Snap-On tools are for fools - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Ask me about Ethanol

Last journal entry: 65 GTO
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Some of the experiences with Snap On I have had havent been enjoyable either. Started at a new shop that appeared to be busy. I bought $300 worth of stuff from Snap On, and everything was fine as long as the shop had customers. Nobody came back and it was the low season Nov-March, the shop folded three months after I got there. Couldnt find work so I worked out of my backyard garage building transmissions and doing brake work.

I called and let him know it would be a month or so before I could get him paid. I showed with the cash and he had tacked on 50% interest for that month. Gave me the song and dance I was late and he owed on the stuff he sold me, etc. So I stopped by to pay him after the next trans, and now the bill was $700 for $300 worth of stuff that I already had paid $300 on. I told him in no uncertain terms to get bent and he woudnt be seeing any more cash from me. Needless to say I dont bother with them anymore. If I need a tool that only they have, or I break the ones from everyone else, I will order it online and cut out the guys on the truck.

I found the wrenches from CarQuest work pretty well, Craftsman has come a long way. I used to round off every fastener I touched with their wrenches particularly the line wrenches, lately the stuff I have gotten from Sears has been much better. I wont bother with HF stuff, the only thing of theirs I bought that hasnt broken is a small press I use for pinion bearings and the like. I have SK at one of the parts stores, and they are still decent, so if I need something I get it from anyone but the truck, and I always pay cash to avoid usury.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 06:29 PM

No question Snap-On has great quality tools and fortunately we have an excellent rep. We never have an issue with returns. But I have heard a lot of bad stories in the past couple of years and that is not a good thing for them. I don't mind spending the money for quality and service but you better give it or your out the door. Quickly. There are plenty of shops in pretty small area to keep him very busy so I think it must be easier for him to service the customers. We have talked about it and he said frankly it lands on the guy driving the truck. If he doesn't stay on top of requests and returns or keep a proper stock level it's going to piss people off. And if you become a collection Nazi no one will buy more from you once they are paid up. Less hassle to buy elsewhere.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Woodz , I agree with you 100 and 20 %. When I first started mechanics (for a living ) it was with a foreign car dealership so I had to buy a lot of metric wrenches and socket sets. When the Snap-on truck came by the shop I went and looked to see what he had and his prices, he was way out of my price range. We had a new baby and I just could not afford the money he wanted. So after talking to the mechanics in the shop all of them told me to go to Sears ,who set me up a affordable account and I bought almost every thing I needed. Just about every mechanic in this shop had been burned by Snap-on or Mac.Every body finally quit buying off of these trucks and they quit coming to the shop. I guess that the way these people do business must be part of dealer training ( if they have any!) because this is the same way of doing business that I have heard of for the last 35-40 years.
On returning broken tools .....This reminds me of a time when I went with my cousin to return a broken 3/4 breaker bar to Sears. This was in the late 60's I was home on leave and I went by the shop where he worked. Now he was a heavy equipment mechanic ,mainly bull dozers he had been doing this since he was 14 and he was in his late 30's. We took the breaker bar to Sears and he laid the breaker bar on the counter and told the man he needed a replacement. Now the bar was not broke but the drive piece had rotated in the head and bent the rotation pin so badly that the head was jammed so badly the head would not move .The man behind the counter picked it up looked at it and said "Dam man how long of cheater pipe did you use on this to do this!....These things are just about impossible to break ." Gilbert pulled his arms up in a strongman pose and said "Never needed one."His upper body was massive and his fore arm and biceps were big as the average mans leg muscles .Paul Sr. on OCC reminds me of Gilbert only Gilbert was taller and maybe little more built.He was a gentle giant .
Kenny
Old 09-28-2009, 03:11 AM

Last photo:

I'm not a car wrench, but I do work with tools for a living. I believe that Snap-on builds a better quality tool than Craftsman.

But I prefer Craftsman over Snap-on. The reason? Same warranty, and I don't have to chase the Sears guy down. Sears has been in the same place for 50 years, and I couldn't find the damn Snap-on guy if you put a gun to my head.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I agree with most every thing posted here but I think the title of the thread is a little off base. I know a lot of sharp people that have Snap On tools in their boxes and I have seen a lot of them I would like to have but would never spend the money on them. I still have most of the Craftsman I bought at a Sears Grand Opening Sale in Dec, 1970. I have modified one of the line wrenches and a 9/16-5/8 long box, thinking at the time I could replace them. Well, the "newer stuff" is bigger, bulkier and just not the same. I have been plowing through the used tools at Charlotte every year looking for replacements but can't find them. When I see tools listed at garage sales, I stop and look. All but one of my original ratchets have been replace after about 35 years of use and I screwed up by taking a new one instead of the repair kit that I was offered. I have replaced both of the replacements after a couple of years use and need to replace them again. I have added them to my list of used ones to look for. I have two Cresent Kits that I picked up for cheap at Sams Club and those tools seem to be as good a quality as my original Craftsman tools. Only time will tell. They get used a lot and are my "go any where" travel kits, though one has been mounted to the wall in the new shop.

Snap On and the other "direct vendors" need to re look at their marketing and distribution methods and practices or they are going to be gone. In my opinion, they are in the death throws already by lowering their quality and keeping the same high prices. Does not work very long.

