are SNAP-ON tools made in china?!?!?!?!?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 PM
540ci ford want sum?

Wiki Edits: 0

are SNAP-ON tools made in china?!?!?!?!?!

ok i am fairly sure that pretty much everyone here has heard of snap on tools right and i will say i have a butt load of money tied up in snap on,mac,matco,cornwell but i have recently developed a very big problem with snap on .. i have a pair of snap on wire strippers Stock#: PWC16A which i got raped on off the tool truck but o'well i needed them they list on snapon's website for like 16 or 17 dollars i paid 35 off the truck but like i said i needed them and im not the shop around type of guy if i need them and they bring them buy ill pay a "fuel and time" cost to the dealer and well the whole reason i am starting this post is a guy i work with went pawn shopping (new mechanic w/o alot of funds) and bought a pair of strippers just exactly down to the size and gram weight! and lettering EXCEPT they said made in japan as wear on my pair they say snap on!!!! so i called my dealer and he said he had heard of there being close fakes but they aren't the same but if it weighs the same looks exactly the same barring the fact that the name is different could it be that snap on just stamps their name on a Chinese steel tool???? and more then doubles the price?? now don't get me wrong i probably wont stop buying snap on tools (just recently updated my box)don't bother about the price either it was more then i paid for the ford ranger i drive back and fourth every day to work
i think those of us who buy snap on /matco/mac/cornwell/sk/proto etc, need to take a real close look,
before we buy them....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockking21
i am starting this post is a guy i work with went pawn shopping (new mechanic w/o alot of funds) and bought a pair of strippers just exactly down to the size and gram weight! and lettering EXCEPT they said made in japan as wear on my pair they say snap on!!!! so i called my dealer and he said he had heard of there being close fakes but they aren't the same but if it weighs the same looks exactly the same barring the fact that the name is different could it be that snap on just stamps their name on a Chinese steel tool???? ..
First you say..."Made in Japan"........Then it's "Chinese steel".........

Which is it? They are 2 different countries................

I have heard that Snap-On is making tools overseas now.

Budget RVs
Old 01-24-2008, 10:09 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

I have heard the same as well. But I think there boxes are still made in the USA. I guess mac has a lot of tools made in china as well. My matco guy says all there stuff is made in USA.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, It probabally is a duck.

Shane
Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:

Quote:
could it be that snap on just stamps their name on a Chinese steel tool???? and more then doubles the price??
Yes, if the tools are indeed made overseas, then this is at least partially true. The name Snap-On, by itself, sells tools because of the reputation behind that name. What you need to remember that even if Snap-On is making their products in China (or Japan, or wherever), they are still staking their reputation on those products. Their desire to maintain that reputation would be enough to reassure me that the product is still good, even if it is made on a different piece of dirt outside the USA.

Whenever I see or hear complaints about "Made in China" and how crappy a product must be to have that designation, I consider that in China, everything is made in China! Things like the World Finance Center which is under construction and slated to be, I think, the second tallest skyscraper in the world. If they can make massively tall, delicate buildings that don't topple over from faulty "made in China" craftsmanship, why can't they make good tools?

Disclaimer: I'm playing devil's advocate here, I acknowledge that a lot of stuff imported from China is junk.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

Not another Chinese thread...?

It's like their meals - half an hour later, you fancy another one...
Old 01-25-2008, 04:59 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I don't know where their sockets are made, but they are now nowhere near the quality that they once were.

I have lost a few just like everyone does. I was missing a 1/4" drive 13mm short socket from a 20? yr old set. These sockets were show-chrome with black steel accent stripe. I caught a Snap-on truck at the Post Office and he grabbed one for me. It did not match at all and looked no different than the off-brand one that I was using temporarily. I think it was $15 w/tax.

