So, how fast should this go? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 08:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

So, how fast should this go?

Hey guys. Well, I finally got done with the project I've been working on. My dad has an all original 67 Camaro. We did a minor restore a year ago including the rebuild of the original 210HP 2bbl Turbo-Fire carb. When we built the engine, everything that went back in was stock. We did put a "very mild cam" in the car. The machine shop that did the machine work called it thier 300 horse cam? I wish I had the cam card now Anways, the tranny in the car is an original 2 speed power glide and the rear end is a one tire fire 2.73 rear end. So, now that you are up to speed on that, what I have been working on lately was installing a new Edelbrock performer intake and new Edelbrock 600 CFM carb. We took it out for a spin today, and man does she run good!! We can even make the tires spin a bit with those low gears! My big question is, how fast should this car be able to accelerate with these gears? I think it runs great, but my dad keeps thinking that it should be able to go quicker. What can these gears with that tranny really produce? Thanks again!

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

a 2 speed powerglide and 2.73 hurts.it hard to say how fast.

to move to a th350 3 speed would give you a extra gear to pull through. that makes a big noticeable difference in drivablity. a mild cam works good with a mild stall like 2000. with a performer intake and a 600cfm, that sounds like a performance driver to me. may only get to 14's but would be great fun(w/ 300hp and a 3 speed with mild stall)

Last edited by spinn; 11-28-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the reply Its goign to be tough to convince him to change tranny or rear end He wants to keep it original.. I had a tough time convincing him to buy all the edelbrock stuff and let me bolt it on. We put all the other stuff away in the boxes Its tough just because of the originality of the car. The glass in it even still has the original factoring etching. If you want, I can post a couple pics of what I did and the interior of the car. Let me know.

Mike
Old 11-28-2004, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

how fast will it go?

I would forcast times more like in the mid 16's as in stock trim it was a high 17's car.
What that machine shop was calling their 300 hp cam was probably the old 300 hp 327 cam shaft. Back in the old days it was called a 30/30 Duntov. The reason it was called a 30/30 was because advertized duration was 300 degrees on both sides.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:00 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I dont know how fast the car would be in the 1/4, but if you went with a turbo 350 and 355-373 gears, the car would seem twice as fast. I had a car with a stock 30 year old 307 with a turbo 350 and 273 gears. I built a 355 with 375 hp and 407 ft lbs which was over twice the hp and torque of the 307, and installed a 700r4 transmission. After I got the motor installed, I drove it a while, and then switched the rear gears to 3.90's with a posi. I noticed more of a performance difference with the gear swap after the motor switch than with the swap from the tired 307 to the 355 with the 273 gears. The 355 had vortec heads, a XE268H cam, performer RPM intake, and a 650 carb.

Adam
Old 11-28-2004, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

how fast will it go?

A good compromise gear for your car would be one in the 3.50- 3.60 range. It will be deep enough to get you off the line good and probably drop another second off your ET, and yet tall enough for highway cruising.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Changing the rear gear ratio will not detract from the originality of the car....OK, maybe if you decode the tag. They came with various gear ratios.

Changing the tranny is a bolt in. You can keep the 2 speed.

Run that by the "old guy".....................tell him that this old guy says it's OK.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:19 PM

Hehe, thanks Poncho. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for all the tips everyone. Much appreciated!! See you all around!
Mike
Old 11-28-2004, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

flash backs

A lot of guys used to run powerglides and still do in dragracing. The big thing is you need a wide lobe center cam for that. Most po-glides came with a 1.80 low gear, and 1:1 hi. With a warm engine, a 4.10 gear was just what the Dr. ordered.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last photo:

for the track, when the doc gives you a prescription for speed.. this sounds like a performance resto cruiser.?. says he redid the interior..

i thought it was a 350 not a 307. in high school my 71 chevelle went 14.8 had 350 w/mild stall.close to stock gearing w/14" wheels

Last edited by spinn; 11-29-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

more horses; faster women

Another thing that a lot of guys do with those po-glides to make them work better, and shift harder and faster. Drain your dextron trannny fluid and put F type transmission fluid in it. Not only will it be like putting a shift kit in the trans but the guys that did it told me that it sure didnt hurt the transmissions life any either.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

With 210 hp on first generation Camaro, why start gearing it up etc. to make it faster? Why not just buy your own car that you can build to be fast. Enjoy the stock Camaro for what it is.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:57 PM

IIuciano77, that is basically what we do with it. Mostly a sunny day sunday (no pun inteded ) driver. We just bolted on those Edelbrock parts for alittle bit of fun and such, but it would only take a few hours to put the two BBL back on. Reason I can't buy my own car? Haha, still working on college. To damn broke Anyways, thanks again for all your advice/insight/tips. Take care

Mike
Old 11-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I doubt you'll even be in the 16's. Cam swaps and other upgrades will likely make next to no difference with the bad gearing.

For the money you'll be going a lot faster with a 200 R4 and a set of 3.73 gears.

K
Old 11-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Reviewing the situation

Last photo:

what?

gear isnt everything, you can do a lot with 3.08-3.55 gears. you just cant start with a 1.80 first. the th350 has like 2.4 1st i think. isnt that the same as adding a little gear like a 3.70! ?

and you can be smilely smile at 70mph

the overdrive is a great idea!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.