Trees
Old 09-28-2009, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

I have used both S&K and Snap-On under brutal conditions, far above anything a socket should be expected to endure and the S&K will hold up with the best of them. The Snap-On flank drive design makes it one of the very best sockets for gripping a fastener and it will remove some that would be rounded off by most brands but the S&K works really good in this respect too. What has impressed me about S&K is the pounding those things will take without breaking and I am talking about major abuse not just heavy use, S&K tools are not cheap but they are not over-priced either when you consider what you get and overall they are probably a better bargain than Snap-On. Of course considering that what this thread is about is not an isolated case I have to admit that as much as I like Snap-On quality I think they have become a terrible investment, I never would have thought I would be saying that but facts are facts and what Snap-On is doing to their customers just can't be ignored!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

my box consists of Stanley, Craftsmen, Taskforce and HF and misc Kobalt..... my experience with the snap on dealers are, there high preassure sales, and push the credit line thing
Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Strap-on sucks as's ......bought my last one 15yrs ago 6months old and wouldnt replace it, right then off the truck...told him its the last one I'll ever buy.....he stopped by once a month after that insted of weekly ,till he figured out I was serious...havent missed them at all ....Three times what thier worth....Its Sears for me too....and HF.....They better not come asking for a bailout too,Thier pulling the same credit BS ...no credit no problem,but they dont get the tools back they end up in pawn shops...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

I'll keep my Snap-ons. In 50 yearsThey have never given me a problem except for the 3/8" rachets. I've lost a coupleof wrenches, but I can't blame that on the seller. If you're not buying, of course they don't come around, but I have always gave them a call when I needed something and they were there in a few days.
Seems like I was always the one the other mechanics came to when their brand x tools gave up the ghost on them in the middle of the job.
I've been away from professional mechanics for a couple years now, but the local dealer stopped by the house a while back just to see if I needed anything. Maybe it's something you said.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61bone
Seems like I was always the one the other mechanics came to when their brand x tools gave up the ghost on them in the middle of the job.

I know what you mean on that one! Seems most of the new guys would try to buy cheaper tools, usually Craftsman, because the Snap-On prices were too high- or so they thought until they worked a while. When a tool breaks out there you can't just take off and go get one and it gets embarrassing having to borrow from the guys who bought the right tools in the first place so the new guys learned real quick. If the brand "X" tools would hold up as well as the pro stuff that's what most of the people out there would be using but all those guys who own Snap-On and other pro quality tools know what counts and they know the good stuff is worth the price. My Snap-On dealer was like yours and was very helpful with any kind of problem but unfortunately it has gotten to the point that the problem Woods is having is more common than not. The way some Snap-On dealers are doing their customers well that is simply inexcusable and the big wigs at the corporate headquarters better get their act together and line these guys out or they are not going to be able to sell anything!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I'm not so sure that this thread was about the quality of tools as much as the unethical practices of the mobile tool truck salesmen. Cha-ching!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:57 PM

There's nothing wrong with Craftsman...at least Sears will warranty them no questions asked. It's the same old story with vendors...as long as ur buying or u owe them money they show up. The minute u quit buying or pay everything off...they disappear.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Forgive me if this has been brought up but I didn't read ever post, just skipped around a little.

The stupid thing about the whole argument is TIMES HAVE CHANGED!

When I bought my first tools as a pro over 30 years ago there was Snap On and JUNK, hardly any middle ground at all. Craftsmen wrenches were friggin CLUBS they were like using a 3/4 ton truck to do gardening work. They were rough edged, bulky CLUBS.

And them and anything on that level were the only thing in the middle, below that was the Chinese garbage that would break the first time it was used. There were Craftsmen tool boxes and Snap on, that was it. Mac was around as well and maybe Matco though I didn't see a Matco truck until about 20 years ago.

My point being that there was a time when you were a hack if you didn't have Snap On tools. And I don't mean that like "peer pressure" though that existed too. No, I mean that if you were a pro, you used the best and nothing but the best. Snap On was the best hands down.

Today, all that has changed, hell a Craftsmen rachet (the upper end fully chromed ones) are as good as Snap On for far less money. This goes for sockets and everything else. Even phillups screw drivers that I would die for are now "common" with much cheaper ones doing as good a job and lasting as long.

I have a mixture of Snap On, S&K, Craftsmen, Gear Wrench and many other tools in my Mac tool chest. I have picked them over the years and I will not use anything but the best at work. So yes, over the years things have changed but if you want out and out quality with no questions, the "tool trucks" still have the best hands down.

If you have the time to figure it all out, you can do it without them. But there was a time, there was no choice. It was the tool trucks or junk, PERIOD.

I know one thing, as my very wise brother said years ago when talking about this subject. "I have never said to my self, DAMN, I wish I would have bought the CHEAPER tool".

I think that is damn profound. I have thousands of dollars in tools (not as much as a lot of people because I ONLY buy what I need, I am not a tool junkie) and I have never looked at them and said "Damn I have wasted money".

Brian
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

How about Snap-ons' great lifetime warranty? I've seen some used tools advertised on E bay saying the tools have a lifetime warranty, and if there's a problem, all someone has to do is go to a dealer.
Try not to laugh. If I track down a dealer, and walk up to him with a busted tool, is he obligated to exchange it for a new one? Ok, you can laugh now.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
How about Snap-ons' great lifetime warranty? I've seen some used tools advertised on E bay saying the tools have a lifetime warranty, and if there's a problem, all someone has to do is go to a dealer.
Try not to laugh. If I track down a dealer, and walk up to him with a busted tool, is he obligated to exchange it for a new one? Ok, you can laugh now.
In a word, YES. I know one thing, I buy a tool now and then from my tool truck dealers. Not much, as I have all the tools I need. But every once in a while I get something. And because I step on the truck now and then they WILL fix tools or replace them without so much as a grunt.

Brian

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.