Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snug Lifter Bores

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  454C10 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a fresh 468 for my K5. When I got it home I pulled it apart to find out what components were in it. The person I bought it from could not find the paper work.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to install a new cam and lifters. I noticed that when I was removing the installed lifters, one was a little stubborn to get out and another one I had to grab with channel locks to pull it out.

I have tried different lifters in the lifter bores in question with the same results. The area where the squeeze is being applied is at the bottom of the bores.

I'm concerned b/c I don't think the lifters will be able to rotate, especially in the hole where channel locks were required to remove the lifter.

Is this a valid concern? If so, how should I remedy this? A small hone tool?

#3 ·
I ran into this issue many times on SBC`s with not a lot of miles on them and never once had a problem. Then again, I`ve stripped down high mileage engines and the lifters popped right out without effort.
I don`t know why but it seems when they don`t have much wear they are pretty tight in the bores once they get worked in.

#6 ·
I had the same problem with my 454.

a long story... ate few flat tappet cams, went to roller, didn't like the retro roller ticking, and was determined to run a flat tappet (like everyone else). I just what to be normal! So afters year of therapy (just kidding). I finally realized the lifter bores were too tight. They had about 0.0005 clearance! Should have 0.001 to 0.002.

So I had 3 options. 1) machine and put in new lifter bushings, 2) machine to a bigger size and use ford or mopar lifters and a custom cam, 3) or machine the lifters down 0.0005".

I did option 3. Ran a lathe on high speed and used some 220 grit sand paper for a minute or two on each lifter. I tapped up the side oil hole and had to sand each side of the lifter separately (top and bottom). You need to use a good quality micrometer.

results were. I ran the engine on my test stand and broke-in a flat tappet cam without any issues. This was a first for this engine. so I'm hopeful. I haven't installed this engine yet since i'm short on time and the 396 (back up engine) is running ok, so I don't have any long term results yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.