Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - So called "show quality paint"????
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ah yes, the Iwata...we all talked about that earlier this year. I finally got one a few months back. The "Lexus" of spray guns. Beyond helpful in the grand scheme of things. I know how to totally remove it (thanepeel...I like that ), problem is you need to paint the car 2 times for lack of a better short description. Some are just not worth doing in the long haul. From what I gather, HOK has not changed their formula for lacquer over the years. As we old-timers know, the secret to long life on lac is film build...or lack of it. Too brittle for heavy top coatings. FWIW, for strictly show only, nitrocellulose is still available from specialty manufacturers outta 'Jersey. Talk about flat perfection, huh? But then again rapid temp change will destroy it before your eyes. I know of an old show truck that came out of Cobo Hall 40some years ago. That's a winter show and the truck's finish cracked within minutes over just about every square inch. It still looks that way today. Sad. I'm sure there's downfalls I'll experience doing my personal ride in lac, but I really don't care. There's ways around it. Not like it'll be a 365 daily.