Hot Rod Forum banner

So called "show quality paint"????

15K views 105 replies 31 participants last post by  p8nter 
#1 ·
I recently went to two big national shows this past summer, Chryslers at Carlisle and Macungie Pa. speciffically to see for myself what kind of workmanship these high end resto shops are turning out. Mostly what I was looking for was the body & paint work. Now I figured to myself if there are any cars that should have the "best" paint work available, it would have to be the most valuble ones on the planet.......matching numbers hemi cudas, challengers, and the such. Now just remember that these muscle cars are pulling high six figures and a few in the 7 digits, in my opinion these should be the best of the best. Well let me tell you I was not all that impressed with what I saw. Seems most of these cars were blocked out decent from the body line up but very poor from the body line down. Prior to the show I visited a few resto web sites and I must say there work looked fantastic in there pics (wont mention any names) but not so in person. Then I came to a shop that had 7 cars on display with the quality level I was expecting to see on many more cars, these things were the straightest that I have seen in years, from the roofline to the rocker panels dead flat ultra straight from every possible angle. The name of the shop was Aloha dream cars out of wisconson. I had a chance to talk with the shop owner for a bit and spoke of the disappointment for the lack of quality in most of these high end shops that are getting in the six digits to restore these cars. Now dont get me wrong the detail work on suspensions, engine compartments, interiors and the such were pretty compatable from shop to shop, I was mainly focusing on the finish exterior paintwork. Seven cars out of whatever they had Im guessing a thousand, not a very good percentage. Does one particular shop spend more hours blocking than most, any one out there who has seen there work will know exactly what I am talking about. I do understand that not every one can afford a six figure resto, but the average for a job like that is pretty close in comparison thru out the industry. Why the difference so much in quality? I guess all I am trying to say is that why dont more guys go the extra mile in blocking and buffing for that ultra show quality paint job. After all once it is painted you would rather not go back and say I wish I spent a little (or lot) more time on that area. Well I have never been out west to see in person the workmanship out there, but would love to see how it compares to what I have seen so far...........

See less See more
#102 ·
i used lacquer for many years. did customs , restorations and just about everything with it. it is not an inferior product. it is just one of the most abused products. because of it's ease of use everyone with a craftsman spray gun thought they could paint. most every failure i ever seen was due to it's misuse. like the old "40 coats hand rubbed" crap. if done right it will look great and last for many years. excessive film build is the #1 reason for failure.

#105 ·
shine said:
most every failure i ever seen was due to it's misuse. like the old "40 coats hand rubbed" crap. if done right it will look great and last for many years. excessive film build is the #1 reason for failure.
Over reduction also causes premature failure with lacquer. Lacquer went downhill qualitywise during the 80's IMO, unless the paint was babied like a show car and kept out of the sun it usually wouldn't hold up very well. Nitrocellulose produced the nicest shine but it requires even more maintanence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.