Smoking and Sparking Alternator Wires - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Theecat-mobile

Wiki Edits: 0

Smoking and Sparking Alternator Wires

With the help of my husband, I just finished rebuilding the 350 original engine in my 1977 Corvette, (automatic transmission). When reconnecting the battery I noticed the two small wires on the Alternator sparked and started smoking. Detached them, started the car, engine runs great, but not sure why I can't replug in the two small wires so I can drive it further than around the block.. Does anyone have a clue what might have happened? I took many pictures of the tear down...as this was my first attempt at an engine rebuild, so I'm 100% possitive that the wires are in the right place.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_kitty View Post
With the help of my husband, I just finished rebuilding the 350 original engine in my 1977 Corvette, (automatic transmission). When reconnecting the battery I noticed the two small wires on the Alternator sparked and started smoking. Detached them, started the car, engine runs great, but not sure why I can't replug in the two small wires so I can drive it further than around the block.. Does anyone have a clue what might have happened? I took many pictures of the tear down...as this was my first attempt at an engine rebuild, so I'm 100% possitive that the wires are in the right place.
Trace the wires back to be sure they're not pinched between a bracket or something. A multi-page wiring diagram for a '78 'Vette is here.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM

I had issues like this before, and it's always been a loose/bad ground. Make sure your ground strap from engine to body is good, clean and tight. Hell, add a second one.

Also, if the wires from your starter to the rest of your system aren't big enough you can cause draw issues as well, which is why I run the alternator straight to the battery.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Theecat-mobile

I should have joined this forum 8 months ago when I started the project! Thank you so much for the quick responses, I'll be checking out the wires asap. I was afraid that I might have wired the starter wrong and thats why the alternator wires were unhappy?!? But the starter works fine, I guess that means I got those wires right, it was really hard to find info on the wiring for the starter. I have 3 manuals that have helped me get this far, but not all info is in a book :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5950.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	67554  
Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Theecat-mobile

smoking and sparking alternator wires

Ok then, I was correct in that while wiring the starter I put the ground wire on the possitive conection by mistake, OOPS! So now, no sparks, no smoke and no pinched or damaged wires, just a happy alternator.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.