So called "show quality paint"???? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 03:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed
Im with Mrcleanr6 on this one, as I too can not get into replicating that factory garbage. If you are going to spend the time and money redoing a car then do it to the best of your ability, give it 110 percent. As for the corvette hardcores all I can say is drop it off at Earl Shieb and they should do an excellent job of duplicating that "factory look".
I agree. I like to make them better than new. I'm working on a 69 Boss 302 and the owner is insisting on keeping all his defects and over spray in all the right places. I think guys here are hot rodders, me included, and we don't want to look at all those factory screw ups.
Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

I would agree, if I was painting for a living I would do do the street rods as I just have a hard time tearing an old Ford apart and making everything perfect and then spraying the underside with red oxide like it came from factory when it should be base/cleared with about six coats of clear.

Could also do custom cycles but my art skills are in the same toilet as my writing skills, so that won't work.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Don't you just know the people who worked the line building muscle cars are laughing their butts off at the poor guys "trying" to replicate factory.
I really feel sorry for the resto guys, That HAS to be some b**** work.
"So, Mr. Johnson, Just how did you apply the paint dab on the driveshaft back in 70'???
I just can not do it. Drives me crazy if it's not the best I can make it.
Put the seam sealer on with a brush and the lines were KILLING me.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

in my opinion there are 2 schools .. one is the over restoration of cars. And the other is trying to be as original looking as possible .

I own a 1964 Studebaker Hawk that has 20k original miles on her and she is just the way she came out of the factory. All original never been restored just little things like painting the rims when the tires are changed or cleaning up the battery tray. I dont show it any more. I would get points taken off the car because there was areas in the engine compartment that were just misted with paint and the primer shows and there is a run in the rear 1/4 panel under the gas tank door .

Had a guy offer me more than the car was worth a few years back at The Rhinebeck car show his intent was to do a ground up on her .Said he wanted a car that he knew what he was getting into before he started the resto..I told him "U can bet u wont be getting into this car". I just laughed and walked away ...

I get a kick out guys claiming there car is all "original" but in reality they mean not modified and the car has been completely redone.

Last edited by Springer; 12-20-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:43 PM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

I'm a firm believer "build what makes you happy". I personally like the look of a tail dragger RAT rod,mono chrome flat black, and either baby moon caps or brushed disk wheel covers. But I also appreciate the full on customs as well as the 100% restores. There is a53 vette up here in jackson MS that is about99% 53 origonal. When you look at this thing you can see the weave of the fiberglass. Stone ugly!! But if you fixed that factory flaw you would make this car wothless. Potatoe- potato! Brian
Old 12-20-2006, 06:30 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Everyone looks at something differently. I like the early Mustangs that are original in appearance, and feel that they are worth alot more that way. That is that they have not been modified with different engines, suspension, body kits and such. I also like older streetrods and customs. On the other hand, there are alot of guys that think an older Mustang needs to be changed everywhere to be worth anything.

I couldn't do true original restorations, as they are too particular about stuff that means nothing to me. I do like to do work to make the original fit better than factory, while still appearing original.

Aaron
Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM

Last journal entry: Kinda showing off
Last photo:

Had a friend that believed that you could restore a car if you built it as if everyone on that shift did the best job possible. But in real life it was (is) a job with deadlines so you get what you get.
IMO if the car was as good as it was the day it left the factory it is restored, flaws and all.

Randall
Old 12-20-2006, 08:22 PM
X711

Last photo:

I think there are two schools of thinking to this and they are, Make it like the
day it drove off the line or re-do the car to enhance it and make it look sharp !

Personally I think some cars should never be restored as the body lines on them never even looked good, stock out of the factory. "Send the dogs to the crusher" IMHO.

If you have a old classic car that you like, give it a good paint job and drive the hell out of it !, As long as you like it thats whats important.

I had the opportunity to check out some restro cars recently at the Braselton bash at Year One. There were some neat camaro's, Mopars etc all looked
pretty good. I was not very impressed with the paint jobs though. There were
lots of BC/CC jobs that just looked out of place on these old cars. Kind
of like the clear was shouting off the car.. Hey look at me I am a mirror clear coat but btw dont bother looking at the body lines.. Kind of funny really.

