Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Snap-On tools are for fools
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just a reply to a few comments. As I said, I don't know that I would do it...but at the cost of Snap-On tools you could buy enough of the same tool from H-F and they would last the rest of your life...you wouldn't care if the tool pusher ever came around. If one breaks you could just pick up a new one that was waiting on the sideline.
Shine is right on, I don't want to think about how many tools I have...but some are Craftsmen. I have never, NEVER had any salesman look at a tool and question anything, they just give a new on. If the product has inproved, which a lot of Craftsmen tools have, you get a better product. I can't even get a replacement from the Snap-off dweebs.
I realize that it is a broad issue. About 20 years ago( well maybe longer) Matco upgraded the quality of their tools and I bought a complete metric 12 point wrench set(6-14 mm). About a month later the 6 point wrench bent and broke( it's only about 3 inches long, so the amount of leverage I could apply is small. The dealer said it was abused and he wouldn't replace it......WHAT. I wasted no time, probably after he left the shop, calling MATCO corp. To their credit and completely different than how Snap-OFF runs their show, they made the dealer bring me a new wrench and I had to sign a note for MATCO saying that he had replaced it. I never had any problems with that dealer again.
The funniest part about my experience is that I have had several apprentices that were needing to buy tools..and they WANTED Snap-On. But after seeing the poor service I received from them( especially in relation to the amount of tools I have),they have realized that it is similar to the Wizard of Oz...looks are decieving and hype is...well,hype. They purchase Craftsmen now, and anything else that isn't from snap-off.