So has anyone chosen NOT to rebuild their motor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So has anyone chosen NOT to rebuild their motor?

Some cars are parked for various reasons that have nothing to do with the internal condition of the long block. Just curious if anyone ever just runs the motor without rebuilding it. I'm talking really old cars though. Say 40 years and older. It seems like people are so quick to just yank a motor and rebuild it. Sometimes this alone becomes so over whelming that the car never gets back together. I've seen many cars at swap meets 50 years and even older that ran as smooth as new and were never rebuilt. I would at least replace leaky gaskets and valve seals and put in a carb kit.
Personally, if I were on a budget and the motor ran solid, I wouldn't care how old it is. Modern oils offer a lot more protection than 50 years ago. I say, drive it till its truly needing a rebuild.

Just curious what is the oldest, non rebuilt motor you have seen that is actually driven somewhat regular.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2005, 11:12 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

my brother has a 39 dodge car w/the stock flathead 6 in it. it had about 80,000 on it when he got it & drove it back forth to work (50miles each way)for about a year w/o a single problem other then running out of gas , the gauge is broke & he 4got to write his mileage down. other then changing the oil & adjusting the brakes he hasnt had a bit of problems w/it & its still running strong......joe
Old 03-10-2005, 11:40 AM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

The older engines are not built as tight (or as flimsy) as these newer ones, so they can be pretty worn and not smoke, blow head gaskets or warp heads and so on.

I just threw the dice on a 89 Ford Probe (junker), by putting a $40 head gasket on a worn engine with a warped head. It runs, but has low compression and water is mixing with oil and visa versa, but it is much better now that it's not a lawn ornament, and that it's worth more than the $50 a junkyard would give. So in the end it worked out.
But it's best not to cut corners if there is a chance it could come back and bite you in the butt. IMO
Old 03-10-2005, 11:54 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Not 50 years old, but my plan is to run a bone stock 351 out of the 1981 F-150 donor truck in my rat project without touching a thing on the motor except new valve cover gaskets. I haven't even cranked it over yet, but when the time comes, if it runs, thats as much as I'll do to the motor. Actually, when we built these things back in the 50's and 60's, a LOT of hot rods didn't have speed parts or overhauls. Transplanting a stock V8, even a tired one, was about all the power you could handle with a model A or model T light weight chassis. So I'm just claiming it's "period correct" to run a weezy engine.

Dewey
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

refresh

The 454 in the Lemans pictured in my Avatar is a refresh not a rebuild. It is a 1975, 454, std bore.

The heads are 1968, 427, 100.9cc heads. Which I understand to be quite rare and are 37 yrs old.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Can't catch me!

I have an original 1962 impala with a 283 thats all original and has only had new gaskets and a few minor exterior engine components installed and it runs likes its brand new. but it also only has 86,013 miles
Old 03-10-2005, 01:18 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

I will be running my 1959 Zephyr with 108000 miles on it without a rebuild, may do seals though but it runs like a top even with 3 year old gas and a sticky carb. The 351W out of a 1979 econoline thats goin into my t-bird will probabally get pulled apart and a gasket set but nothings being replaced internally. I'm not worried
Old 03-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I got my '90 5.0 from a salvage yard for $200. They said it was a core that needed a rebuild. Teh cylinder walls were in great condition so I paid the cash brought it home. When I got it back I pulled the rod and main caps off. It was a fresh rebuild. All the bearings looked barely broken in. All I did was clean it up, retorque everything, and run it.

I know it isn't 40 years old, but it still fits your logic.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.