If you happen to live locally to Atlanta, the Year One Braselton Bash shows are really worth the trip when they are on.

x711
Old 12-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Preach the value of a quality fit and finish, Brethren !

The losers out there making a killing on image and advertising, slapping together fiberglass speaker enclosures and throwing in a flat screen or two then bolting on new wheels, that stuff kills me! I sincerely put 110% into the cars I finish. I spend hours blocking panels over and over until every square inch of them is just how I want it to be. I did high-line production collision work for many years, and was convinced to go to work in restoration several years ago. In my opinion it is all paint! If it's a "factory-style"restoration you prep it as such, but you still finish the rockers and door jambs just as nice as the rest of the car. I've painted cars ranging from: numbers matching Concorse style restorations, where I gobbed seam-sealer in places and over-sprayed bottom sides with body color, to fiberglass pro-mod cars with elaborate airbrush-work, to all custom, smoothed-out, shaved, altered, precisely-fit show quality resto-mods. All of these had different areas I had to adjust to. It's all a matter of knowing what the finished product is suposed to be. What does the guy paying for it want?

Much of the out-come of the bad finishes you see, is to blame on customers who go over budget on engines, interior, wheels, and extra "bling". Then they get to the paint and say things like, "na.. lets not worry about the floor." Or there is the dreaded "Don't spend to much time on it." And there is also the classic shop management issue, the killer, "We gotta get this one done, it's been here to long. Knock it out!"

The key-culprit is the knowledge of the customers. If they would educate themselves they would see the flaws and lack of quality, as we do. Then they could demand better work. This would help to over-come the hype of some places, and allow the creme to rise to the top!

So I say "SPREAD THE WORD!" and if it's wrong "POINT IT OUT!"
Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
in restoration you can not make the car better than factory. a laser straight early vette is destroyed as far as original goes. you must return it to it's original condition. the waves and imperfections must remain. i have had to regelcoat a vette because it had been redone by some custom shop that knew nothing about restorations.
Shine makes a good point on true restoration work.

I have owned and painted several CJ-5 over the years, the last one I owned 15 years and just sold this last summer.

I never once put diamond plating on or filled in the factory spot welds in the body panels.

I used to laugh when people would ask - "why didn't you take the dents out"

Duhh...factory spot welds...

Old 12-21-2006, 07:39 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The other night on Overhaulin they did a 70 Mustang restomod. It was the blue "Boss 302". The car was very nice, great color and they replaced the whole front end instead of repairing the damage from a previous accident. At the end of the show, the camera pans across the bottom of the rocker panel, before and after. The after shot shows the wavey lower lip of the rocker panel with all bumps from the spot welds. If it was supposed to be an original restor, I could see leaving them as is, but being it was a total custom project, the lower edge of the rocker panel really contrasted against the otherwise straight bodywork they did.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,106 Posts
Depending on the style of build, even on "rods" I like leaving the spot welds. To me, it just makes it look "unmolested".

Brian
Old 12-21-2006, 11:18 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

All I know is when Bondoking and I went to the National Street Rod show
I was amazed at how many nice looking cars had such blatent paint flaws.
You didn't have to be a painter to notice them.
We decided we're doing better work than what we used to give
ourselves credit for.
A lot of the flaws I saw on "show cars" wouldn't leave my
shop that are just "collision repairs".
I guess it's true with everything, the more you know about it the
less professional many of the so called "professionals" start to look.
I never noticed the bad drywall in new homes untill I learned how
to drywall.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
I never noticed the bad drywall in new homes untill I learned how
to drywall.
Sometimes I think that the ability to see flaws - whether in a paint job or in drywall - is a curse rather than a blessing. I find myself seeing imperfections in everything. Really improves the work I do, whether on the house or car, but it also dramatically increases the time it takes me to get things done because I worry about things nobody (generally) is going to notice except me.

Blissful ignorance has its benefits.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:47 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

yeah I learned about flat and wavy gravy sheet metal, now I an spot it a mile away! Been to so many car shows I'm pretty jaded and hard to impress .It has also helped me Identify that wavy gravy DRY WALL!Most new home builders suck. Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.