So how do I delete Fire Fox? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 09:12 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So how do I delete Fire Fox?

Ok I just installed Fire Fox. I can't figure out for the life of me why people think that it's so great. It's not faster. It pretty much looks the same. Infact I find the way the pages load to be slightly annoying.

Am I missing something here? Is there a magic button I need to click?

Oh god it gets worse. Alphabetical Favorites? What the hell? Just what I needed, now I have to dig to find what I use to have in my old I.E. top ten.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 02-02-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

The main reason why it seems so good is because these spy wear has not yet inbedded its self into the program. While some offer protection from such things most are just as bad as IE because of the basic design of spy wear it is near impossible to make a internet system without it. Basic clean up and system work would fix all problems with IE. I have never had a problem with it. A little time spent on the computer can go a long ways and save money from taking it to a repair man charging $75 an hour.

Chris
Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

just go into "my computer" then to "control panel", then into "add/remove programs", then click on the program and hit uninstall.

i didn't like it either... had it 5 minutes then uninstalled it.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.

and lol, I know how to get rid of it. That heading was just for effect.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I was having problems with firefox to, but I also tried that pipelining stuff to try and speed things up a bit. I think that may have messed it up.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

From experience most of the so called system "speed up" programs to not work. Much like the snake oil products of the auto world many companies make huge amounts of money on stuff people COULD do if they had the proper skills. Most Internet connections that are "slow" will always be just that because there is a limit as to how fast your line can send and receive information. Your line can get SLOWER but not faster then its max.

Most pipeline type programs that offer to speed up your computer use simple tools that delete some of the system RAM (memory) in order for things you want to load faster. This of course causes problems with things such a wesites when RAM is used more then anything. Best way to speed things up. Close all online programs your not using. Use Internet at low traffic times or get other means of connection DSL Cable ADSL T1 T3 lines.

Delete all unused files that you may have built up in your hard drive that you no longer use remove old programs that are not used. and defrag the drive it will have to up to a good speed and the most important part your system is stable!

Chris
Old 02-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

Well 1 thing that is excellent about fire fox is that it has tabbed browsing. (attachment below i've got 7 hr.com open in one firefox) just click links with the scroll wheel on the mouse if you have one.
Also the fact of recieving less spyware.
Bookmarks are only alphabetical when you import them. After then they do what ever you can move them to what position you want them.
No pop ups
There is a page info option when you right click a webpage then you can go to media tab and save what ever is on the page Good for embeded videos, pictures, etc the webmaster dowsnt want you to have
Probably alot more cool stuff i havent even figured out yet.

Screenshot
Old 02-03-2005, 05:19 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Yes but with XP you can also save space by having all internet pages on one tab and go into them OR you can have them all at the bottom. I know it may be nice to have them at the top like tha but there isent much differance useage wise then at the bottom. The less spywear as I said is a tempory thing. given most spywear is meant to infect IE there are newer and strongerr ones that will get into ANY brower. It is becomeing a big problem. Not to mention that all browers use one of the script programs (java, C++) as their base and since spywear works on the same code these can be infected.

If you installed the updates as you should have for a safe computer you will find windows has added a pop up blocker to IE. They should soon offer a scanner to remove spywear as well but I suggest you stick to one of the programs listed. I have had the best luck with AdAware but the others also work well.

Chris
Old 02-03-2005, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

I'll chime in hear since I've been a computer professional for about 15 years.

Firefox is generally considered the best thing out there right now by most pros (engineers, coders, etc).

Mainly because it was designed with security in mind and also because most attacks are written specifically to exploit MS stuff (death to the evil devil spawn and all of that)

You can all go back to IE if you like but I wouldn't do it if I had a choice. Firefox is good stuff.

MS is under serious pressure now to fix these problems and as such they may soon put out something that works well but it will get hacked pretty quick too if history is any indication.

Wally
Old 02-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Re: So how do I delete Fire Fox?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
Oh God it gets worse. Alphabetical Favorites? What the hell? Just what I needed, now I have to dig to find what I use to have in my old I.E. top ten.
Ghetto:
You can move them and organize them in any order you want. No big deal.

Give it some time. I was exactly like you. For me, I was especially annoyed because the webpages that I developed in Microsoft Front Page looked terrible - at first. Then I figured out ways to adjust them on my end to work better with a different browser.

Ed
Old 02-03-2005, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Don't take this thread to seriously guys. It's for humor.

I'll use Firefox if it's safer.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have several browsers on your computer.

But if you don't know how to install, uninstall, and select different browsers, then, odds are, you aren't going to benefit much from the advantages of Firefox.

Part of the reason why people are hyping Firefox is that Firefox has a program whereby people can post links for people to get Firefox; and when people click on those links, the link poster gets rewarded. I've even had to delete such links from this board, as it is a form of advertising. It may very well be better than IE -- that wouldn't be so hard. But it doesn't have the market share that IE has, which means that it doesn't have the power to enforce compliance with its standards.

The best browser is the one that's used by the person with the most knowledge. If you know what you're doing, arguing over which browser to use is like arguing over which hammer is the best for banging metal -- it's the last thing you should be worried about.

If you're worried about security, get an inexpensive old Macintosh computer off of ebay (less than $200), and use the browser that comes with it. That's what I do, and I never have any virus problems, and the board runs just fine, and works and displays perfectly for me. I can only recall getting 1 harmful virus on a Macintosh computer in my life. I was 8 years old, and my father was so excited that he actually caught a virus, that he called me and my siblings into the computer room to look at the screen. Sometimes our server (IBM architecture w/Red Hat Linux) will pick up a linux worm or virus, but never the $150 ebay iMac that works perfectly for all my programming, web designing, surfing, and administrating needs.

There's a related thread in the Site Suggestions and Help forum about this that might also be helpful.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
Part of the reason why people are hyping Firefox is that Firefox has a program whereby people can post links for people to get Firefox; and when people click on those links, the link poster gets rewarded. I've even had to delete such links from this board, as it is a form of advertising.
Since I posted the Firefox pictures and you deleted them for advertising, I must be the guilty party you are referring to.

Honestly, I did (do) not know about any rewards program. I just thought it would be cool to embed an image with a hyperlink within my post. I figured since it is free, it would not be considered advertising, at least that was not my intent.

Here is an example:

Nevertheless, you did what you had to do and that is fine. I would never intentionally violate your rules. Ed

Last edited by edge; 02-03-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Ed -- yes, I know. That's why I didn't mention a name, or ever bring it up to you; I just quietly deleted it. Figured you might not be aware anyway, but I try to just zap any affiliate links I see. I still appreciate the straightforwardness though !
Old 02-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I downloaded firefox, and It has worked well for me.

I had so much spyware through IE that it wouldn't even run. I'm not by any means a computer wiz. I just type and that's about it.

I was able to use my computer with Firefox, and with IE, it wouldn't run. Firefox is good for bean heads like me who are clueless when it comes to fixing their computers.

This spyware, adware and virus stuff is a real war now. I have a new computer at the shop, and I won't even put it on the net because of fear of screwing up my computer (with my books on it) from being attacked.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.