Smoking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Smoking

Not long ago I dropped in my project engine, a 350 vortec chevy. Not many mods to it really, problem is, I let it idle for any amount of time, it`ll never smoke any, if I rev it, it smokes like crazy, and there`s no doubt it`s oil smoke. the engine is fresh, and after break in it seems to have a lot of blow by, way more than it should. I used KB pistons with the rings gapped correctly, recently when I was putting it back together, I got the number 6 and 8 plug wires backwards, but didn`t run it no more than a minute and a half like this, but it seems like this was when the problem began, did I break a ring? the heads were okay, the guides checked okay, I dunno what is the matter with this thing now and I`m about to get seriously annoyed enough to scrap the whole thing, is it rings or guides?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I would check to be sure your PCV system is working before you do anything else. If there is no crank case vent going on it will smoke and blowby like a mother. I have seen several time where the vacuum port that the pcv attaches to is plugged. If not a compression test is in order. I dont think I have ever seen crossed wires break a ring or do any hard damage but there is a first time for everything
Old 04-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

You need a leakdown test.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Update, Did a check on number 8, shows alot of oil on the plug, compression test showed this pathetic mullet could only wheeze 120 psi, while most of the rest put out right at 170 to 175. I installed almost everything new in this one. I checked the pcv, it`s good from one end to the other. I checked the valves, there adjusted right and neither is stuck open, 120 compared to 170 shows something isn`t right in that hole. Other thing about this one is, it sounds like a diesel, The cylinder clearence checked out good, it sounds alot like wrist pins to me, while KB did send me locks for the pistons, according to my machinist they could be pressed fit as well which was what I had done. I don`t like KB pistons, but they were the only company I could find that had a 12cc D dish piston. looks like I`m gonna be pulling this one back out, after $3800 what`s another couple of hundred?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Smoking

Sounds like rings. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You may have broken a ring, they usually dont make much noise though. I would also check to be sure it is the proper piston and they are all the same part #. I have seen sets come with 1 different, for instance you may have 1 30 over and 7 60 overs. the 30 over will be real loose in the hole. Yo would probably hear some serious piston slap which could be your diesel type noise.

Either way you need to open it up.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:19 PM

i had that happen to me everyone thought it was a broke ring but the oil passage were it leaks down through the heads after being pumped through the rocker arms was clogged cleaned it out changed the oil and drove it for a bout a million miles

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« chevy heads | Mefi »