Snap On Tools - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Last journal entry: Swinger
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Snap On Tools

I just wanted to say that after years of putting money into their pockets, I will attempt to take some back. I am interviewing for a position in the company in the Sacramento area. It's in sales, it's mobile, and I may be seeing you very soon! I will report back.
Not that its that important outside of my household, I figured that many of you have been in the same boat as me. They got me for about 25 grand in the last few years. Not to mention our shop inventory of at least 100 grand. I would imagine that many of you know the Snap On Guy in your area very well. If anyone in the HotRodders world has been that guy let me know. I interview Friday morning at 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Cool good luck man. I've been considering getting a few things through them. Bad thing is I hear the tool guy in my area is a butt. I may just have to order online
Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

So you are thinking about selling those overpriced tools that don't have near the quality that they were known for and don't have the warranty that they were known for. (nowadays most dealers won't warranty anything that they did not sell...That is pure BS). And priced at at least 100% markup....And hooking the kids on Snap On and a setting up a truck account like a dope dealer...

(can you tell I don't think alot of the company. product, or sales tactics?)

I like the older Snap On tools, you can have the new stuff.

A friend of mine took on a previously established Snap On route in Santa Clara county. The retiring S-O dealer messed up his program pretty good. Not only was the old guy still collecting on his accounts,(he refused to sell the truck accounts recieveable to Steve upon giving up the route) but when the old guy went weekly to collect on his accounts, he was selling the guys more tools that he got from a S-O dealer buddy still in the business.

So Steve would get to the account, and see S-O tools that were still in the wrapper...when he'd ask where they came from the guy would say "from my old dealer". Not only that...but the old dealer was bad mouthing Steve at every stop...And Steve is a good guy.

Steve called Snap on on it, they said they could do nothing because the old dealer was not a registered dealer anymore. And they could not prove hat he was buying from another dealer..

Some good dealer support, huh?

Steve gave up after only a year, because he was not making anywhere near what the regional manager told him, and the accounts projected sales were not anything like what they were advertised to be,(maybe because the old guy was still selling tools) and so he gave up the route to another established dealer, who took over the truck and tool inventory. He hired a guy to drive the route, I don't know whatever became of that route.

I know alot of guys are skipping the hassle of the truck showing up with a hard sell tool salesman on board for buying S-O tools online.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 03-07-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: add some for clarity
Old 03-07-2008, 03:54 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Well Please look before you leap.

I
have been in the position to have met a bunch O tool jobbers & known a couple .Some a real greedy piece of work & a few really good guy's.

Please before you invest into Snap ~On, Google your arse off.
Don't jump blindly {seeing all that shinny ,shinny chrome}
S~O is a weird Co.& Years of loyalty will not mean a thing if they decide to change directions.

Example:

My Friend Al was a Snap ~on Tech Rep for the entire Central Florida area .

I want to say 10 years he went around selling & setting up & servicing all of their diagnostic stuff {he did not sell the normal stuff just puters}

Well one day they decided to change directions & sent him packing just like that.

I could not understand why he opened up a repair business @ the time but know I know he's a Excellent Mechanic ... a dying breed if ya ask me.

Another thing is you own the truck & the tools you pay for that is it the rest ...IE: customer base lists & accounts ,they are & always be S~O's & they can jerk you around to where you have a different territory .

As far as the quality I have lots of over price tools some Snap ~On but keep in mind Snap ~ On makes stuff you can't get else where.

If you do join the cult don't become a butt & don't drink the kool aid

Lots of luck I hope this helps you out.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

As the others have said, the company apparently is not as loyal to its dealers as I am to my Snap On tools, and that is sad. I have heard many times about accounts being taken from a dealer and given to some one else! And they are inner mixed, you don't get a "town" or X square miles, you get "Accounts". So you could have two accounts on a street and some other dealer has one right in between the two you have! Your customers can walk next door when the other guy comes and buy tools from him. Of course, his customers can walk over to your stop and do the same, but it make no sense to me to do it this way.

They want a NEW truck when you take over a route. We had a Mac guy retire and Mac wouldn't let the guy he was selling his dealership to use the old truck, which was not show quality but not bad either. The new guy had to buy a new truck to do the deal, have you priced those trucks?

Study long and hard, do not just listen to the sales pitch!!!

Brian
Old 03-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

They want a NEW truck when you take over a route. We had a Mac guy retire and Mac wouldn't let the guy he was selling his dealership to use the old truck, which was not show quality but not bad either. The new guy had to buy a new truck to do the deal, have you priced those trucks?

Study long and hard, do not just listen to the sales pitch!!!

Brian
A new truck and tool inventory is well over 200,000 dollars.

Later, mikey

Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

LDV is the main company who sets up trucks for snap on tool dealers. Steve went back to Wisconson to pick his truck out.

Here is their website showing some of the used trucks they have for sale.....

http://www.ldvusa.com/used.aspx

At 85 K for a used truck, you can imagine what a new one costs.

IIRC Steve's truck was about 130,000, then the minimum tool inventory was 125,000...and that amount of stock still had him ordering tools for the accounts that would buy from him.

BTW, I know 3 EX S-O tool dealers, who went on to better businesses, and only 1 current dealer....Him, I won't even talk to. (He is a greedy and arrogant ***.)

