So how did you get the Bug! Motors, Speed, Cars, Hot Rodss - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So how did you get the Bug! Motors, Speed, Cars, Hot Rodss

Well i am starting this thread, from Brian post the 57 lincoln post, as i did not want to hi jack it.

So how did you get started with The Hot Rod Bug!!

well i know it was my Dad & older Brothers.

this is my dad's first business card.
i am 11 years from being born. my dad is 84 now!

i will be posting some Early photos of my life as this progresses!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-07 001 001.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	731.2 KB
ID:	97290  

Advertisement

Last edited by killeratrod; 11-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Pretty much the same story here KRR. I was raised in a shop. My dad has owned a shop since before I was thought of. Being raised around it, I learned a little bit of everything and quickly found that I would much rather be doing the body work and painting. I have a knowledge of everything on a car, but I try to avoid anything not paint and body related (except I find myself doing reassembly after restoration of course). I never really developed a desire to building engines or drivetrain. I don't mind reassembling vehicles after restoration, but I usually farm out the engine builds and interiors.

Kelly
Old 11-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,166 Posts
Big brother had a black '49 Merc with a Chrysler 392 Hemi in 1958 or so. I thought both big brother and that Merc were the coolest things in the whole world.

Big brother couldn't care less about a car now days but I am still trying to be that cool........

John
Old 11-09-2013, 09:20 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Same. Grew up around a garage. The beauty of those old cars and trucks driving around in the 60's just stuck with me. The mechanical and electrical end of it has never been a problem for me. I am doing my own body work for the first time. I really like the welding and making my own panel aspect of it. The body work did discourage me a bit at first. But with some tips from the guys here I am finding I enjoy it. Darn learning curve keeps biting me though. I whimped out and bought most of the panels. I wish I had just made them myself now.

Fixing old cars and other old things is just who I am.
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigK For This Useful Post:
John long (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,084 Posts
My brother mostly he built mini bikes and motorcycles then cars out in the barn and I loved it. My Godparents lived up our street just a few hundred feet away, their son was a hot rodder. He was one of the founding members of NorCal Early Iron.

All these guys would be at his house on a weekend, I saw these cars all the time, and saw what they could do!

So I was influenced big time!

There was a 50 Dodge in a field across the field that was in front of our house and my brother drug it home one day. He let me work on it and I shaved the emblems on the hood, first time I ever touched bondo. Right at that time I went to see American Graffiti, holy crap I HAD to have a chopped car! I bought my brothers friends 48 Chevy pickup and I am still working on it today! (literally today). On a side note, the guy I bought that truck from, his wife passed away last night.

Brian
Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Many years ago:

I lived on a farm in northwestern Michigan. During the summers my parents would send me to the big city to stay with my grandparents for a week or two. Kind of a break for them?
One day my grandmother had some laundry to do and the old Westinghouse was on the fritz. We went to a coin laundry.. As I was terrorizing the other patrons. My granny took me next door to a drug store and let me pick out a magazine to occupy my time. There was a mag called Hot Rod with a funny looking dragster on the cover. I was lost in that mag the entire afternoon..That set the hook..
Then a neighbor had an old Merc coupe and I helped (wrench go-fer) install a nailhead Buick. Another had a tri-power Pontiac. The gas station guy had a 40 chevy pickup with a pontiac in it. Used to pay me with free drinks and candy/chips for doing dirty clean up work on parts..
Oil and grease got into the blood...
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

ok i will fast forward .this is one of the many cars my dad had. i guess i am about 5 or 6. this model t was the Paterson NJ Fire chiefs when new. The town had it painted red .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	97385   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	97393  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Very cool! I have always wanted a stock car of that vintage, I think it would be so cool to drive something like that! And that T is one of the most beautiful, practical pieces of machinery ever!

My dad can't be left out of my hotrodding influences too! I forget because he had zero mechanical ability. The man could build the most perfect fences and stuff like that but when it came to metal, whoa, my brother and I have a running joke about that, man he was absolutely void of mechanical skills. He had no skills but he had the bug non the less. He bought a 55 Ford F-100 when I was just about six years old (1965) He bought it along with a 58 Buick trade in (he was a car salesmen) this was in 1966 so the car wasn't as old as my family truckster in my driveway! Anyway, we had an old corrugated tin building out in front of our house that was a repair shop at one time, it had a grease pit! I vaegly remember it, only was allowed in it a few times, it had an office off to the side. Damn I wish I had that building today! It was knocked down when I was about 7 years old when they widened main street. Anyway, he brought that Buick home, and the truck, and a mechanic from the shop at the Buick dealership he worked in, Al Pratt, he came and swapped out the Y block or the Buick 364, complete with Dynaflow.

So I had that at home, and drove that truck like that to highschool. Damn good times! My dad also loved convertibles buying a few over the years for my mom to drive (who didn't like convertibles) one was a beautiful 68 Impala that I drove to my Jr Prom.

Brian
Old 11-10-2013, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

here is one that my dad had parked next to the model t
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	864.4 KB
ID:	97425   Click image for larger version

Name:	028.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	871.2 KB
ID:	97433  
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

speaking of chevys, 1940 was sold to the Fiat museum in italy for the american car wing. that 66 chevelle was mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	97441   Click image for larger version

Name:	032.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	97449   Click image for larger version

Name:	033.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	97457   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	874.2 KB
ID:	97465  
Old 11-10-2013, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Cool stuff!

Brian
Old 11-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
My intro happened pretty much like Bob's. It was 1955, I was 13 and looking over the news stand at the drug store. I bought a Hot Rod magazine and that was it. When I was 16, my buddy Ken Thomas and I started a car club called Viking Customs (Dayton, Ohio). The area car clubs were invited by the NHRA Division Director to come out to Dahio Airport on Sundays and help to operate the drag strip that used one of the taxiways for the airport.

That's where I first saw that '56 Chevy with a Duntov cam and solid lifters that ruined me. I just stood there, mesmerized, as the motor idled saying "potato, potato, potato, potato". (Insert big, stupid smile here).
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

I blame it on ancestry on Dad's side of the family.
My great-great grandfather had the fastest horses in the county. When his kids went to town in the buggy he would hand them the whip and tell them not to let anyone pass them.

It always bugged Dad that Grandpa would have the tractors torn down when it was time to start the spring work.

My older sister and I were car shopping at a local dealer, the salesman was a classmate of Dad's when the topic turned to color he stated, "It didn't matter what color of car your Dad owned, all you could see was a streak anyway." We already knew what he was talking about, a low speed ride with Dad would have been very unusual.

Dad gave me my first car, a 1956 Ford 2 door sedan, when I was 14. It was his intention that I would build it into a car that I could take to a track and race since he knew I would be doing the racing thing anyway. It did eventually see some racing but not on a track. In hind sight I should have done the track thing.

I was doomed.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:33 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

my father couldn't fix anything that moved, he was a heck of a woodworker though.
fixing bikes, and motor cycles and then my first 58 chevy truck was bought from the high school janitor my freshman year.
it's been down hill since then
Old 11-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I will blame my dad too...He could fix anything and had to, as he didnt have the money to hire anyone. He used to buy old VWs, rebuild them and sell them to make extra cash. I kind of followed in his footsteps, including the no money part.....lol Difference between us was that I liked to go fast...it scared him.

Budget RVs
The Following User Says Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (11-10-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.