Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Snap-On Compressor Junk (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/snap-compressor-junk-201167.html)

Custom10 06-29-2011 08:40 AM

Snap-On Compressor Junk

Many of you may already know this but I did not and want to pass along some disturbing info/warning.

Snap-On tool company has apparently sold its name to a china man or is being impersonated here. COSTCO is selling a 2HP 20 gallon air compressor with the snap-on tool logo all over it made in China. Wifey called me she was in the store and told me about this nice compressor she was looking at for 200 bucks. When she told me the name snap-on it sparked some interest and she also said it was advertised as a cast iron oil lube pump with dual regulators and fittings. I need another pump so I told her to buy it, thats a good deal I figured,,,

The only good thing about it is the tank and regulators, the pump is light cast aluminum not cast iron the only thing cast iron is the cylinder portion and the four 1/4" head bolts look like they would be on a kids toy. I was somewhat disappointed with it I mean this is snap-on right? I ran it in for 30 minutes with the tank drain valve open, barely any air escaping the pump is a POS. After 30 minute run in it took 15 minutes to get the 20 gallon tank to 125 psig. It all went back in the box and back to the store, what a waste of time.

It can't be a real deal snap-on compressor????? just don't buy one

TJ

Bad Rat 06-29-2011 02:58 PM

I wouldn't think Snap-On would sell out their name to allow products to be made in China with their hard earned name and reputation on the line,,
My guess is its a counterfit knock off,, If thats the case,, Snap-on will be all over them

but these days and times,, ya never know,,
I bet if Costco gets a bunch of those returned,, they won't be sold in Costco stores very long,,

4 Jaw Chuck 06-29-2011 11:12 PM

Is this the one?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_o.../s512/snap.JPG

tech69 06-29-2011 11:49 PM

I imagine it's a snap on product but not made by snap on. Don't think it's a fake. Besides, I wouldn't think snap on even makes compressors period. Probably just throws the label on it, just like my weldmark/ hobart handler welder.

302 Z28 06-30-2011 07:06 AM

The thing I see that turns me off about it is the very first line, 20 gallon like that is really something. Nothing about it's air dilevery in bold letters. Snap-On should be ashamed.

Vince

Custom10 06-30-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck

Yep Chuck that be the one, not sure if you own it, if you decide to try it our let us know how it works,,,my guess is you will be disappointed as well but one never knows. Note the cast iron compressor,,,the cylinder part that is :mad:

Nice thing about Costco is that they never give me any hassle taking things back. My neighbor's buddy bought a nice big BBQ from them last year. This year he had a issue with one of the gas regulators, took the BBQ back to them, they told him to take a new one and keep the old one!

My neighbor fixed the gas reg for his bud and the guy gave it to him.

TJ

Custom10 06-30-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69
I imagine it's a snap on product but not made by snap on. Don't think it's a fake. Besides, I wouldn't think snap on even makes compressors period. Probably just throws the label on it, just like my weldmark/ hobart handler welder.

Yep they do, take a looky here: you could be right made by others and then branded

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

Note the slight difference in the snap on label,,,and the price yikes

TJ

wretched ratchet 06-30-2011 11:38 AM

For several years, I have thought that Snap-On was surviving on
their name and not their quality but that's only my opinion.

tech69 06-30-2011 08:58 PM

I think they make a few good specialty tools but then there's that guy that has snap on everything. He's the guy the snap on rep heads to every thursday for some $$$. :D It's like signing an adjustable.

poncho62 07-01-2011 04:25 AM

moving this to tool forum

OLNOLAN 07-01-2011 07:03 AM

Same as Harbor Freight

3 Attachment(s)
I thought that compressor pump looked familiar. I bought a small direct drive from Harbor Freight to use as a backup at one of my places while I had the Dayton Speedaire down for a valve job. It lasted two days before I found it running continuously due to a blown head gasket. When I pulled it down, the head bolts were real loose(like tightened by a 6 yr. old). I made a new head gasket, torqued the head down good, it seems to be ok now, but I just have it as a temporary backup. Look at the pics and see what you think. Same Chinese pump? Paid about $130 for it.

matt167 07-01-2011 07:50 AM

Yep, that's the same as many of the HF direct drives, which are/ were made by Campbell Hausfeld, which is probably the true manufacture of the snapon also

unix 07-01-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
I thought that compressor pump looked familiar. I bought a small direct drive from Harbor Freight to use as a backup at one of my places while I had the Dayton Speedaire down for a valve job. It lasted two days before I found it running continuously due to a blown head gasket. When I pulled it down, the head bolts were real loose(like tightened by a 6 yr. old). I made a new head gasket, torqued the head down good, it seems to be ok now, but I just have it as a temporary backup. Look at the pics and see what you think. Same Chinese pump? Paid about $130 for it.

Oh no it is plainly a different one, it is the 21 gal. model, with the high volume tank.

LOL

302 Z28 07-01-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69
but then there's that guy that has snap on everything. He's the guy the snap on rep heads to every thursday for some $$$. :D It's like signing an adjustable.

When I was starting out as a general line mechanic after getting out of the service there were several graduates of TSTI (Texas State Technical Institute) working at the local Ford dealership who hired on about the same time as me. They had these big rolling Snap-On tool boxes that looked like commercial chest type freezers. They had everything Snap-On and poop pooded anything that wasn't Snap-On. Once a week the Snap-On guy would come by and take most of their paycheck. Of course these guys were not married and that was what they were working for (to pay for their tools).

Note: Snap-On are fine tools and I do not disparage anyone who can afford them.

Vince

unix 07-01-2011 10:01 AM

You never mentioned if they knew how to use them. Did they or were they just showboating, and did they get the T shirt?