snaps - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

snaps

Hello ,
I'm doing some oddball thing to my car to hide a sub from the general public and brainstormed and remembered my 71 el camino had a bed cover made of vinyl that snapped to the 1/4's and tail gate. and they were held on with rivets .
The panel in the car behind center console and storage box/glove box at rear of console is almost 1/4" thick and my wife's collection of snaps used normally on clothing , the pin that connects the male half of the snap, two half's together are not long enough..
would Joann's fabric or Michaels have/carry the snaps that have a hole in the center for a rivet? or a marine "boating "supply" . And what exactly are they called other than snaps. so I can search and get the correct things..
they are going to hold a piece of fabric with an embroidered bird logo that is the fiero badge. to cover the glovebox area. so no real weight will be on it.. but snaps would look better than Velcro when the piece is removed at shows or to clean/wash the fabric.
thanks, I asked my wife if she had any and got blank stare of WTF are you talking about..
figure there is a name for that "type" snap. over the clothing type that the male side attaches differently..
Thanks for help with the "name" as I'd rather not get the same blank stare when at the store... as I got from the wife and my mother that worked dry cleaning for 45 years..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

snaps

I would check with a local upholstery shop that does boats. When I did the rag top on my old fiberglas dunebuggy I had to carefully drill out the center of the snaps then use long pop rivets with a back up washer, if your pop rivet gun nose is not long and small enough you might have to use a small diameter spacer tool tube over the pop rivet nail.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

There are two types of studs that you can use. One you pop rivet on, or screw on with small screws. The other has a screw built in to it, called a screw stud. They are available from upholstery supply shops. Most upholstery shops would have them also. You would also need sockets and button caps and the tool to attach the button caps and sockets together. My advice would be to take it to an upholstery shop and have them do it for you. Here's a supplier online: Stud - Low Base, Apparel Snaps, Fasteners, Sew-On Snaps, Snap Fastener Buttons from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	85570  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

I bought the tool and a bunch of fasteners from perfect fit. The price was reasonable, and they always seem to ship fast.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I am here only to question the use of the snaps. Seems they often fail in one way or another and are way over used. When studying convertible tops at car shows when I did mine I was amazed at how many people held all kinds of stuff on with snaps and it just seemed so over used. I don't have any suggestions other than, is a snap the BEST way to do it?

Brian
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

What about using velco strips as an alternative ???
Though I use snaps to hold my small door panels on my '46 Ford P/u.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

My suggestion would be to glue the design to a piece of magnetic material like they make refrigerator magnets and magnetic signs out of. It is going on the glove box door, which is probably metal.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am here only to question the use of the snaps. Seems they often fail in one way or another and are way over used. When studying convertible tops at car shows when I did mine I was amazed at how many people held all kinds of stuff on with snaps and it just seemed so over used. I don't have any suggestions other than, is a snap the BEST way to do it?

Brian
Brian, On This car (fiero)

interior II by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

see the center console glovebox door , that is being removed,well the whole console is, as I picked up a 2nd one to mod and save this one if I move the sub from this spot and mostlikely will but for now.
this goes in where the glovebox is

7-29 002 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

and I want to hide it from pry'n eyes, so I'm having a piece of material embroidered with the fiero bird on it and it'll cover this. I was going to put the snaps above the glovebox door that 13/16th spot before it folds toward the back wall. just to hold it in place and when at a show I can if I want remove it and put the snap buttons on and it not look silly they'll have indy 500 on them..
Velcro would work but the tape/glue to hold it in place in the summer heat may let go and the material fall off and land at the bottom of the arm rest or the seat, and then the sub would be seen, and well.. there are to easy to get into I'd like to keep my radio..
when I have enough free time I'll build this

New_sub_box_rs 5 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
and that goes under the pass side dash and is unseen only see the face and that will match the dash and only a Fiero owner would know what it is.
these cars use 3.5" speakers in the seats and 4x10 in the dash, leaving much to be desired in the sound dept. not into the boom boom boom but I'd like to at least hear the bassist, lol
the snaps are just to hold a cover to hide the sub , as there are some that might see that even tho it's worth nothing 40 bucks tops and think there is money in the cars sound system. I'd rather not place that ad!!!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.