Snap-On tools are for fools - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

In the 2 shops I work out of it,s been 6 years and no Snap-off truck. I have about $800 in broken tools. Sears baby way much better. You don't need to be a weather man to see where the wind is blowin from. I give Snap-off 5 years till they go under.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Will Snap On "go under", oh yes I see the writing on the wall. As I said, the times have changed and the line between the finest tools you can buy and the more "affordable" tools has been blurred.

One of the reasons is how Snap On has the "value line" tools as well on their truck. If a person going on the Snap On truck sees the same cheapie tools as he does at the cheapie tool store or web site the Snap On truck has lost it's edge. There was a time as I said when you went to Snap On because they were the best hands down, no thinking about it. Now, you can get almost as good of tool for a lot less money elsewhere and you they have cheapie tools as well on the truck, what in the heck are they? Are they the best tools or aren't they?

The one thing that will keep them going is the credit, that will keep them going for a long time be damned the tools they sell.

Brian
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

iv got all craftsman tools at home, at work i work out of the bosses tool box which consists of matco and snap on. the ratchets are nicer but other then that iv yet to see a difference, all the other mechanics make fun of craftsman tools like alot of mechanics. i think it boils down to people thinking the tool makes the mechanic, which is easy to get caught up in.

one thing i have to say about craftsman tho is that there ratchet wrenches are the absolute worse iv ever seen, got a set of gear wrench ratchet wrenches and im extremely impressed with them for the price. craftsmans screwdrivers are pretty lame as well, but extremely cheap, really tough, and i can always have them replaced when they brake.

im glad i read this, ill be going to school next year to become a gm certified master tech and iv been holding off on buying various tools i find myself needing for certain jobs because ill get snap on and matco tools half price, but after reading this i could care less about that, a tool aint worth much if you cant get any service on it. after reading this ill have no problem just buying tools at sears.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 PM

I have not seen my Snap-On Dealer

In over three months; My Cornwell dealer went bankrupt last year; my Mac dealer went out years ago; a new Mac dealer came & he literally got ran out of town; (from so many mechanics who had just such a bad taste in there mouths with Mac Tools.) So were does this all leave us; broken quality tools where we spend top dollar on tools & service. I must admit; I have started quite a collection of harbor frieght tools in the last year or so; always had Craftsman too; but there is nothining like a professional tool; to do a professional job;
Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubjel
In over three months; My Cornwell dealer went bankrupt last year; my Mac dealer went out years ago; a new Mac dealer came & he literally got ran out of town; (from so many mechanics who had just such a bad taste in there mouths with Mac Tools.) So were does this all leave us; broken quality tools where we spend top dollar on tools & service. I must admit; I have started quite a collection of harbor frieght tools in the last year or so; always had Craftsman too; but there is nothining like a professional tool; to do a professional job;

I have said this before, as much as I like Snap-On I would be hesitant to recommend them anymore because it may very well mean investing a lot of money in an orphan tool. You ask a darn good question there, where is this going to leave us? Well I think the tool trucks will soon be a thing of the past but tools like S&K are available from some stores, believe it or not Harbor freight even has some genuine S&K but they are priced accordingly! There will always be a market for professional quality tools so I think some of them will survive, maybe even Snap-On but if so they will most certainly need a different marketing strategy (wonder if we will soon see "made in China" on Snap-On tools.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 PM

i bought snap-on for years the salesman was very cool dude and did not pressure u to buy but would give some good deals and loved to bull shi$. heck his wife
would stop by and bring us biscuts. i left where i worked for a better job which was out of his route
i owed him 400. dolllar was going to transfer the acc to the new salesman but only got him to stop by once in the last 4 years no joke
my old salesman left snap-on and told not worry about it u tell me
i got broke tools now and here i am chasing down snap-on to get them fixed
Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

you know, iv never purchased from a snap on or matco guy(own nothing but craftsman and a few gearwrench, kobalt, ect), but i would have to think that any shop with several mechanics(like say if you were working at a dealership) would have to always have people buying tools which keeps the tool guys around. you guys are saying they all take off once you stop buying from them, but i cant imagine that every employee at the shop stops buying and the snap on guy suddenly disappears? is that really how it goes down?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

There has been some Snap On bashing here. No doubt. Most of it has been in the SERVICE sector. And I can relate with that. We are at the mercy of a panel van making his/her rounds. Other than that, you call customer service and pay shipping.

