Snow Thrower question... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 12:16 AM
The Dude

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question Snow Thrower question...

Hey guys, I don't know a thing about snow throwers. I want to get one for my dad this year so he doesn't have to be out shoveling that stuff. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would be a good buy?

Click here to see the Craftsman Snow Thrower I am thinking of getting.

I like this one because it has an electric start.

Can someone also explain the "auger propelled" thing? Does the auger just help drag it forward? Also, do snow throwers completely get rid of the snow or is there still a thin sheet left over after you make a pass with it that will need to be shoveled?
I would appreciate any info or comments anyone has.

Thanks guys!

Rock on and God bless...

Seņor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 04:08 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

hey dude,the only real problem is it is a single stage thrower , on a two stage the augers chop the snow and feed it to the impeller.wich spins very fast, this throws it.this paticular one just spins and throws it . it will NOT work on hard packed or wet heavy snow.
here in nova scotia canada, by the time your five ,you know how to fix them already lol.
i didnt look where you are from, but if your anywhere in the snow belt, you would probably be better off taking the same money and buying a 10 h.p. two stage thrower thats a couple of years old. a lot of older people will sell these when the warranty is up, they run new at like 650. and up at walmart, brand names dont matter that much cause theres only about 5 or 6 factories in north america. craftsman are made by M.T.D. and mtd are cheaper to buy than the same brand name. hope this helps, mike w. way up in canada.eh.

oh yeah, there is adjustable skid plates on the bottom of the chute . you can skin pavement almost right to 1/4 inch, or raise it for gravel driveways
Old 08-12-2003, 04:17 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Senor,
First off...you need to be shot for even thinking that word let alone typing it in the middle of August. We haven't even had a summer yet or so it seems. Of course the new state bird is now going to be the mosquito. LOL!!! About the snowblower. Not big enough. If you are going to get one do like Mike says and look at WallyWorld, Lowes, HomeDepot, etc. Sears is more than likely an MTD but you will be paying more for a Sears brand because of the name. Look at nothing less than an 8 horse that is self propelled. An auger propelled, you will be pushing it into the snow. It will be almost like a front drive 5 horse tiller. You will have to fight it. For light snow it will be fine but if we have anything like we had last year it won't be big enough. Look in the Trading Post paper for a bigger used one if money is an issue. Also the electric start is nice (according to my dad) Most are just a box that hangs on the side that turns it over. They plug into the wall, then you unplug them when they start. One thing....when the blowers hit the stores be prepared to buy one right now and do not wait. I've waited for the last 2 years and was not able to get one. When I was ready to get one the snow already had hit and I spent two days and I don't know how many miles going to every store within reason and could not get one. A few stores said they had a hard time getting them, so this year I am going to get a jump on one too. Good Luck,

Kevin
Old 08-12-2003, 05:12 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

Thanks for the info guys. Kev, sorry for bringing up the big bad "s" word. hehehe However getting the jump on it was my plan as well, especially if I am gonna pay about $600 for one. I better get a jump on it now. I did see another Craftsman that was more like what you guys are talking about. I am not all hung up on the craftsman ones, I just couldn't find any other ones that I could get locally (where he lives). I didn't see any at lowes. I olny checked their website and they didn't have any listed there.
If it's not too much trouble, can you guys give this one a peek?

How about this one?

Do you think I could find this one cheaper somewhere other than SEARS?

Thanks again, guys!

Seņor

Hmmm found a cheaper one at Walmart...

Cheaper
Old 08-12-2003, 05:45 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

By the time you spend the money on the machine, upkeep, and maintenance, you could move him to a sunny climate and have a vacation spot to cruise to in the winter!

Think about it!
Old 08-12-2003, 05:49 AM

Last photo:

binford 5110 thats what Tim the tool man always sugests
but then youve gota hot them up a little
maybe twin carbs and a megaphone
Yeah thats it realy let the neighbors know that snow aint staying on your step (Hope this helps) ian
Old 08-12-2003, 06:08 AM

Last journal entry: almost ready to go in
Last photo:

Old 08-12-2003, 07:38 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey Senor...check this place out plus free shipping http://www.unclejoes.com/snow_throwers_gas.htm

Also don't you have a TSC or a Home Depot close? You ought to be able to ordr one thru Home Depot. I'm not sure where you are at exactally but I do know there is a HD on West Broad right behind Jegs.

The only thing with Lowes and HD is something like that is a seasonal item so I don't know exactally when they would get them in. Just a thought.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:52 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Senor, I spent 6 winters in Northern Utah and have many hours on a snowblower. Of course, about anything would work in their beautiful powder snow, but it was pretty heavy early and late in the season. You definitely want a two stage unit, which increases the cost. The size you select is going to depend on how much surface he wants to clear and of course, how big are the normal snowfalls. I had a BIG 8hp electric start Toro that worked for 3 years for the previous owner of the home and 6 years for me without a glitch except for one battery. I blew over 5 ft of snow over a three day period and tried not to let it get above 8" before blowing it away. I was having to shoot it 20 feet in the air at one point (had a 10 foot bank beside one driveway) Oh, heads up for buried newspapers. Digging them out can be a cold, nasty job!!!!

Trees

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.