smoke and mirrors, with less smoke - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2002, 06:39 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post smoke and mirrors, with less smoke

I've been working on cars for a living for over 6 years now and finally run into a problem that doesn't seem to have a cause, someone shoot some ideas at me, 126,000 mile Dodge Shadow 3.0 smokes like a chimney when warm, but not nessacerily all the time so my first thought was the guides. Hooked up the vacuum gauge and pulled a DEAD steady 21 inches, My next brian storm was a crack,(head/block/gasket/ but I haven't had to add coolant for over 6 months now, third thingto check was an overly rich mixture of fuel so I probed the back of the O2 senser and read on astounding 350 to 450 millivolts(near perfect ratio for the ideal 14.7:1) So the search must go on. Next test comes the comp test and all six cyl come out with 158 to 162 psi. Vry good for the age. So by the time I had doing all this stuff it had stopped smoking by then and I let it run at Idle for 1/2 hour then as soon as it started smoking agian I asked the niehbor to tell me what she thought it smelled like and she says water just plian boiling water with a hint of somthing unidentifiable. Probably CO2 from the cat converter, This boggles me even more, Leak down test shows less than 10%. So its not oil,coolant,fuel, Any ideas??????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2002, 07:26 AM

Can you tell if it is steam or is it actually smoke. If it is smoke is it more black than white. If it is white does it have a blue tint to it.

White is usually an indication of steam, a blue tint is an indication of oil burning & black is usually fuel.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:37 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I agree, this is white/Maybe a slight grayish tint. I've thrown out the idea of fuel mixture based on its great milage and very clean plugs. Besides the O2 sensor would have thrown a code long before it became this bad. However coolant can be thrown out as well because of how little it uses coolant.(RAD still full to the brim after six months of this) What about condesation biuld up in the exhaust system?
Old 09-09-2002, 08:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Does it use oil?

If it is steam, the haze will disappear as the steam evaporates. If it is some other smoke, it will linger because the particles are solids, not liquids. What do you observe?
Old 09-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

You would think that steam would evaporate at a pretty fast rate due to the 90 plus temp lately, However the haze does stick around for a min. or so.
Oil pressure is good and 1 quart every three weeks plus a small oil pan leak registers pretty normal to me. any other ideas? I ask someone else today what it smelled like and (qoute)
"Smells like water vapor but has a strange punget smell" I'm guessing the NOX/Carbon Dioxide accounts for the "Punget smell" Sorry, I can't describe the smell better, The old sniffer does'nt work any more
Old 09-09-2002, 11:00 AM

Condensation build up occurs when the car does not run long enough to heat the exhaust. Usually during short trips or if the car is moved a very short distance. But, the condensation should evaporate after driving a few miles.

Is the car driven daily or does it sit for long periods, and when it is driven is it driven long enough for the temp to reach operating temp.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:18 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Driven every day, from home to classes(10miles) to work(10 miles) to lunch(2-3MILES) to work(same) to home(5 miles) as a general rule. The car always reaches temp under normal(as listed above)driving conditions. The craziest thing is the smoke may occur than dissapear than reoccur in what seems to be a erratic fashion.More so while sitting in long periods of idling(2 min. or more).
Old 09-09-2002, 11:31 AM

Just a guess here, could it be a plugged pcv system? Have you checked the pcv valve if it has one?
Old 09-09-2002, 11:36 AM

Check MAP sensor - fault code #45
Old 09-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Yes sir, I have, 2nd thing I checked, I pulled off the hose and the hose is dry on the inside, Indicating the PVC isn't pulling oil through the valve cover, Replaced the valve anyway just to be sure, you know. Would any one like to play agian! LOL.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:24 PM

I'm thinking you may have coolant leaking into the combustion chamber, from the smell you described. Can you see inside the valve cover? Check to see if it is a grayish or milky color. How long has this been going on? If it's only been a short time you may not see anything in the valve cover.

You also stated the smoke lingers awhile which indicates smoke instead of steam.

I'm out of ideas for now, I'll give it some more thought and if I come up with somehting I'll let you know.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Check the power brake booster i have seen them fillup with brake fluid to the check valve. it will smell funny and only smoke for a short time, real white smoke.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:58 PM

One more guess, Broken diaphram in the trans vacuum modulator.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Sorry, Wrong answer, Already checked for computer codes at work with the SUN diagnostics and all sensors are responding as normal as they can get. All are within the computers abililty to compensate. It's got a manual transmission so no shift Mod here. Nor have I added brake fluid since over 6 monthe ago. Great thinking though! I've never seen somthing like this before! Damn mind boggling isn't it? Steam/Smoke and no loss of fluids to speak of. Damn Dodges LOL
Old 09-09-2002, 04:49 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Question

Uh...Seeing as how you work in well equipped shop, surely they must have ALDATA or Chiltons On Demand. Have you checked for TSB's?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.