Later, mikey

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 03-07-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 AM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

Hey NovaGuy........

Run for your life.

Snap-On has been selling their name to importers of cheap Chinese tools bearing the Snap-On name and these tools are being sold at your local Ace Hardware store. Right now it's Chinese gloves and flashlights. These are but a harbinger of things to come. The camel's nose is under the tent.

Mikey has it right. Your'e looking at tremendous investment that in future years is not likely to produce a reasonable return on that investment or worse -you may never get a return of your investment. Intangibles are just that.

Let's use Mikey's two-hundred thousand dollar investment number. Now, with that much money in your hands (figuratively), how many different businesses can you look at? There are probably a dozen or more that require that investment size and I'd bet a nice warm cup of coffee, there are several that will produce a better return on that investment than Snap-On.

Around here, diesel is $3.60 a gallon. When it's $5.50 a gallon, how will that impact your bottom line?

I'll bet shot of Bailey's in that cup of coffee, you haven't written a business plan. It's an absolute necessity. You can buy biz plan software on the web. If you're not comfortable attacking the biz plan project, ask someone at your bank for help or direction and contact SCORE - the Service Core of Retired Executives and contact the SBA - Small Business Administration for assistance and advise. Talk to as many people as you can.

Talk to other truck tool sales guys and see how long it takes before they offer to sell you their business.

I think Snap-On has a very unstable future. I'd tell Snap-On to Snap-Off.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

I think on a whole the tools are not the problem. Most of the tools under the brand name are pretty darn good IMO. As far as business'es go the investment required does not provide substantial enough return, again IMO. I have a friend who went through the entire program when the local guy wanted to get out, only to back out at the last minute due to the investment. He gave it a fair an honest evaluation and could have afforded to invest.

Also I have noticed that the Industrial accounts will cut the throat of the independents such as yourself. Through my company I can buy my snap-on tools right around dealer cost. Snap-on doesn't care which division sells the tools, just that they get sold.

I admire anyone who runs a truck with integrity but it is a pretty tough go out there. I think it would be fun and you would meet lots of interesting people but do your research first.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5
Also I have noticed that the Industrial accounts will cut the throat of the independents such as yourself.
Ain't that the truth. And the industrial guys don't need a truck, just a briefcase with contract papers, and some catalogs. They show up, say their spiel, and then send you the parts via courier or mail. Then the indy dealer shows up in his $125,000 truck, with $250,000 of tools, and trys to make a living. Snap On cuts the throtes of their people. As long as the product moves, they don't care how it moves.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugg
Hey NovaGuy........

I'll bet shot of Bailey's in that cup of coffee, you haven't written a business plan. It's an absolute necessity. You can buy biz plan software on the web. If you're not comfortable attacking the biz plan project, ask someone at your bank for help or direction and contact SCORE - the Service Core of Retired Executives and contact the SBA - Small Business Administration for assistance and advise. Talk to as many people as you can.

Talk to other truck tool sales guys and see how long it takes before they offer to sell you their business.
Oh dear God, I didn't even think of that. Oh my God, we think "I know how to use tools, I know all about them, I can sell them". A BUSINESS selling tools is a WHOLE different story!

You MUST bring the whole thing to a business consultant and pay the bucks to educate yourself. I have a co-worker whos brother wanted to go in partners on a resturant. He asked our boss about it and he said he would have his business adviser look it over, on him. The adviser did, told him and his brother not to do it, the numbers didn't add up. My co-worker backed out of the deal, his brother didn't, and was mad as hell my co-worker wouldn't go in. Well, about a year and a half is all it took, he went belly up and knew by the time that happened (gotten smart) that the seller had lied thru his teeth to sell the joint. He now has lost his home AND the resturant.

Brian
Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Last journal entry: Swinger
Last photo:

The Company is making a change for the better aparently. This would be a slaried position. Opportunity for a bonus. Brand new truck paid for and gas card included. Same as a franchisee, however I'd be a flagship truck. Just like the Sprint Store with all the good stuf, or a Super Walmart versus a regular one. Best of everything. It includes rigorous training and such. Looks like a truly great job actually. Sure it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but Im 23, no girl, no house, no college and I have a phenominal sales background. Plus I know about cars and tools. I am competing with 10-20 guys in the area. I feel like I slam dunked the interview this morning. I find out next week what they have to say. Pays wells too... Full benfits and such after 30 days. I will fill you in as I learn more.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

So then you will be a company employee, instead of a franchisee....
Many of the big companies who want to make all the money go that route...for a while ..Ask your manager how much of a discount you can give to your better customers.

Good luck.

Later, mikey

Old 03-11-2008, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

I have two words for the Snap-On, Mac, Matco and Cornwell dealers in my area and I can't tell you what they are on here, kids looking and stuff.

I'd rather go to a parts house and get the specialty tools I need from OTC or any other supplier they may have and use Sears for my hand tools and boxes.

Larry
Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't say that, the Snappy truck still has some great stuff. They have some low quality tools too, but that is the slipping that America is doing, lowering ourselves to the common denominator.

The tools still are great, the "business" side of it, that leaves a lot to be desired.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.