Hot Rod Forum banner

Snap ring pliers

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
There are many brands of these snap ring pliers - and I have owned a few, cheap to mid price line with the usual results. More junk!!! I've had them with interchangeable tips KD (real junk) a couple different Lisle's (just junk) and my current Chinese plier -which is marginally the best so far but not big enough for some, but too small for others. The tips either distort and you end up with a flying ring and an hour wasted looking for it or in the case of changeable tips, they twist just as you are putting that clip in place - and another ring flier.

Is there a good set of internal/external, either a combo that works both ways or individual ones. Of course, I don't want to break the dwindling bank account either, so a reasonable price is necessary.

Dave W

#5 ·
I use the snap ring pliers with a set of "jaws" that I invented to put the ties on model railroad track (anchor spreader). The KDs (USA Made) are marginal at best, but none of the Chinese pieces will even do the job. I was looking to go into production, but was unhappy with the junk from China.

#6 ·
I looked at both the NESCO and Snap-on sets. As much as I would like the Snap-on, they are just too much $$ for what I'll need them for. I do have many Snap-on tools and use the heck out of them, and those pliers are nice, but ..... The NESCO set at around $40 is about where I want to be with these infrequently used tools.

That homemade spreader look like it was made from made from my trashed and useless K-D snap ring 'kit'. Glad you could find a use for one

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave W

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
OMG there is a difference in pricing with these pliers sets. Since starting this thread I've done AMAZON, Ebay and general Google searches with some of your help. I know the real cheapies aren't worth the steel they are stamped from, but are the Snap-on and a couple others (Matco, Cornwell, etc) worth 150-300 bucks for most users? I believe even the expensive ones are often made 'someplace else'. I'll continue my look but right now, the OTC look pretty decent plus have good reviews (FWIW on AMAZON:nono:).

Dave W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.