Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - So called "show quality paint"????
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
This is something that I have brought up before and gotten lamb based over. I am sorry, I have seen the exact same thing. Heck, get down on the ground and look up at the rockers of some of these "show cars" build by "restoration shops", you will see plastic filler or primer with no paint on it! If it isn't seen standing there next to the car, it isn't detailed.

Now, in their defense THAT is how most of these cars are looked at. They are not analyzed like you or I would do, they just aren't. They are really "good enough" if you want to be honest. But don't tell me you do such great work and so much different than a "common" collision shop would, you don't.

REAL detail takes a lot of time. I have seen it, darn tootin, there are shops out there that do it. But they are very few and far between.

I can see what you are saying fiddy two, sure I can accept that a "restored" car is not going to have the "custom" detail as a rod or custom would. But it should have the "detail" none the less. You should be able to see every single spot weld clearly for example. THAT is one thing that makes a "restored car" to me.

Brian