So how did you get the Bug! Motors, Speed, Cars, Hot Rodss - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
My intro happened pretty much like Bob's. It was 1955, I was 13 and looking over the news stand at the drug store. I bought a Hot Rod magazine and that was it. When I was 16, my buddy Ken Thomas and I started a car club called Viking Customs (Dayton, Ohio). The area car clubs were invited by the NHRA Division Director to come out to Dahio Airport on Sundays and help to operate the drag strip that used one of the taxiways for the airport.

That's where I first saw that '56 Chevy with a Duntov cam and solid lifters that ruined me. I just stood there, mesmerized, as the motor idled saying "potato, potato, potato, potato". (Insert big, stupid smile here).
"potato, potato, potato, potato" LOL, I have never heard that before (well I have heard the "potato, potato, potato, potato") that is a perfect description!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

No cable TV, no play station an my mom was a bitc_, but as long as I was outside she didn't bother me. We had 4 cars at that time a brand new 73 nova, 65 Olds station wagon, 69 Chevy PU an my brothers 65 2 door Malibu. An I had a fresh brand new drivers lics. an I could only drive when my mom wanted something, during the day of course. My dad worked for a Pontiac dealership here in San Antonio. I didn't know it then but he was in the same boat as I was in, as long as you were outside mom wouldn't f__k with you an there was no beer drinking inside the house either. So he was under the hood of something. We never hottroded anything but it seemed like something needed to be fixed all the time,but I think he just wanted to have a few beers before going in. I hung around with the hot rod crowd in high school when not chasing puntang. It gets into your blood an never leaves. For about 20 yrs. I couldn't afford to build anything so I just repaired all of my kids cars. But now that they hae moved out its my turn.
78 Z 28 Camaro t-top
357 cu. in.
Ported Vortech heads
390 HP
700r4 trans
Posi w/3.42
Disc brakes front & rear
All new front & rear supinson
An soon a new paint job
An I have a 89 Nissan 240 SX waiting for me.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Mines pretty straight forward, as a little kid I rode all over Ontario to different shows in the rumble seat of my uncles 35 ford (flat black, then hugger orange, then a color I won't admit to, then this)

Then at 14 years old my Dad bought our 34 Chev more door, was flat black, then horrible 80's teal, then morphed into a 2 door and flat black again

At 12 years old went for a ride in this, fell in love with loud and fast....

we hung out with a guy named Pete who loved beaters and budget and oddball stuff and it stuck big time....
That's it

Last edited by bygddy; 11-10-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

3 or 4 y/o dad dragged out a gocart either him and his brother made or his dad it used a electric motor and battery. anyways, I put the pedel down and never lifted, until I ended up under the 66 caprice and the tow receiver ripped my finder tip. then it was off to hospital.. but sead was sow'n the need for speed..
we didn't get the normal "big wheel" this was more like a tricycle with a small bed in back.. they were metal.. played with it until I couldn't make it any faster..down hills, next was bikes, then a moped, that really scared my mother so much that she had her bother comebye while I was in school to take it away.. I got it to go 50mph guess people saw me on rt 18 passing cars as I road down the side of the road, cars speed limit is 45 and I as moving faster than them..
dads snapper rider, fixed that to do wheelies out of the hole.. dad was not happy.. then dads cars, the 66 caprice didn't do it as the curb feelers and te rubber tails off the rear bumper looked more like something out of a cheech and chong movie, the 73 cutlass was metallic brown and didn't do it. other than thinking the tail lights with them sunk into the 1/4s and bumber was cool..
then he brought home the '77 cutlass "S"442 on the station wrecker it was white with red chevelle stripes, it was a recovered theft.. this was in '78 this one did it. as it was the first one I saw the before and after. it went from white with red strips and half vinyl roof to gm metallic black and silver painted like the newer 78 up 442's tutones and he added the 78 up w30 gold alum wheels. it looked sharp. and with glasspacks had a nice deep tone. the olds engines sould so much deeper than the chevies with glasspacks, the olds sound sweet.. That car set the hook that I'll die with still stuck in my heart and if I could afford a clean one, i'd have it.. but they seem to command 14k ish for clean ones
Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

One of my earliest memories involving other people (I was around 2 or 3) was of my cousins drawing cars; when I was 5, I "helped" my dad rebuild the engine in a '58 Thunderbird he was fixing up, while my uncle was racing a Fuel Altered, and was thinking about ways to convert my tricycle into a truck; and I was 9 or 10 when I saw a car (probably a GTO or Roadrunner) go by, all jacked up in back with glass packs and that sweet "pucketta-pucketta-pucketta" idle; and I was 14 when my cousin started working on a '56 F-100

Last edited by Dragonoake; 11-11-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.