ref the carb. And how the heck would I do that? The new Briggs don't even have jets anymore, not that I would use one.

I guess a Tecumseh would only need richened a little.

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Chevy
oh man, now you got my thinking. how do you think it would work on a 5hp briggs style engine in a go cart? is that the 50cc engine you were speaking of? how many lb. cap did u use?

thanks

deuce just said he used them on 5HP Briggs.

Now all we need to know is how to hook them up.
Don't leave us hanging deuce.

Oh, the first thing I want to know is where do you put the pulley if the clutch it taking up all the space on the PTO?

Last edited by FASTCHEVY; 04-06-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I would pressurize the whole tank and carb together on a Briggs pulse jet carb, I like the radiator cap as blowoff idea...very original and functional.

Hmmm...I have a nice 5HP horizontal shaft snowblower engine I have been saving for the kids once they got older, I bet a tiny air motor from an old air drill would fit just nice and not produce so much boost. I have one I never use anyway, I find them next to useless if you have an electric around.

The gears are a whirlin'

I could even utilize the shroud from the snowblower that keeps snow out of the carb as the plenum/carb hat. Mount it all in a "Flyer" wagon and put some inflatable tires on it and you have the ultimate pit cart!

Wonder if there's room for the aerosol can nitrous system? Sure there is!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Sometimes I wonder about using a gas powered leaf blower on a car engine.

I made a S/C out of a bathroom vent, I junked the motor, installed ball bearings, made some brackets, rigged up a pulley and installed it on my old 89 V6 Chevy truck. It gave me some power till the plastic fan started slipping on the shaft.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:49 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:

well i just did a bunch of reaserch on this subjuct. i stumbled on a huge thread, i read the hole thing, had lots of good info but mostly useless. one guy to a 5hp briggs, made his own computer controlled efi for it, and put a garret turbo on it. amazingly it spun the turbo enough to create 6 lbs of boost, but then he ran the little engine for too long at 6 lbs and he turned the piston and connecting rod to a pile of shards at the bottom of the crank case lol. heres the stuff he has done, pretty interesting.

http://photos.yahoo.com/djrevolution99/

i have a smog pump lying around so i think i might try it out. i have a pretty good idea to make my own computerless efi with a home made throttle body, a fuel pump, regulator, fuel injector and a simple microswitch running off of a lobe on the fly wheel. should be pretty cool. the only things i cant figure out it a constant 12v source and how to regulate the boost. any ideas?

this is a cool thing to experiment with, its cheap, gets ur brain working, exciting to see what you come up with and ur not doing it to ur daily driver!
1992 Dodge Shadow
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
Old 04-07-2004, 02:05 AM

Last photo:

i just stuck my head in his shop on my way home and heres the setup that worked for him. the ehgine is a honda DAX 50 cc moped, but according to him is anything under 700cc fine, the smog pump has to be under-driven in order not to over boost the engine, also (i immediately did the math and figured you could mount eight of them on top of a SBC and have a poor mans supercharger, sort of a port-fuel-supercharger ) but the point he made was that on a one cylinder engine you should make a plenum of some sorts, i know that any intake on a single is a plenum, but it should ideally hold about 10-15 times the volume of air the cylinder consumes on each intake stroke, that way the pressure is constant throughout the intake stroke to give better filling and it will be better on the smog pump..

the smog pump has to be the vaned type found in older GM cars, it has a center baring that keeps the vanes from contacting the housing and he says that it will do any rpm a GM v8 will do.

so to amend my description from above, any carb before the pump (since it is a positive displacement type supercharger you really cant do a through as the boost would simply sky-rocket when the throttle was closed) i think any carb from a small motorcycle with a HP rating in the range you are aiming for will be fine, then blow into a chamber with about 10-15 times the volume of the engine displacement and you are set to go racing

(wonder what would happen if you put one on a junior dragster?)

not all the pumps has equal displacement, so get some from a 350 police car od 454 truck if you plan to supercharge a motorcycle engine, (or eight of them on an SBC/SBF)

http://www.turborick.com/dirt.html

Last edited by deuce_454; 04-07-2004 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:49 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Deuce! I'll let you know when I blow somthing up.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:28 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:

i have a smog pump off of a 78 L82 vette, what ratio do u think i should run? some have told me 4:1 but that seems like too much. deuce_454, what ratio does your buddy run? i did the radiator cap idea using a 7lb cap. ive thought alot about the smog pump idea and have came up with some other ideas, i got an aluminum tranny cooler with 1" tubes i plan on using as an intercooler. i havent decided what i am going to do about the carb, my pump doesnt have an inlet tube, so the car cant go infront of the pump, and the carb wont take the pressure after the pump, any ideas? i have a mechanical fuel injection idea but if there is something simpler i would rather do that. i just got my briggs running the other day, the mag was shot so i hooked up a coil to the points and it runs great with a very intense spark, but i have to use a battery to run the engine. and i dont have a way to retard the timing for the boost. but anyway, ill keep tinkering and let u guys know what i come up with.
1992 Dodge Shadow
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
Old 04-10-2004, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

SC you don't need to retard the timing, it's not very advanced to start with.

And deuce, where do I put the pulley if the clutch is taking up all the space on the PTO?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:17 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:

if you dont have any room you could try and make a jack shaft.
1992 Dodge Shadow
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.