Hot Rod Forum banner

Snap-On tools are for fools

122K views 87 replies 50 participants last post by  Carlos Murphy 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the first post( I will be posting the same on all the forums I am a member of as well as running a local ad indefinetly) of my press on Snap -On tools (trolls??) to get me some dealer service. I have been a Tech since 1969 and have app.$40-$60K in Snap-On tools( that is at the purchase price, not current costs) I have purchased in the last 30 years. I have been unable to get a Snap-On rep to visit my shop in over 5 years. Warrantees are worthless if there is no service. I have contacted Snap-On corp at least a dozen times in the last 5 years by phone and e-mail. Their position is that dealers are independent business owners and they can't make them do anything. Pretty much what I was told a decade ago when one of the dealers overcharged me for an impact wrench. Keep that in mind when you look at the tool prices. I now have to contact a shop that is 15 miles away and then make time to leave my business in order to give that shop a tool and wait until the Sanp -On dealer gets it replaced. Oddly when I owed them for the tools I saw them every week.
If you are a new Tech and looking at buying tools, let me give you some info. Snap-on, like most tool companies, don't make their tools they subcontract out just like Sears,Matco or Mac ( as well as all others). They pride themselves on their quality and service. That only exists while you owe them money, it doesn't seem to apply when you own everything.
Let's see, if I had not chosen Snap-On tools..how would things be different?? I would still possesss the same knowledge, they didn't supply any of it. I would have saved more than enough money to allow me to waste my time trying to get a tool warranteed. The credit that Snap-On extended to purchase tools doesn't go toward your home loan application...or really any credit score...the Sears one does. After buying tools for 40 years from Sears, I would have had some credit to go on my home loan or other loans, plus if I needed a tool replaced..Sears is in the same place as it had been for 35 years. I wouldn't have had to make some of the decisions about what I could get for my children because I wouldn't have been financially leveraged to Snap-Off. I also wouldn't have put my dealers kids through college while I was couldn't afford to put my kids through. BUT, I did it because they SAID that they would always service me...BULL*****.
If you are a starting Tech DO NOT buy into the Snap-OFF propaganda. Save yourself a lot of money and buy from someone that will be there even when you have paid them off. It will help your credit rating as well as cut down some of the spats with your spouse over the amount you spend on tools. I hope they go the route of the Tupperware party, they have a similar business model.
As a final note, although I wouldn't neccesarily do it( I already bought my tools form the charlatans that represent Snap-on)...BUT...for the amount you would spend on virtually any Snap-OFF tool you could buy a dozen at Harbor Freight and never even need to see a dealer. As they break you pick up a new one and throw the other in the trash, pretty much what I am going to be doing with my Snap-OFF tools over the next bunch of years.
I contacted, for the final time, Snap-OFF corporation with my intentions to run this as well as the local ads and gave them more than 2 weeks to respond and they apparently thought I was bluffing...I am not.

See less See more
#52 ·
If you have a good SO guy you get good service. When he quits or retires you have a pot shoot if you get any service.

I'm 51 and grew up doing ag and heavy construction repair. I've used Craftsman successfully for many years.

I have spent more then 40k on Snap on as well over the years. The tools that I have the most problems warrantying have been Snap on. Some dealers are great others are just plain crooks.

Now for the comment on independent tool dealers. There are many of them around the country.

There is no Franchise junk when you do it. You buy a truck or van. Find a good distributor that will work with you stock up and hit the streets.

The most common tools on them are SK, Armstrong and some Wright. Gearwrench is starting to become more common.

You buy the tools wholesale and sell them retail. Lisle,OTC,Sunnex and several others supply most of the special tools. (They also supply many of SO,MAC, and Matco's)

#53 ·
froggy2 said:
bla bla bla thats all i hear,snap-on is the maker of fine quality tools i know ,i have been a mechanic for 35 years and my tool box is full there is around at last count 85,000 dollars in the stupid box,but anyways you know the snap-on dude wont show up at your shop if you never buy anything,come on now if you were selling tools ,would you go to places that dont buy tools HELL NO,so if you want to see him buy something sometimes,i got the same problem and im in canada but if i buy a thing or two ,he shows up every secon week to see if he cant get some of my money and that's when i nail him with broken tools,it's not rocket science get with the program LOL.

I am always blown away by the figures guys throw out there that they have in tools.

I know that a mechanic has more specialty tools, many more sometimes.

