Smoked computer during start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Trans Am

Wiki Edits: 0

Smoked computer during start

I have an 81 Trans Am, the first year for onboard computer (only one for second generation trans am I beleive), but when i started the car a large puff of grey smoke came from under the console where computer is located (just befoe the shifter). Since this, the car will still start but the tachometer climbs to 4,500 even though the car is still idling. Also the choke light will flicker on and off. If you dont keep putting your foot in the gas the car will eventually shutoff. It hasn't had either of these problems until the computer smoked. I know that the computer runs the electronic carb and distributor. I plan on either swapping these out for new non-electronic carb and dist. or putting in a new engine, probably a ZZ4 without elec carb and dist. If i were to do either of these would it take the 81 computer completely out of the loop, or does the computer manager other things aswell. I'm guessing that tach somehow runs through the computer aswell, but i could figure that out later. Sorry for the length of this post, but any help would be greaty appreciated. -Thanks, Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

running without the computer on that early of model is a breeze. it won`t have any effects on it running without it. swapping in a small block is also a breeze. swap the carb and distibutor over to a non computer version, get the carb and distributor adjusted in, and all the wires left over are for the computer, tuck them in somewhere under the hood. about the only other thing i can think of the computer manages is the lock up converter, if your car still has this, you can wire it to a toggle switch or bypass it completley, if you bypass it, add a tranny cooler to keep the trans temps stable.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:55 PM

That sounds about right. You can pull the distributor and intake, and replace with standard intake, carberator, and HEI distributor. I would guess that the car already has the HEI distributor, so, really, all you need to replace is the fuel injection system with carberator system. You can run a 350 with a 450 cfm 2-barrel all the way up to a 650 cfm 4-barrel. A carb can be picked up pretty cheaply at your local salvage yard. Or, if you want a new one, just do some checking. Certain carbs, that are more popular, are quite a bit cheaper than others. Most importantly, is to make sure the linkage for the accelerator and transmission are both located on the sides of the carb that they are currently located on. It will make the transition quick and painless, and you will probably get a better running motor than the fuel injection ever was. Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Trans Am

well the motor is already carbuerated, rochester q-jet 4bbl and it already has HEI dist. just both are electronic. I have a dist. and another rochester q-jet off of a 79 Z that parted out few months ago, just incase i were to get rid of the computer, though im not sure how well the carb and dist are since i couldnt get the Z to run cause of a bad starter (it was destined to be parted out so i didnt bother replacing it). Would you happen to know if this carb would work fine? Most of the hookups look the same, neglecting the electronic stuff which isnt needed

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.