smoke at startup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2004, 11:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

smoke at startup

hey guys,
i have a cleveland 351 which is close to twelve months old. at startup a puff of white smoke about the size of a soccer ball comes out only the drivers side exhaust. i've taken the rockers off and checked to valve seals they are perfect. it uses about 1 millimetres of oil on the dipstick a week, i'm not sure if this is a lot for this type of engine.
what would be the best place to start looking, and how could i work out whats wrong.
thanks,
dave.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

White smoke is antifreeze or water mostly. Might have a leaking intake gasket allowing coolant from the water passage to get into the intake port.

Possibly a head gasket leaking into the cylinders. Check the oil for any coolant and the coolant for any oil. Do a leakdown test and see if your getting leaks anywhere.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:39 AM

thanks for the reply,
it's a cleveland so i'm not sure if the inlet manifold could let water in but i guess it could allow oil in. the drivers side does have more of a smokey smell than the passenger side. i will try the leakdown test and see what happens.
cheers,
dave.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:51 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

hum well if its only on startup, i would think its a small leak, water probobly gets in as the motor sits with the high water presure and since its not running it dont kick the small amount out. maybe just make shure all the bolts are tight for both the head and intake. might be worth a check.

-Leo-
Old 12-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

My Challenger used to collect water in the mufflers. It would smoke a little at startup and then be fine from there.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:51 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Have you looked at the spark plugs? If there was a coolant leak it would show up there. It's pretty hard to guess how much oil a car should use in a week. How many miles to the quart (litre). I would still suspect an intake valve seal.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:42 AM

Last photo:

i had this problem on an SBC. the only thing wrong was the valve stem seals on the heads. it had very low mileage but the years got to them. oil on the heads drains down after you shut her down onto to pistons ... then of course when you start her up the oil that drained ontop of your pistons is lit and POOF a cloud of smoke out the exhaust. only on startup once sitting overnight or after a hard days work. i dont know about old fords but same symptom .....
Old 12-27-2004, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Take the radiator cap off, run the motor to good and warm, let it sit over night. Check for a white puff. No puff, try a lower psi cap.

Still got a puff, re-torque ALL the engine bolts. During the year the motor block/heads/intake/etc. may have "twisted" enough to cause a tiny tiny leak.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

one puff of smoke...

but your burning or loosing a little oil somewhere....the valve stem seal is a likely place to drip oil down into the combustion chamber and puff lightly on startup. No big deal but I'm sure your noticing it and its a pain that way. If you were getting coolant into the combustion chamber the plug will be SUPER CLEAN!!! I'd look at the plugs for a little oil fowling and thats the culprit thats leaking.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

about the oil loss, and white smoke

Your best bet for good guidance on oil loss is to post another thread, "help with oil loss in a Cleveland".

Cleveland is a great motor EXCEPT the whole oiling system is screwy to begin with....

Several people on this board really know Clevelands

.................................................. .................................................. .
another possible cause of a tiny coolant leak/white smoke is if there is any air trapped in the heads it creates steam pressure when you turn off the hot motor.

to get rid of any air, start and warm up the motor and loosen a water jacket plug just enough on the intake that you can see a steady flow of coolant leaking out.

Try that before re-torqueing all the bolts
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

sorry mr. BUll. can't help you much other than seals are definitely BLUE as we'd all know if we read the word white but anyway, i hope you figure out your problem, as one bull to another down under.

young bull says to the old bull, hey look at all them young little heffers down there in the valley! Whattya say we run down this hill and go fk one of em??? huh huh huh old bull????
Old bull just looks over at the young bull, just kinda rolls his eyes, thinks about slappin the young bull upside the head for a second, then says, Naaaah, young bull... whattya say we just walk on down this hill and fk ALL of 'em.
g'day mate

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.