Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Snap-On tools are for fools
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have a few Snap Off tools but only a few that I really needed like their long handled wrenches and one very special tool...a 3/8" drive inch/pound torque wrench. It has a fine tooth ratchet and was very expensive at the time, I used it mainly for adjusting Ford transmisson bands.

When I borrowed it to a friend he (like an idiot) used it to remove a fastener and promptly broke the ratchet.

I would see the Snap On dealer regularly and gave him the tool for ratchet replacement, he told me he could only give me a coarse tooth insert for repair and handed me the kit for me to replace. I asked him to order the fine tooth ratchet and I would pay for it when he came again.

I tried to install the coarse insert but it did not fit the special shaped head of the torque wrench, it was obviously for a normal 3/8 ratchet.

Over the next three years I bugged him during every visit for that fine tooth insert and it was always some excuse. One week its on backorder, the next its out of stock blah blah blah.

I never did get a replacement ratchet insert and eventually just welded the thing in one position, I can use the tool without the ratchet feature for the jobs I have for it.

Years later I was driving out of town and seen him driving on the highway in a heavy snowfall, I was right behind him. Suddenly he veered off the road and plowed into the ditch, I stopped and asked if he was OK. He was OK and I offered to give him a ride. He asked if I could phone his house for his wife to come and pick him up once I got into cellphone range since he didn't want to leave the truck unattended as it would get robbed blind if he left it, I told him I would try to remember to call his wife.

Never seen him again, never did call his wife.