Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Snap-On tools are for fools
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I am always blown away by the figures guys throw out there that they have in tools.

I know that a mechanic has more specialty tools, many more sometimes.

I know that some guys have tool boxes full of tools they don't use.

I have made a living for 35 years with my tools and I have $12500 including the box! Most Snap On or Mac, all quality tools, and I don't "need" any more. How is it I can do this and others need fifty grand in tools?

Brian

I don't know an exact figure but I can get close at around (conservative estimate) $70,000 in tools in my box(s) when I was still on the job. Where the big bucks came in was the 3/4" and 1" drive stuff, heck the sockets for my 1" drive went up to 4 1/2". When you get into really heavy equipment it is easy to spend a lot of money, just price a 100 ton EnerPac hydraulic ram for instance. A large portion of what I had was bought used and a lot of it was bought in early 70's dollars and I can just imagine what a set-up like that would cost today. This was for tools to maintain D11 Caterpillar dozers, 240 ton rock trucks and huge mining shovels and draglines so I would think it would cost substantially less to outfit a tool box in an automotive shop even in today's dollars.