I know that some guys have tool boxes full of tools they don't use. :rolleyes:

I have made a living for 35 years with my tools and I have $12500 including the box! Most Snap On or Mac, all quality tools, and I don't "need" any more. How is it I can do this and others need fifty grand in tools?

Brian

#54 ·
If you see a Snap On tool in my box, it probably belongs to someone else.

I see Snap On branded items at my local Ace Hardware store. Snap On has rented their name to importers of Chinese stuff such as trouble lights and I think it's a harbinger of a trend that will erode the futures of the very people who made them a household name.

If I were a Snap On truck route franchisee, I'd get out of the business as fast as I could.

I wonder if the Snap On name will show up on products at Wal-Mart?

#55 ·
MARTINSR said:
I am always blown away by the figures guys throw out there that they have in tools.

I have made a living for 35 years with my tools and I have $12500 including the box! Most Snap On or Mac, all quality tools, and I don't "need" any more. How is it I can do this and others need fifty grand in tools?

Brian

I don't know an exact figure but I can get close at around (conservative estimate) $70,000 in tools in my box(s) when I was still on the job. Where the big bucks came in was the 3/4" and 1" drive stuff, heck the sockets for my 1" drive went up to 4 1/2". When you get into really heavy equipment it is easy to spend a lot of money, just price a 100 ton EnerPac hydraulic ram for instance. A large portion of what I had was bought used and a lot of it was bought in early 70's dollars and I can just imagine what a set-up like that would cost today. :pain: This was for tools to maintain D11 Caterpillar dozers, 240 ton rock trucks and huge mining shovels and draglines so I would think it would cost substantially less to outfit a tool box in an automotive shop even in today's dollars.

#56 ·
MARTINSR said:

Brian
A bodymans tools havent changed a whole lot over the years....On the other hand a mechanics tools Have to be updated every time some engineer thinks up some crazy new way to design somthing plus all the differnt tools for differnt models. For instance: I just changed the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate in my 70 bug and had to buy a special tool to hold the flywheel while torking the nut .... I'd hate to spend the money a good , top notch mechanic does on tools.

#57 ·
Yeah, the big rig stuff, that is a whole different ball game. I know my larger Snap On wrenches (26 mm is as big as I go) are about $100 each. I do have sockets (S-K for impact and MAC short for reg duty) go up to 35.

Deadman, I have bought updated tools over the years, but it sure is a lot less than a mechanic I guess.

Brian

#58 · (Edited)
My first Snap-on Dealer sold tools out of his '55 2dr station wagon. He finally got too old. This was in the late '60. Old fella. Great old guy. He would charge tools too.

Until 1980 or so the dealers would just give you a new ratchet if yours broke.

THEN it changed, they would repair them, or have to send them in. If my impact went out I didn't need to wait several weeks to get a replacement. He started to catch a lot of flack from all of us. One dealer did carry rebuilt to replace your broken ratchet and such. I did not mind that. Scratched broken tool, for a scratched working one. Some of it was not his fault, as Snap-on changed on how they treated the dealers on this stuff. I did have one tool man that actually worked for Snap-on. I have not seen a poor tool dealer.

I later bought tools from a "tool guy" that sold tools out of the trunk of his caddy. He did stand behind what he sold. Good CP air stuff. He finally died . I have never had a tool man since then.

My first tool set was one of those Craftsman with Big top and bottom boxes, plus a bunch of tools. I still have them. Some Mac stuff tools.

#59 ·
mixed bag is better?

my father was a 50s rodder and he started out using any old thing he could that still wasn't broken. later along comes Snap On and he finally sees real quality, relative to the day. Goes nuts and buys it all. later I come along and putter in the garage with what lays around, no snap on, thats all locked in the big box. Dad helps me choose my first Craftsman 600 pc set, and its not bad but does not do any more or less than dad's worn snap on stuff. years have passed and now I have 2 craftsman sockets, total. the rest is pretul, lisle, wurth, obi or any other brand that offered a great tool at a good price. none of it cheap!!! even some of the german stuff, which cost big, is made in asian countries but is soooo nice! (wurth) bottom line, get what works and breaks the least!!! even my chinese 3/4 socket set has 3 years of use in heavy equiptment service and I have not broken one thing....that cost 100 dollars....just avoid putting them on the impact and they hold up. abuse is a bigger problem than guarantees sometimes! use your head and rest your wallets.

