Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - So called "show quality paint"????
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 12:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcleanr6
thats right. there is a corvette resto shop around here and thats all they do is those ncrs cars. i know the painter and he said its such a pia. you will spend all this time and effeort on the car then goto a show and the judges tell you the chrome and paint are too shiney. me personally i just can get into replicating factory crap but thats just because i am not interested in that stuff. being a custom painter i am just used to making everything as flawless as possible. each way you go is an artform in itself. however shoddy work on something thats should be "show quality" is just poor craftsmanship
-------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite saying is a Restoration painter would not last at a Chevy dealer for two weeks and a Chevy painter would never last as a Restoration painter.
It is just two completely different worlds.

A few years ago I had a corvette fuelie that had never been wrecked or repainted, so I redid the whole car, showed it twice to get a few awards for value purposes.
Listed it in Hemmings for top buck. A guy from Ohio flew down who owned three big collision centers, now remember I said the car was a 100 pointer and perfect in my ad!
First thing he does is look down the side and says son, you really need to buy yourself a long block. I didn't even have time to catch my breath and he says you have over spray in the engine compartment.
That is when I caught my breath and said do you know anything about vettes? Yes I have two new ones!

I explained to him that no block touched this car, anywhere all hand Palm sanding and showed him the other overspray under the car.
So after explaining he said you could never work in my bodyshop as he did not believe a word I said and left.

He checked out my story and called the next day and wired the money.