smoking engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Exclamation smoking engine

i drive a 92 chevy full size pickup with a built 350. it was changed from tbi to a 600cfm edlebrock performer carb with a perfomer intake on top of some old 64cc 305 heads to bump up compression from the stock 76 cc. heres the problem. im running headman headers which are a pain in the *** if anyone every looks into buying a set for a truck like this, but recently i rebuilt the carb and put in new plugs and taloyr wires i cut to fit. its runs great, its got stong pull, but now its pumping out grayish blue smoke. blue smoke means burning oil. there are no visible leaks on the outside, so im guessing its an exhaust valve. im not sure but it smells like its running rich but i cant really tell. im going to run it this week then pull the plugs and see whats up, but for now ive got to deal with the carb possibly being rich. at idle it smokes a bit, but not much, and as u increase throttle it stays about the same, but once u let off it starts pushing out a good of smoke, and it smells pretty rich. again, ive tried backing off both of the mixture screws but it doesnt seem to do anything at all. at one point it was running good and was dripping water from the pipes, but since then i think ive thrown the carb out of wack by playing with it. any help would be much appreciate

Advertisement

Last edited by carguytrg; 01-02-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

When you did the tbi to carb swap did you install a mechanical fuel pump or keep the electric? if you kept the electric you`ll need a fuel pressure regulator to get the pressure down to around 5 psi, anything more won`t let the needle stay seated and flooding is the result. Also when you did the swap did you install a older HEI with vacuum advance and mechanical advance? if not you`ll need to do this also. yes blue smoke usually means oil consumtion, but first if there`s a fuel pressure issue I`d address it first, then go from there. If there is no fuel pressure or fuel related problem my next guess would be the valve guides or valve seals.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

I had a oil burning problem a few months back. I was driving and it looked like a fogger in the back. All coming out of the right bank. I thought I had broken a ring. I pulled the plugs but they all looked ok. I couldnt figure out how I could be burning that much oil and the plugs not showing it. My wife suggested that maybe the headers were loose and a small leak from the valve cover was draining into the headers. My response was that headers make noise when they are loose so theres no way that can be the problem. Just to keep the peace I got a wrernch and checked. Each bolt turned about 2 turns. No more burning oil. Fixed the valve cover leak also. Shes got a good head on her for motors. So the moral is check everything before you rip it apart.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:52 PM

i use a vacuum advance dis. and instead of using a pressure regulator i used a T joint in the line so what the carb doesnt use it goes to the return line. it worked before, i mean it sounds like it would dump the fuel in but it didnt, but it may be now. ill check the header bolts but i dont see any oil leaking from the outside and there is never a puddle under it. when you ran the engine with the hood up and then shut it off, did u ever see smoke coming up from the engine compartment. i get that once in awhile, but like you im somewhat skeptical about the headers being loose and not making noise.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.