so depressed my truck wont start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM
mini me

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

so depressed my truck wont start

i'm not sure if this is in the right category but i think it's electrical, but then again it could be a number of things.

ok guys heres the sitch straight up. 3-4 days ago i was driving down the road in my 99 yukon and was highly pissed off on my home i almost made it, but my temper got the best of me. i went to kick the dash and hit the gear shifter instead and broke it, but that was after i tore off the blinker switch and threw it out the window. i know i know i've been kicking myself in the butt since i got home. its not something i'm proud of but it's going to the doctor, you have to tell him everything so you get the right prognosis.

so anyway, monday i got a new steering column but the shaft was pushed in so i took everything off of it and put it on mine. hooked it all up and now....yep you guessed it the truck won't start. it'll fire up for a sec. then die imediatly then it just spins and dosn't even wanna do that if you try it again imediatly, but if you let it set for a minute or two it'll do it again. now when the key is in the "on" position my security light flashes. think it might have something to do with that? and honestly i don't remember if it did that before or not, so as far as i know it coulda always done that and i just noticed it. heres another little sweetheart to factor in, when i kicked it it kinda went into reverse for a second or two till i got my hanging gear shifter to get it back into drive. after jerry riggin my gear shifter back into it the truck died. after a few minutes of playing with my broke shifter i got back into park it heisated to start for a second but it fired back up and drove the rest of the way home just fine.

please help me. i swear i won't beat on it anymore i definetly learned my lesson. if anything i'll walk next time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse01
i'm not sure if this is in the right category but i think it's electrical, but then again it could be a number of things.

ok guys heres the sitch straight up. 3-4 days ago i was driving down the road in my 99 yukon and was highly pissed off on my home i almost made it, but my temper got the best of me. i went to kick the dash and hit the gear shifter instead and broke it, but that was after i tore off the blinker switch and threw it out the window. i know i know i've been kicking myself in the butt since i got home. its not something i'm proud of but it's going to the doctor, you have to tell him everything so you get the right prognosis.

so anyway, monday i got a new steering column but the shaft was pushed in so i took everything off of it and put it on mine. hooked it all up and now....yep you guessed it the truck won't start. it'll fire up for a sec. then die imediatly then it just spins and dosn't even wanna do that if you try it again imediatly, but if you let it set for a minute or two it'll do it again. now when the key is in the "on" position my security light flashes. think it might have something to do with that? and honestly i don't remember if it did that before or not, so as far as i know it coulda always done that and i just noticed it. heres another little sweetheart to factor in, when i kicked it it kinda went into reverse for a second or two till i got my hanging gear shifter to get it back into drive. after jerry riggin my gear shifter back into it the truck died. after a few minutes of playing with my broke shifter i got back into park it heisated to start for a second but it fired back up and drove the rest of the way home just fine.

please help me. i swear i won't beat on it anymore i definetly learned my lesson. if anything i'll walk next time.
Sounds like the truck is very upset at you for how you treated her. They hold a grudge, ya know?

Check your neutral safety switch. Maybe it's now out of whack. Good luck.....and talk nice to her now fer gawd's sake!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Did you change the ignition switch with it, if so the key probably has the wrong resistor value for the vats module. You need to take your old key and your new key to the locksmith. Have them measure the pill (resistor) in your old key and cut you one with the new key pattern and the old pill value.

Chet
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

You probably either damaged the neutral safety switch or knocked it slightly out of adjustment when you broke the gearshift.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You are only getting momentary power to your ignition while you are turning the key to the crank position.......It is then cut when you release the key.....Problem is in the switch, I am sure........

BTW....where you been hiding the last year or so?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

This is a classic vats wrong key value problem, the system resets after about 10 minutes so you can try again. Get the right key or get the vats module from the vehicle the column came out of or put your old cylinder back in. If you didnt change the cylinder make sure the 2 real small either white or purple wires are still connected in the column

Chet
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I have a Friend that went and made a new key for his SUV,Well it would start sometimes and then killed.Went get the right key made,No more trouble's.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
Sounds like the truck is very upset at you for how you treated her. They hold a grudge, ya know?