#60 ·
when I was a wrench I always got picked on for my "Crapsmans " well one of our "School eddumbcated Techs " who picked on me because of my tools was a Snapon only guy and told me a mechanic was only as good as his tools , well the tool destroyed the owner of the shops sons car engine trying to prove to us it was a loose flexplate when it was a Rod Knock ( even I knew it ) well after mr Snap on was finished dropping in the replacement motor in the regal he was shown the door , well that must mean Snapon s where junk acording to him ... I only have Snap on Hydraulic wrenches and line wrenches as they seem to work better than other I have had , recently I step on the tool wagon and asked for some hydraulic wrenches to replace the ones I lost over the years , I didn't have enought money on me at the time and he wanted me to open an account , told him If I don't have the cash I don't buy . looked at me odd , he showed up the next week and I paid cash for them ( I looked up the prices online to see if I was getting gouged first , his prices are right inline with corp ) we have a used/offbrand guy who shows up I like his prices and he carry allot of good deals and I can call him on saterday and get tools delivered ( even met him one time at his house to get a wrench I needed on a saterday night ) .

#61 ·
Snap on tools

I have a large assortment of Snap on tools that I have acquired over 30 years. They do make very nice tools but customer service is severely lacking. The Craftsman brand has come a long way since the 70's. They are very fine tools now. I recently received a set of Stanley brand wrenches as a Gift for fixing a friends hotrod. I was amazed by how nice the Stanley brand was. Probably will buy more Stanley hand tools. I have great luck with Snap on torque wrenches. I have had one since 1982 and it stills works great! Yea, It was expensive back then, but 27 years of service has paid for itself many times over. With that said, I will end up only buying Craftsman and Stanley from now on. Even if money/cost is not an issue, why waste it.

#62 ·
Studebaker said:
I have great luck with Snap on torque wrenches. With that said, I will end up only buying Craftsman and Stanley from now

I think if you buy a Craftsman torque wrench you may just rethink the part about them being nice! Craftsman torque wrenches are junk, mine fell apart while hanging on a peg board garage wall! I think the exact same thing happened to someone else here and when I took the stinking thing back to Sears they said they would send it out for repair but it cost within $10 of the price of a new one! :rolleyes: The guy working there also told me what I already figured, that this was a common problem with them. Also when those Craftsman sockets crack and/or slip and round off a fastener head you will remember why you bought Snap-On in the first place. It is not just brand loyalty that I am talking about I have seen Craftsman side by side with Snap-On, S-K, etc for many years and there simply is no comparison. Craftsman is just fine for home shops or hobby work but they are not near the quality of the real pro tools and they will let you down more often than you might think, that is the kind of thing that gets expensive in a hurry for the pro. Craftsman sockets will sometimes ruin a fastener that a Snap-On flank drive would have no problem with, I have SEEN this! Snap-On will take abuse that Craftsman would never take and it is these kinds of things that make the difference. I have said it before, it makes no sense for the home or small shop mechanic to spend the kind of money that the pro tools cost but there is a quality difference that makes extra expense more than worth it for the true pro. Craftsman is very good for what they are meant for but anyone who says they are as good a Snap-On is kidding themselves, they are not as good, not even close!

#64 ·
oldred said:
I think if you buy a Craftsman torque wrench you may just rethink the part about them being nice! Craftsman torque wrenches are junk, mine fell apart while hanging on a peg board garage wall! I think the exact same thing happened to someone else here and when I took the stinking thing back to Sears they said they would send it out for repair but it cost within $10 of the price of a new one! :rolleyes: The guy working there also told me what I already figured, that this was a common problem with them. Also when those Craftsman sockets crack and/or slip and round off a fastener head you will remember why you bought Snap-On in the first place. It is not just brand loyalty that I am talking about I have seen Craftsman side by side with Snap-On, S-K, etc for many years and there simply is no comparison. Craftsman is just fine for home shops or hobby work but they are not near the quality of the real pro tools and they will let you down more often than you might think, that is the kind of thing that gets expensive in a hurry for the pro. Craftsman sockets will sometimes ruin a fastener that a Snap-On flank drive would have no problem with, I have SEEN this! Snap-On will take abuse that Craftsman would never take and it is these kinds of things that make the difference. I have said it before, it makes no sense for the home or small shop mechanic to spend the kind of money that the pro tools cost but there is a quality difference that makes extra expense more than worth it for the true pro. Craftsman is very good for what they are meant for but anyone who says they are as good a Snap-On is kidding themselves, they are not as good, not even close!
As a bodyman working on smaller bolts, I have used Craftsmen 1/4" sockets exclusivly for a number of years without a problem.

