Hot Rod Forum banner

smoothing out a hood w/ a few tips

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  tech69 
#1 ·
#2 ·
excuse me for the bad edit. I swear I edit it perfect everytime but something out of my control always messes up whether it's screwing up on compression by not having a transition to show a pic or youtube messing up the sound. The sound doesn't match. Will re-load. What a hassle.

will post up again after I re-load.

#6 ·
Nice vid..I ended up watching several of them and laughed at the poodle and when you hit your head on the cupboard door. Not that it was funny that you hit your head, but it was :) I think it's because watching your videos reminds me so much of when I'm working on my car, right down to how you mix your filler and the mask. And all the things I do (like hit my head on something) that make me go into a Turrets fit.

So how come you don't get one of the filler mixing palletes with the tear off sheets? I have a Marston one that I got from O'reilly for $17, I think it has 100 sheets.

Is that a Craftsman air compressor I hear?

What is that filler that you're using? I use 3M Lightweight Body Filler but I think it can only go on bare metal or epoxy only. I didn't know people actually skimmed an entire decklid or hood after shooting it with primer. I reskinned the passenger's side door on my 67 Mustang. I was looking down it today and it has some horrible, horrible ripples. I don't know if filling primer alone will take care of it. Do people skim doors with filler too? I would be worried about a filler skimmed door in case something dinged it...

#7 · (Edited)
It's epoxy primer and upol gold flyweight.

I hate those pull off sheets cause they're too small and don't take a beating while you're mixing. My usual mixing board is aluminum and I have a good cookie sheet that's huge. Love it. Best bondo board I ever had. Keep forgetting it at work. I only see issues with cardboard ink or waxy cardboard. The compressor is a porter cable. Just a little 15 gallon. It's a beast for it's size. With a sri pro detail gun you can actually paint pretty well with it. People skim panels all the time. Most people in the industry don't have the luxury of working a panel all day so we have to mud. I only spot filled the hood cause I want less dust in my garage. If it was at work the whole hood would be mudded. My filler barely ever gets to 1/8" and is usually around 1/16". In any case, if my car was more than an inline 6 than I'd probably go for no mud but I want to get it done so I can enjoy it.

#9 ·
Lizer said:
I've never used or heard of that Upol before. Are there any advantages to it over a filler like Bondo? It looks a lot lighter and creamier than my 3M filler.
Less pinholes or problems that can occur from the edge of your spreader. It's pretty good stuff. Real thin and creamy. Costs the same as z-grip but much better. Doesn't build to well but you won't be left with pockets of air in your filler.

Not sure about 3m filler. I've used it once and I think it came with a blueish can with a red stripe on top. Seemed to build great but didn't spread well. Not sure if this is what you have.

#10 ·
tech69 said:
Less pinholes or problems that can occur from the edge of your spreader. It's pretty good stuff. Real thin and creamy. Costs the same as z-grip but much better. Doesn't build to well but you won't be left with pockets of air in your filler.

Not sure about 3m filler. I've used it once and I think it came with a blueish can with a red stripe on top. Seemed to build great but didn't spread well. Not sure if this is what you have.
judging by the description of the can that would be the stuff. It does build really great but like you say can't be spread super thin. It takes quite a bit of sanding too...I start at 40 to knock down, do most of the shaping with 80, and then final feathering and touch up with 180.

#11 ·
Try Z grip if you like the fill properties of the 3m stuff. Much better and costs the same. I use z grip when time doesn't allow me to work the stuff right and my boss gives a cheap estimate. Then I top coat it with upol w/ plastic honey.

#15 ·
dinger said:
Nice videos! How is the job going now, starting to smooth out with the boss?

It's working ok I guess. It's just incredibly hard cause the guys he hires puts a huge load on me. Like today I told a guy to block with 320 and I caught him blocking with 80 grit on something that was supposed to be topcoated after 600. No way that was going down after that. They also on Saturday 2k'd it with half the hardener cause the idiot at the paint store said it was ok. This same car initially had one coat of primer on it and mid job I kind of just gave up on it, but when they do that to me and I decide to give up I end up fixing it later at the last minute due to pride. I'm just gonna use this as a way to handle my stress better and be a better people person no matter how annoying it is. Just sucks sometimes, and no more videos at work but I can still take pics so that's cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.