Smokin Big Block!!! What to Check first? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2002, 02:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Smokin Big Block!!! What to Check first?

i just had a 454 put together by a local somewhat respectable backyard engine buidler budget $2400 CDN complete carb to pan..
The Motor ran pretty decent at First, just some slight misses and farts while we sorted out jetting and such. Last week (10 runs on motor)I started to Hit the motor like it is suppose to go, really good burnout, 4000rpm Launch (went 9.78 in an altered) But Now she is really starting to smoke from both exhausts (was a littleat first then progressed). When I pulled the plugs. 1,5,7,8 were all wet with oil!!
The Block was already 100 over, as the piston where (both from another motor, to save $) the piston to wall clearence was 10 thousand. The builder sweers by the heads he put on and suggests that a little oil blow By should be expected reving at 6000+rpm?
What can be producing the Wet plugs and smoke. Is this guy full of it with Blow by? He stated he ran a leakdown when he put it together!
I know you get what you pay for, but should I be worried about it blowing (and my $$$) He said to go run it and enjoy, he has seen smokin Motors over years that ran successfully?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Whats the compression?
Old 07-22-2002, 07:09 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Do a compression check.See if there all the same pressure.See if comp comes up when cylinder has oil squirted in it.
Maybe it has cracked rings.I had a block machined where the bores were bored tapered.Just bad machine work they didn't even clean the oil passages when I told um to dip it.Lucky I caught it and had someone else redo it.
Another thing do you have crankcase evacuation out the headers??I don't think a PCV would cut it on a low vac. race motor running 6000+.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:36 PM

Unfortunatly due to my location, I can not start the beast untill the weekend (little noisy, cops have given me the Final notice). A compression test was my first thought, but will I get accurate readings due to the oil already in the cylinders? Would a Leakdown be better? I was told by the engine builder not to have the pcv to the headers. He said it would smoke a lot. Instead I have them going to a bottle in the front. It has not collected that much though, maybe 2 to 4 oz!
Old 07-23-2002, 04:58 AM

With .010" piston clearance I'm suprised the rings lasted ten runs. There should be no smoke from the exhaust with a properly built BBC race engine. My 468 inch BBC race engine had over 300 runs on it, all with 7200 RPM shifts, and never smoked. The header PCV tubes can pull some oil out of the valve covers if the covers aren't baffled. Pull the engine out and dissasemble it. There may be broken rings or ring lands. Valve seals could be responsible, but with piston clearance like that, it's most likely the rings. Check the bearing clearances , especially the rods, as heavy oil throw off from loose rod bearings can overwhelm the rings and put oil in the chambers. Sorry, but there's no cheap way to build a good race engine. Have the block sonic checked, it may be possibe to bore it .125 over.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:32 PM

hey chickenhead,

I bet I know what the problem is had the samething happen to me couple months ago in a 350.
I bet you its valve guides. I had good compression did leak down was fine. Finally said#$$# it. Removed the heads and took them apart yep intake valve guides shot.

sorry
Old 07-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Thats MMMiiiiister Chickenhead to you!

I couldn't resist, I tried, but I had to give in after a week.

HK
Old 07-29-2002, 03:42 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i was gonna say valve seals till i read that it's a fairly new motor to which i can agree with the guy who said tear it apart. that's the only way to really keep from losing all your money. play it safe. isn't ring gap spozed to be like 5 thou's?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:27 PM

Hellooo,
Thanks for all he replies, Apprecite everyones help. This weekend I did a compression test, 175 all around with 1 clynder at 190. Ya hoooo.
With the decent numbers in hand we decided to go back to the track. She does not smoke on start up at all. Sure enough after packing the parachute she smoked like hamburgers on a grill after a 9.91 132 pass.
Insted of idling her wounds all the way back to home base, I threw it in Neutral, kicked the gas couple shots and cleaned it out. Voila, no more smoke??
Pulled the plugs, dry as a camel in the sierra desert!! Can it be that its got 2 much oil on top at the end of the strip wih no where to go? Should it be that easy to clean out the plugs?
Will any of his help my hair from faling out?
Thanks again ;O)
P.S.. i want to put picture of my care next to my name, how do I do this?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:43 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

E-mail the picture to avatars@hotrodders.com
make sure you include your screen name in the e-mail and the picture as an attachment.
[quote] P.S.. i want to put picture of my care next to my name, how do I do this? <hr></blockquote>

[ July 31, 2002: Message edited by: dmorris1200 ]</p>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.