This is both with a Matco air ratchet, nut drivers and ratchets. I haven't broke a single one but it is nice to only have to spend a few dollars when I loose them. :)

Brian

#65 ·
I'm not using tools as a pro, but I get a fair bit of use out of what I have...

I like Fuller. They've only let me down once, a 10mm socket split when I put way too much force on it.

But I have to say that I have a set of impact sockets, a cheap set too. If I have a nut I think will round off, or if it's rounded, I get these hexagonal impact sockets out and use them instead.

We have a lot of Chinese stuff here. Buying it is a lottery.

#66 ·
Considering that in 30 plus years of working on equipment I've broken more Snap-on and messed up more bolts with Snap-on I would have to say that my experience differs from yours.

I was working on a s10 blazer a couple of days ago and I broke not one but three 10mm Snap-on sockets. This was the bolts holding the fan shroud in place. Of course I also have to say that two MAC sockets failed on the same bolt.

Finally dug out an old Bonney 10mm and removed the shroud with no further problems.

Final scorw tool truck sockets -5 shroud for the win.

#67 ·
hmmmmm

woodz428 said:
This is the first post( I will be posting the same on all the forums I am a member of as well as running a local ad indefinetly) of my press on Snap -On tools (trolls??) to get me some dealer service. I have been a Tech since 1969 and have app.$40-$60K in Snap-On tools( that is at the purchase price, not current costs) I have purchased in the last 30 years. I have been unable to get a Snap-On rep to visit my shop in over 5 years. Warrantees are worthless if there is no service. I have contacted Snap-On corp at least a dozen times in the last 5 years by phone and e-mail. Their position is that dealers are independent business owners and they can't make them do anything. Pretty much what I was told a decade ago when one of the dealers overcharged me for an impact wrench. Keep that in mind when you look at the tool prices. I now have to contact a shop that is 15 miles away and then make time to leave my business in order to give that shop a tool and wait until the Sanp -On dealer gets it replaced. Oddly when I owed them for the tools I saw them every week.
If you are a new Tech and looking at buying tools, let me give you some info. Snap-on, like most tool companies, don't make their tools they subcontract out just like Sears,Matco or Mac ( as well as all others). They pride themselves on their quality and service. That only exists while you owe them money, it doesn't seem to apply when you own everything.
Let's see, if I had not chosen Snap-On tools..how would things be different?? I would still possesss the same knowledge, they didn't supply any of it. I would have saved more than enough money to allow me to waste my time trying to get a tool warranteed. The credit that Snap-On extended to purchase tools doesn't go toward your home loan application...or really any credit score...the Sears one does. After buying tools for 40 years from Sears, I would have had some credit to go on my home loan or other loans, plus if I needed a tool replaced..Sears is in the same place as it had been for 35 years. I wouldn't have had to make some of the decisions about what I could get for my children because I wouldn't have been financially leveraged to Snap-Off. I also wouldn't have put my dealers kids through college while I was couldn't afford to put my kids through. BUT, I did it because they SAID that they would always service me...BULL*****.
If you are a starting Tech DO NOT buy into the Snap-OFF propaganda. Save yourself a lot of money and buy from someone that will be there even when you have paid them off. It will help your credit rating as well as cut down some of the spats with your spouse over the amount you spend on tools. I hope they go the route of the Tupperware party, they have a similar business model.
As a final note, although I wouldn't neccesarily do it( I already bought my tools form the charlatans that represent Snap-on)...BUT...for the amount you would spend on virtually any Snap-OFF tool you could buy a dozen at Harbor Freight and never even need to see a dealer. As they break you pick up a new one and throw the other in the trash, pretty much what I am going to be doing with my Snap-OFF tools over the next bunch of years.
I contacted, for the final time, Snap-OFF corporation with my intentions to run this as well as the local ads and gave them more than 2 weeks to respond and they apparently thought I was bluffing...I am not.