Check your neutral safety switch. Maybe it's now out of whack. Good luck.....and talk nice to her now fer gawd's sake!

you know thats what i was thinking earlier today...no lie! i guess great minds think alike

for the rest of ya, yes i swapped the ignition cylinder i took everything that the wiring harness connected to and put it on my column. so you guys think if i take my old key cylinder and put it on the column it'll work? i don't particularly like that answer cause it's a pita to do now that the steering column is in place, but i will most certainly try it tomorrow.

thanks guys, if you can think of anything elses please let me know
Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
or was that certifiable?

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

With your security light flashing you definately have an issue with your vats system. So, T bucket hit it right on the head. When you have the starts momentarily then dies and will not restart until it sets for a few minutes these are classic security issues with this model truck.
These security systems have a timer that will reset after 1 - 3 minutes (I think is the default) which is why after it sets for a few minutes it will do the whole start then die thing. Follow T-buckets advice go to a locksmith have a new key cut the cut will need to match the new key and the little chip has a specific resistance so the new key will need to match your original in that aspect.
All this should be accurate providing you did not damage anything with the vats system. (like wiring or the contacts which read the chip)
GL, let us know if there is anything else we can do to help out.
OH BTW They do hold a grudge so be nice to her or you will keep walking
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse01
you know thats what i was thinking earlier today...no lie! i guess great minds think alike

for the rest of ya, yes i swapped the ignition cylinder i took everything that the wiring harness connected to and put it on my column. so you guys think if i take my old key cylinder and put it on the column it'll work? i don't particularly like that answer cause it's a pita to do now that the steering column is in place, but i will most certainly try it tomorrow.

thanks guys, if you can think of anything elses please let me know
yes put the old cylinder back in so you can use the correct key resistance value for your VATS module. Either that you can have a new key cut to the new key pattern but with the value of the original key. there are 16 different values and most locksmiths have them all. the last VATS key I had cut was like 15 bucks
Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Just to clarify, its not the cylinder that really makes the difference, it is the Key
Old 08-07-2008, 12:00 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Did you change the ignition switch with it, if so the key probably has the wrong resistor value for the vats module. You need to take your old key and your new key to the locksmith. Have them measure the pill (resistor) in your old key and cut you one with the new key pattern and the old pill value.

Chet

now this might sound stupid but i'm confused so please bare with me

when you say "resistor" (sp) you mean the chip thats on most GM keys? if so mine or the new one for that matter *edit* don't *edit* have one

Last edited by jesse01; 08-07-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
You are only getting momentary power to your ignition while you are turning the key to the crank position.......It is then cut when you release the key.....Problem is in the switch, I am sure........

BTW....where you been hiding the last year or so?
whats up man? i've been thru alot in the last year so i havn't really had time to do much with my project i had going so i just sorta drifted off...you know. i had another baby boy 4 months ago and moved here to tennessee in the last 2 months not to minchen i started a new job....so i kinda had alot on my plate lately. i wanna get back to my project and come hang in here more often i kinda miss some of ya how you been? enjoying the new flat screen i hope
Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Just to clarify, its not the cylinder that really makes the difference, it is the Key
Actually, on the newer vehicles it IS the cylinder, not the key. There is no longer a resistor pellet in the key, it's part of the cylinder assembly. This makes the key less expensive to manufacture, and since using a slide hammer to yank the lock cylinder during a theft attempt damages the resistor, the system is no less secure than having the resistor in the key. My 99 Chevy truck is the same way.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, on the newer vehicles it IS the cylinder, not the key. There is no longer a resistor pellet in the key, it's part of the cylinder assembly. This makes the key less expensive to manufacture, and since using a slide hammer to yank the lock cylinder during a theft attempt damages the resistor, the system is no less secure than having the resistor in the key. My 99 Chevy truck is the same way.
It must be the newer style, I stand corrected, either way putting the old cylinder back in will solve the issue

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.