Really, it's the same at Sears/Craftsman anymore. They do not have the higher line Craftsman or the variety listed in the catalog ON HAND. That would be a lot of inventory. And for a Snap On dealer, A VERY big heavy truck.

I don't like it when Snap On tries to be sneaky and bring in Blue Point (and some Snap On) made in china-wherever and pass them as professional tools.

It's been a big soap box for me lately.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Revolution Calling

Last photo:

no lie

The Snap On ice cream truck. LOL.

I have a real world experience that begun Oct. 16th. Our local Snap On dealer stopped by, as he does every Friday believe it or not, an I wanted a set of attachments for a power driver I have, (Snap On also). Didn't have it on the truck. Whilst not a #2 phillips screwdriver, it was something that he admitted "why didn't I re-order that"? I was thinking the same THING! Wow talk about parity! Ok no problem. "Well I won't be here next week- vacation".

Hmmm. Sure enough the 23rd came and went. No ice cream truck.

All of this and maybe this coming Friday I still get to pay Seventy-Four Dollars and Forty-Five Cents for only this:
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Revolution Calling

Last photo:

Since this is now the service oriented thread, here goes.

OK, so the 23rd came and went. A 'measly' 75 bucks is all I want to spend. No, I do not spend a huge amount of money with him. I have most of my tools that I 'need' already.

The 30th came and went also. No Snap On dealer. He was aware of this tool I need/want. Todd Baker, more specifically.

CORRECTION... I was informed by a friend in the shop that Todd did in fact stop by on the 30th. I did not catch him. My mistake. I'll have to wait until this coming Friday the 6th.

In all honesty Todd does a helluva good job. No real complaints. Just wish Snap On had brick and mortar stores around. Probably would never happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapon.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	41722  

Last edited by C-10; 11-03-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

c10 ,you can get that at Lowes for 25.oo Dewalt has them 1/4" & 3/8" drive
Old 11-03-2009, 04:59 AM

I'll bet a guy could make a good living getting a bread truck and filling it with S-k and good used tools at bargan.... mabee even a little low interest credit (not through a bank) and stopping by every week...Were a pretty loyal bunch when we feel were being treated right...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I'll bet a guy could make a good living getting a bread truck and filling it with S-k and good used tools at bargan.... mabee even a little low interest credit (not through a bank) and stopping by every week...Were a pretty loyal bunch when we feel were being treated right...
I actually had a guy do just that. For years he stopped by my shop, I bought a number of things from him.

For that matter, many SnapOn type trucks will sell other tools! I have bought a number of Martin tools from my Matco guy and my big S&K impact sockets came off my SnapOn truck!

Brian
Old 11-03-2009, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

I am sure that would work BUT where do you get the tools to sell? You wouldn't last long if you were constantly telling people "I don't have one of those right now" (That's what a lot of Snap-On salesmen are doing). If you could get a S-K franchise or just buy them wholesale at a good price then it might work but it would take a HUGE $$ investment to cover most everything the people you sell to would need even if you are carrying mostly used stuff, if you don't have it on the truck and want to just order everything then, again, that's what wrong with Snap-On.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 AM

I agree Red,it would be a huge investment.But where theres a will theres a way. Flea markets around here are loaded with good used tools all the big names and buying them in quantity always helps.Pawn shops always have a load of stuff they would love to sell.I'm no salesman but its something I always thought would work for the right person..but not me ,thats for sure..

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.