I know I am really late but I could not help but see this article off of Google.
I am a dealer out of Georgia and that is very unusual that has happened because anytime you contact Snap On about a new stop they email the nearest franchise in your area. Now if the dealer does not contact or service you shame on him. I pride myself on selling the best tools in the world because I know they are the best. As far as subcontracting tools out, that is not true, I have personally been to every warehouse where WE build our OWN wrenches, ratchets, sockets, tool boxes, etc... Our tools may be pricey but they are worth it. Matco and Mac and Cornhole in 2-4 years from now will be more expensive than Snap On because of the fact they cannot control their inventory they are all caught by the balls of their tool makers. You can go and buy a matco ratchet and a craftsman, gearwrench and kobalt ratchet and open them up and see that they are exactly the same thing. They are all owned by a company named Danaheur (spelling?) your paying for a name when buying the following tools and it pisses people off when i show them on my truck that can swap parts out of a matco ratchet into a craftsman because they just spent 80 dollars on a 14 dollar ratchet.

#69 ·
My dad was a professional mechanic for about 15 yrs. at a Buick dealer and he had mostly Snap-On. He never complained about the service or tool quality, but I imagine with the turn over at auto dealerships the Snap On truck was there weekly. Until 2 weeks ago, I would never have believed the Peg board incident in the previous posts (craftsman torque wrench)....My wife bought me a brand new digi-torq Craftsman torque wrench about 4 yrs. ago when I was finishing some bolt torquing on my new engine. I used it ONCE to torque down the flex plate bolts to ~75 ft/lbs...NO problem, no drama....HOWEVER, long story short, It got shelved for the past 4 yrs. I put a socket on it, went to turn the socket to check direction and it spun freely BOTH ways....took it to Sears and they said they had a 12 month warranty only....Even the salesman remarked that it looked like it never had a socket put on it. He then proceeded to show me the new ones I could buy...I laughed and left. I then went about 45 minutes away to a service center and explained. They told me the same thing, but one older tech took me aside and said to leave it with him and he would replace the rachet mechanism...two hours later he called me and I picked it up free of charge. Ask me if I would buy another one....no way....it was supposed to be one of their better ones....I'm a home diy hack, but service is nearly as important as the quality, so I will heed the Original Posters advice and scratch Snap On from my list....because I had some questions about their Saber II compliant paint gun I bought NEW, and the tech seemed almost bothered by my novice questions...tip availablility,etc....I finally found out they didn't even make the gun themselves, I bought it BECAUSE it was Snap ON....Once I got in touch with the manufacturer, they were extemely helpful, unlike the Snap ON guy.

I'm just sayin'.....

#70 ·
Hwyhogg said:
Until 2 weeks ago, I would never have believed the Peg board incident in the previous posts (craftsman torque wrench).......

Yep that one was mine, :mad: Now in addition to the other fellow here who had the same thing happen I have now heard about another one with the exact same failure so it must be a common weakness. Honestly the last time I used that thing I wiped it off and set it back to zero then placed it on the peg board where I kept it, a couple of weeks later I went use it and it literally fell apart when I picked it up-the handle end (adjustment knob?) fell off and parts fell out of the handle. Just as in your case when I took it back they told me they couldn't replace it because it was out of warranty BUT they just happened to be on sale right now would I like to buy a new one? Duh, yeah right! :rolleyes:

#71 ·
palmers ss said:
I know I am really late but I could not help but see this article off of Google.
I am a dealer out of Georgia and that is very unusual that has happened because anytime you contact Snap On about a new stop they email the nearest franchise in your area. Now if the dealer does not contact or service you shame on him. I pride myself on selling the best tools in the world because I know they are the best. As far as subcontracting tools out, that is not true, I have personally been to every warehouse where WE build our OWN wrenches, ratchets, sockets, tool boxes, etc... Our tools may be pricey but they are worth it. Matco and Mac and Cornhole in 2-4 years from now will be more expensive than Snap On because of the fact they cannot control their inventory they are all caught by the balls of their tool makers. You can go and buy a matco ratchet and a craftsman, gearwrench and kobalt ratchet and open them up and see that they are exactly the same thing. They are all owned by a company named Danaheur (spelling?) your paying for a name when buying the following tools and it pisses people off when i show them on my truck that can swap parts out of a matco ratchet into a craftsman because they just spent 80 dollars on a 14 dollar ratchet.
So just a question since you are in Savannah area and a dealer,did you supply Plant Vogtle and Plant Hatch nuclear plants when they were still buying snap ons?

They have both quit buying snap-on for the fact the quality of them was failing anymore,i have used those tools,along with several other crafts and they are breaking consitantly,we used to have to turn them back into the tool room te be replaced,but in the past years what snap on tools are left in the plants the tool guys just throw them in the trash when brought back broke.

