So, how fast should this go? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 05:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

If you're going to change a bunch of stuff, why not get a 2004r and some 4.11's

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

po-glide performance

Some of you guys need to check back in Chevy history about racing with po-glides.
Theyve been used in just about every form of motorracing you can imagine, including sports cars.
Remember the first Vettes came out with a 6 pack and po-glide as the only drive train available.

To say that a you cant start out with a 1.80 low is nonsence.
If you will notice, a lot of gassers etc run just two speed trannies.

Chevies did a pretty good job of dominating most of the production automatic classes in drag racing from the 50's on up.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Re: po-glide performance

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith
Some of you guys need to check back in Chevy history about racing with po-glides.
Theyve been used in just about every form of motorracing you can imagine, including sports cars.
Remember the first Vettes came out with a 6 pack and po-glide as the only drive train available.

To say that a you cant start out with a 1.80 low is nonsence.
If you will notice, a lot of gassers etc run just two speed trannies.

Chevies did a pretty good job of dominating most of the production automatic classes in drag racing from the 50's on up.
sure you can run a two speed and low gears. Especially in a gasser or other car that has 600 horse, big rear gears and weighs 2600 lbs.

We're talking about a 3700 lb car that has no gear and 200 horse. Gears are going to make more difference than anything else, bet you my paycheck.

K
Old 11-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Head like a Deathstar

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

yes gearing makes a difference. if you change to a lower first like in a th350, it is just like changing to a lower rear gear! same thing ! torque multiplication through gearing. now with the 3 series gear the car is a better drive. better= less wear,better mileage, higher top speed, higher cruising speed.

keep it stock, hotrod something else,to get your fix

they use powerglides for consistency. 2 gears = more predictable track times. thats it ! ...there is no comparision. max sure you can do it but the multiplication wont be there. "time to add a 5000 stall"..lol

i have never been happy with a 4.10+ vehicle on the street(maybe with a tall OD it would be better). when i build a vehicle,left lane cruising is a must.

on the strip, go big . go 4.10, or whatever gear puts you near the redline as you cross the finish. that is a awesome feeling,screaming till the end!

Last edited by spinn; 11-29-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

a 3700 lb car with a 2.73 rear and the th350 still is going to be a dog with 200 horse. Trust me, I have a 3700 lb car (with me in it) with that setup making 425-450 horse and it could still use more gear.

A stock or mild motor would probably hang with if not take a car with 100 more horse if the stocker had a significant amout of gear (say 3.73 compaired with 2.73).

The TH350 has a 2.52 first gear, its relatively tall. Until you get way up there in the horsepower range, you're always going to benefit with having more gearing options on the street. Otherwise nobody would bother building overdrive systems like gearvenders.

K
Old 11-30-2004, 03:46 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

i bought a glide for the vette ,i then discovered that the glide works best in a vehicle over 600 h.p. and under 3000 lbs. too bad i got it all built and bought a stall convertor before i learned this.mike
Old 11-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeweyman
i bought a glide for the vette ,i then discovered that the glide works best in a vehicle over 600 h.p. and under 3000 lbs. too bad i got it all built and bought a stall convertor before i learned this.mike
Seriously? That's too bad man...

See if somebody will trade you for it!

K
Old 12-11-2004, 01:13 AM

Guys...This is a STOCK 350 with a 2barrel...The 300 cam was the cam that was used in both 250 and 300 horse 327's and 350's, but they rated horses alot different back then. It has less than 200 duration @ .050 and only lifts about .395. So with a 'glide, it WILL be a dog unless he adds some converter and gears.

If it were mine, it would get a 350TH so fast it would make your head swim, and I would run a converter of at least 2000RPM stall. That motor has so little torque, it probably wouldn't stall that high.If I could talk dear old dad into a cam, I would go with something like the Comp 260 Extreme energy (or even a 252 or 256!) Any of those would increase bottom end and mid range torque

If dad decides that the' glide stays, then maybe he would bite for a higher stall converter..anything to get the engine up into the power range quicker would help

And the 30-30 cam was a Chevy factory "Off -Road cam" that had many incarnations, but the last one that I used had over 300 advertised duration, and lifted around .465...With Z 28 valve springs, you could twist em up to 7000RPM easy...They were a solid lifter cam that the clearances for were .030 and .030, hence 30-30, or as we called them in Atlanta, the Thuty=Thuty..

The powerglide is not a good choice in a street car as it is only a two speed. Racers use them because they can be built bullet proof, because it is easy to add a trans brake, because it kills low end power and thus aids traction, and because it only shifts once, it makes the car more consistent. And, a race 'glide is only about 60-80 pounds..Ever try to stuff in a TH350 while laying on your back ??? A 'glide equipped car with electronics can make 10 passes in a single day all within a thousandth of a second...Thats what our 9 second 155MPH race car does, and a trained baboon could get it to run the number.
The reasons that they are good for race cars is a minus when applied to street cars. They are notoriously slow out of the hole, they don't have a "passing gear " up at speeds where you really need one. They don't run on the streets at a favorable RPM for economy or safety....
Actually if it were mine, it would get a 383 or 406 painted orange with a qjet , a 700R4 and a set of 4.56 or 4.88 gears, and go eat some serious rice while looking stock
And Max, the first vettes had 3 one barrel sidedraft carbs on a 235 that made a whoopin'145 horses...My stock 241inch 53 dodge with a 3 speed and 4.11's was famous for beating a new corvette on the ElCamino in San Mateo in front of Kibbey's drive in..They were not much quicker than a 54 Bel Air with a glide

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.