So many recent advances in EVs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

So many recent advances in EVs

Interstate 5 running from Canada to Mexico through the west coast are having quick electric charge stations placed every 25 miles, first 8 are finished in Oregon.

Just about every major car manufacturer has electric offerings by next year 2013.

Better yet, read the latest car magazine (all electric) and learn also about Formula E racing, and of course electric hot rodding and drag strips.

http://issuu.com/chargedevs/docs/apr-may-2012/63

Stay abreast of the conversion to electric vehicles with "CHARGED" magazine.

Advertisement

Last edited by deckofficer; 05-21-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Banned User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

One thing i was thinking about a few days ago was if you look at the hi-speed trains---i think they either float above their tracks and power rail or maybe come in contact with them.

But let's say they float and don't make contact; i was thinking that certain parts of the highway could have electric "rails" embeded in the pavement and you could re-charge while driving along it. This would be by payment of course---similar to paying tolls/using ez-pass transponders etc. Maybe have certain dedicated lanes which all traffic could use.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
I just had my old co-worker come by who now works at Tesla. They are having a big open house party with the first car off the line being delivered to the buyer . There is going to be big time media from around the world there and he thinks he can get me in! I am THERE baby if he can.

Brian
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I just had my old co-worker come by who now works at Tesla. They are having a big open house party with the first car off the line being delivered to the buyer . There is going to be big time media from around the world there and he thinks he can get me in! I am THERE baby if he can.

Brian
Brian,

I really hope so because it isn't just another job, but being involved in something you believe in. I hope they consider you for a position in the R&D labs, I've always enjoyed working in the Engineering Dept.

Bob
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Brian,

I really hope so because it isn't just another job, but being involved in something you believe in. I hope they consider you for a position in the R&D labs, I've always enjoyed working in the Engineering Dept.

Bob
I was just talking about getting into the party. As far as getting a job there I would love it but I simply haven't got the nuts, I am going to be staying where I am.

Brian
Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
I was just talking about getting into the party. As far as getting a job there I would love it but I simply haven't got the nuts, I am going to be staying where I am.

Brian
A party is good. Take pictures if they allow. I've talked to someone here that is in between jobs, and was hoping to get on at the Fremont plant.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

From what I understand photos are exactly what will be happening! My friend says that they are passing out new uniforms the day before and you are expected to be clean shaven and well groomed.

I hope I can get in. I have been in the plant a number of times and it is very cool to see. I can't wait to see it with the new Tesla!

Brian
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds
One thing i was thinking about a few days ago was if you look at the hi-speed trains---i think they either float above their tracks and power rail or maybe come in contact with them.

But let's say they float and don't make contact; i was thinking that certain parts of the highway could have electric "rails" embeded in the pavement and you could re-charge while driving along it. This would be by payment of course---similar to paying tolls/using ez-pass transponders etc. Maybe have certain dedicated lanes which all traffic could use.
Your concept is valid. AC electrical energy can be transferred via induction, same way a transformer works with fields of flux. Could be in the road bed. They are building easy charging at home where you straddle an induction pad on your garage floor, never having to plug in.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
From what I understand photos are exactly what will be happening! My friend says that they are passing out new uniforms the day before and you are expected to be clean shaven and well groomed.

I hope I can get in. I have been in the plant a number of times and it is very cool to see. I can't wait to see it with the new Tesla!

Brian
I've never been to the plant. Not many people really impress me as movers and shakers, but Elon Musk sure does. Co-founder PayPal, Tesla, and founder of SpaceX, a private space company that just launched a rocket to the Space Station. All by the age of 40. He is only worth $2 billion, because he re-invests his successes.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

I'm just wondering when our power grid is going to be updated to handle the extra load. It's already overtaxed to the max in the summer time and many areas experienced 'rolling' black outs last summer. Also, is electric cars really the way to go? What about trucking? And with the added load on power plants, will electric cars really make a dent in harmful emissions generated from the power plants?

Last edited by cranky1; 05-25-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 AM

Last journal entry: Rear Floor
Last photo:

Here is an article about Electric Cars

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/0...electric-cars/
Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Electric cars have their place. Short commuter trips.

People seem to think we have made huge advances in battery design. Show me a link to a battery that has enough capacity to lift a Boeing 747 to 30,000 feet above sea level, and then fly it 8,000 miles. Do not forget the battery has to fit in the wings and fuselage of the plane, and leave room for about 400 passengers, and their luggage.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:52 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
I'm just wondering when our power grid is going to be updated to handle the extra load. It's already overtaxed to the max in the summer time and many areas experienced 'rolling' black outs last summer. Also, is electric cars really the way to go? What about trucking? And with the added load on power plants, will electric cars really make a dent in harmful emissions generated from the power plants?
This is why the Smart Grid is being rolled out. Today the infrastructure has to be such to handle peak demands. With electric cars charging during off-peak times at a lower cost per kw/hr, then selling un-used power from the batteries back to the grid to assist in peak demands, everyone is a winner.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS50
Here is an article about Electric Cars

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/0...electric-cars/
Read the article and it seems ED MORRISSEY doesn't stay too up to date on developments, since he wrote it in 2011. Today's lithium batteries are able to achieve 3000 cycles before dropping to 80% of rated capacity. So if you bought the new Model S with the highest optioned battery for 300 mile range, and you recharge at an average of 275 miles X 3000 = 810,000 miles, and now your battery only holds 240 mile range. You have to get out of your head old life cycles of batteries, these new ones are a different animal.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Last journal entry: Rear Floor
Last photo:

It makes me no differance about the cycle rates of the batteries. I just had the article in my favorites from a while back and thought I would post it. So old it it made to the bottom of the list and thats how I noticed it was still there. Personally I dont care about the electric vehicles one way or the other. Drive what you want gas or electric its your choice. Personally I will stick with gas vehicles unless I am on the golf course or the government decides to outlaw gas vehicles. Have fun with whatever you drive is what I say.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.