The ratchets would fail consitantly,sockets snap under torque,the new torque wrenches they had would only last a short time,every time we have a QC hold point(Quality Control),which means before that work is signed off in the package as completed,we would have to go to the tool room,sign out a torque wrench that was tested to be accurate right there before it was allowed to be signed out and have a QC guy physicly watch us torque the work,it was getting to point most of the snap-ons were so far off base when tested,they would ditched them as junk.

I always loved snap-on tools,but from using them regularly,i could see the downfall of the quality in them in time....,are they taking shortcuts now in the process of making them to compensate the price difference in those and the cheaper brands that are flooding the market?

And I also have a best freind here in Ga who is an auto-mechanic for chevy dealers for years,but has his own biz now and he says the same thing,the quailty of snap-on has gone severely downhill,he never buys them anymore.He actualy buys Craftsmen and Kobalt at lowes for the fact if they break,no headaches waiting on a snap-on truck to show up whenever he feels like it or worry if the guy is going to say he used the tool beyond its capability..is this not what the high price for them is all about?,the no questions asked warranty?..
It's really ashame for an american made tool to be compared to all the chinese,japan,maylasia..etc tools for the price,but those tools are always replaced without question,i've NEVER had a sears salesman ask how i broke it,he just looked and seen it was broke,told me to go a get new one,then walked out the door with a smile.
Snap-On really needs to get their act back together,they are looking REALLY bad right now....

#72 ·
To touch on the last post, I just bought a Snap On F80 ratchet. It has 80 teeth on the gear, 7 teeth in contact with the locking cam, is supposed to require the least amount of travel needed to reset the ratchet. This is almost true, because even brand new on day one it is skipping teeth like crazy!

#73 ·
I have been buying tools from sears/lowes and have very minimal complaints. The Sears by me is going out of buisness so on top of their low prices it is half off of that. So I have been buying up on it. As far as snap on goes I only buy them from ebay and pawn shops, their is no way I would cough up the money to buy them from the truck.

#74 ·
K and K said:
To touch on the last post, I just bought a Snap On F80 ratchet. It has 80 teeth on the gear, 7 teeth in contact with the locking cam, is supposed to require the least amount of travel needed to reset the ratchet. This is almost true, because even brand new on day one it is skipping teeth like crazy!
Sounds slick- if/when it works. But I will throw away a ratchet the very first time it skips (unless it can be returned, that is). Too many busted knuckles through my lifetime to put up w/that crap.

I got a Craftsman thin profile 3/8 ratchet #44995 awhile ago (10 years?) and like it fine- it has 60 'clicks' to a full rotation, so isn't super fine-toothed, but better than most in that regard. It feels good in the hand. And hasn't skipped- yet. :p

I haven't counted how many ratchets I actually own- but it must be going on 3 dozen. Maybe more. It's a disease.

#75 ·
I have not had problems with my tool dealer like woods428 has described. I believe what he is saying though. Pretty heavy criticism but i have heard it from guys at other shops. Personally i have not had problems like this .
I do own a few other brands like Fluke Meters and such(actually says MATCO on it) .
I own mostly snap on tools ( 90 % or better )
I have owned a Snap on FAR 25 1/4 air ratchet for about 10 years and it is still going strong.The only time it has been oiled is when its been dropped in oil.
I have broken very few ratchets or sockets and i dont recall ever breaking a snap on wrench.I have bent a few but never broken one.
I make my living with my tools and I dont buy MAC tools and I have very few Matco tools. I live in a small town and the MAC guy never comes around and he is not worth the mention.
I havent seen a matco truck since I left florida.
I got rid of ALL my MAC tools because I could never get service in most of the places I have lived.
Snap On tools are the best out there as far as I am concerned. Bad customer service doesnt make a bad tool it just makes for bad business and hard feelings.If all I had to do all day was to ride around in a truck and talk to mechanics and sell tools and collect money,I wouldnt have much to complain about.Sounds like a pretty good rap if you ask me.

#76 · (Edited)
As long as you respect your tools they should hold up, If you put a 4ft cheater bar on a ratchet, then your taking the risk of breaking it. If you put a purpose built breaker bar on it to get it loose then go to the ratchet then you dont have to worry about breaking gears. Same goes with the people that crank up the torque to max on their impact guns and use them as as breakers and wonder why their guns break.

Am I afraid to buy Snapon knowing there is no warranty behind them if theres no truck? Not at all. Having a Plan B is a smart idea. Im not afraid to admit I have a craftsman backup set just in case a snapon tool breaks and vise versa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.