Hot Rod Forum banner

Smoothed rear bumper on 48 chevy...

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  PRO 48 fleetline 
#1 ·
Just finished my rear bumper on my 48 Fleetline thought i would share some photos just some little fabrication but worked out pretty good.
I started by flipping my bumper and tapered the ends for a tighter smoother look to the body and welded up the holes and mounted my new bumper bolts on the rear of the bumper and fabbed some new brackets out of 1 1/2 by 1/4 inch steal nice and simple and waaaala
I have alwasy wanted to do a slick rear bumper project and never have just wanted to let everyone know there not as hard as one may think Later GP

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Sure love to show you ! lol
The car is still in mock up stages but comming along pretty good,
I have smoothed the car of all the trim except the handles and window trim and welded the fenders to the body, smoothed the firewall
and will have many custom subtle touches including custom interior and new ididit column with a del-ray 56 chevy wheel, the car will be running american salt flat wheels and, running gear will consist of a 415 SB chevy with AFR 220cc heads single plane 850 demon 350 turbo vaulve body the usual, and it has a 9" rear with 4:30 gears later GP

Attachments

#8 ·
thanks actually i plan on keeping an older themed look to mine aswell going to run the american salt flat wheels and a 56 steering wheel with some vintage cues through out the car. This one will just be pretty radical thats all lol.
But i truelly love the look of the old school hot rods my dad is working on a 31 Ford coupe chopped and channeled going the 60's hot rod style,
Its so enjoyableto go to shows and see cars with a purpose and a theme to there car instead of just bolting on stuff, sure anyone can open a catalog and order after market gauges and chrome valve covers but i think its real cool to see some engeenering in cars and an actual plan in the bild ahead of time i see so many people just build as they go and end up changing ideas and other important key elements in a build along the way and waste alot of money and time keep up the good work later

Attachments

#11 ·
Im with you, cant make up my mind on color yet. Where are you getting your windsheild, also i see you dont have vent windows like mine. Funny how two guys can come so close to the same ideas on the same year of car.Do you have a lift on your trunk. Ill find some more photos for you.

#12 ·
Got to say it is pretty nice talking with someone that is going through the same things build wise, as for the trunk i am going to use the V emblem off a 56 chevy one made for the trunk it has the notches for the lift under the V and it will have a lokar pull release under the dash so it will only have the v on the trunk and as for the windshield i spoke with a guy at good dguys in columbus that buids them for his company i have his card but not off the top of my head do i know the name but i also found this link for this company they seem to have a nice peice aswell,
also i plan on opening the top of my hood up too, my hood is molding into the fenders and im going to open the top like an early mercury custom my front end is a flip front so i can work on it easly and show it with the top part open only so alot of ideas witch i love to share but just have to get them finished lol Later GPhttp://www.dannysglass.com/vintage_v-bend_windshield.asp

Attachments

#13 ·
Hey, guys..........wait for me! I've got my body off the frame, frame blasted and primed, 350 engine ready to go, 700R4 ready, got a Nova 10 bolt (I need to change gears in). Body's on the twirler, gotta get a trunk floor kit and repair a couple spots on the floor, than have the body blasted. See.........you're way ahead of me. Guess I should speed up, not ask you to slow down. I'll keep watching your progress for ideas. Thanks!
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.