I also bought some mint Snap-on sockets sets on ebay from a home handyman who barely used his tools and was relocating. I HAD hoped they were OLD Snap-ons... Wrong, these even had grind marks on the bases of a few sockets that were not polished out before plating. Nit-Picking?..Not when you figure in the price of these if you bought them new.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Sounds like the time I went to redwing to buy boots they proudly display made in china inside the boots, the same boots that proudly display Harley Davidson on the outside.
Has everything been sold out?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
I have heard the same as well. But I think there boxes are still made in the USA. I guess mac has a lot of tools made in china as well. My matco guy says all there stuff is made in USA.
Big problem is most any retailer (be it the Costco/Target/ Matco guy) will tell you what you as a consumer wants to hear. Ultimately it is your job to do the research on what you are going to buy before you buy it. I think we've all been snookered into a purchase we've regretted later. I know I have.

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,141 Times in 1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
I don't know where their sockets are made, but they are now nowhere near the quality that they once were.

I have lost a few just like everyone does. I was missing a 1/4" drive 13mm short socket from a 20? yr old set. These sockets were show-chrome with black steel accent stripe. I caught a Snap-on truck at the Post Office and he grabbed one for me. It did not match at all and looked no different than the off-brand one that I was using temporarily. I think it was $15 w/tax.

I also bought some mint Snap-on sockets sets on ebay from a home handyman who barely used his tools and was relocating. I HAD hoped they were OLD Snap-ons... Wrong, these even had grind marks on the bases of a few sockets that were not polished out before plating. Nit-Picking?..Not when you figure in the price of these if you bought them new.
Oh my God if that isn't the truth, I picked up a wrench and it was full of scratches (prechrome) it looked like crap.

They are blowing it big time, they blew it when they started selling "Blue Point" cheaper tools and they are going further and further down hill. The stuff in that truck should be ART, it should be high priced art. Now, it is getting more and more like all the rest. Hell, the "rest" are getting more and more like SnapOn too! Have you looked at the quality of a "GearWrench"? Or a the high end Craftsmen tools? They are looking pretty nice.

What a shame.

Brian
Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
Big problem is most any retailer (be it the Costco/Target/ Matco guy) will tell you what you as a consumer wants to hear. Ultimately it is your job to do the research on what you are going to buy before you buy it. I think we've all been snookered into a purchase we've regretted later. I know I have.

In a while, Chet.
you wouldn't be talking about the 13 piece screwdriver set for 5.99, would you??? (no offence)
Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Lrpasco

Last photo:

I remember right after the 9-11 thing, looking at a major retail store a hat that said "proud to be made in the usa" and looking on the inside tag and saying made in china.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcuden
Whenever I see or hear complaints about "Made in China" and how crappy a product must be to have that designation, I consider that in China, everything is made in China! Things like the World Finance Center which is under construction and slated to be, I think, the second tallest skyscraper in the world. If they can make massively tall, delicate buildings that don't topple over from faulty "made in China" craftsmanship, why can't they make good tools?

Disclaimer: I'm playing devil's advocate here, I acknowledge that a lot of stuff imported from China is junk.

Tis true, but have you seen the pics of welding protection in china, scaffolding etc....We're talking about people that for the most part, until not many years ago, lived in thatch huts & farmed. (not that it was a bad lifestyle...) Look at the Three Gorges Dam & some of the issues there.
wait until the WFC is over 70 years old & get back to me on that one.

Disclaimer accepted
Old 01-25-2008, 01:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
you wouldn't be talking about the 13 piece screwdriver set for 5.99, would you??? (no offence)
Oh, that (but I had coupons so they were even cheaper-- but equally crappy), a certain '97 Silverado parked in my driveway, the first drill I owned, I could add more, but I won't...

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
Oh, that (but I had coupons so they were even cheaper-- but equally crappy), a certain '97 Silverado parked in my driveway, the first drill I owned, I could add more, but I won't...

In a while, Chet.
I bought like 20 screwdrivers for $2.50 one day at wally world Decent for the price.

Shane

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.