Hot Rod Forum banner

So say you ran a 6.6l duramax while it was a GALLON low - diesel guys come inside

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  35WINDOW 
#1 ·
shop truck, another coworker was doing most of the work, i was just kinda playing assistant.

he gets sent to get the oil and filter, parts stores computer says it takes 25 quarts or something of the sort.

4 gallons get dumped in, i thought it was only 3 at this point and i KNOW i gave it more then 3 last time the oil was changed, but i couldnt remember exactly what it took

i cant find the capacities in the book, ive hardly even looked yet really and the boss's son comes out while im pulling the dipstick just to see if were close yet. i mean thats kinda what the dipstick is there for right ?

turns out the book says 10 qts, we have 16 quarts in it, boss's son say to drain out 1 1/2 gallons. in the eman time i check the dipstick again and it APPEARS where maybe 1.5 QUARTS high, judging by the distance between the Full and low marks

if for the sake of this discussion the F and L marks ar 1 inch apart, we were about 1.25 inches ABOVE the full mark.

i get overruled and ordered to remove 1.5 gallons. i do so.

oil no longer touched the dipstick, but the boss's son fires the truck up anyways because apparently its important to "cycle the oil" before checking the level

so it runs for like 5 minutes while Jr runs around counting empties and consulting the book.

by the time we were done adding oil again, we had dumped 1 gallon back in, and the dipstick showed that we were about 1/2 quart below full.

Please tell me that truck will be dead by wednesday, that would make my day :)

See less See more
#2 ·
No such luck, it will run forever...its a diesel. Of course if the bosses son inadvertantly forgot to tighten the drain plug... :mwink:

Sounds like you guys had a Laurel and Hardy routine goin there, kinda like the joke "how many guys does it take to screw in a light bulb".

#3 ·
Unless the oil pump is sucking air it won't do any harm. Even if it was sucking air it will probably be fine. I have seen on several occasions my brother in law change his oil and only 1 qt comes out :pain: Car has 150K on it and is still running.

In my past life as A shuttle driver. I was driving one of the vans and the low oil light starts poping on and off, so I drive it another half mile before I can pull over. Hmmmm no oil on the dipstick. add 2 quarts.... hmmmm no oil on the dipstick. Add another 2 quarts and there she is up to the full mark. So we are talking 4 quarts low in a 5 quart system.. We ran it another 80K miles with no problems. I think needing oil is over rated :thumbup: lol

Jordon

#4 ·
Oil is not only a lubricant, but is part of the total cooling package. Getting by at the moment is miss leading you if you think you can run around with oil below the add mark with no consequences. Try driving across Death Valley with no oil on your dip stick but still with oil pressure or the light not on.

Trees

#6 ·
Rich27028 said:
wait a min --your 29 years old and you cant add oil untill it on the full mark????
In this case I wasnt the one that was told to do the oil change, and i had some of my own work that i needed to finish, so i wound up "coming late to the party" so to speak.

if i had been allowed to continue on w/ what i had intended to do, i would have been checking the dipstick probably just in the nick of time, as my coworker was avout 1/2 way through gallon #4 at that point. And i was JUST about to say "hold up right there, lets see what the dipstick says"

...i never got a chance to say that sentance

instead the bosses son walked out and jumped on my ***, informing me that, basicly, checking the dipstick is a stupid way to do an oil change.

WHY WOULD YOU CHECK THE DIPSTICK??
-because it tells you how much oil is in the engine
WHAT? THAT DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE, YOU HAVE TO CYCLE THE OIL BEFORE YOU CHECK THE DIPSTICK! WHAT GOOD DOES CHECKING THE DIPSTICK DO?
-well, it will tell you if you have to MUCH or to LITTLE oil in the engine.
IT DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT!
-uh? what?

this conversation happened with a man that claimed that there was no structural support BETWEEN THE LOWER CONTROL ARMS where my coworker had placed the floor jack to get the truck up in the air.

#10 ·
oh no, i frickin serious. from the time my coworker left w/ the truck to go purchase the oil to the time the truck rolled out done, it was 2 1/2 hours, i wasnt there for all of it but thats how long it took total

even better, its sitting their running after we drained 1.5 GALLONS and hes still running around adding up gallons, quarts, liters and milliliters (yes, he really did touch on all 4 forms of liquid measure)

.... and im looking at the oil that splashed / dripped on the ground ... now covered in kitty litter

i look at him with a straight face and say "how about we back the truck up 15 feet so i can clean up this mess while you guys figure this out ?

"no, i dont want to drive it while its low on oil"

my response: oh ok, that makes sense"

i made sure to put just a slight emphasis on "that" .... just enough to make him wonder if i did it intentionally.

:thumbup:

#11 · (Edited)
so this morning SR askes me about it

i show him the partial gallon left over from the first oil change, explain i used 3 full gallons + 1 quart (13 total)

this time we put in 16, took out 6, put 3 back in (13 total)

he tells me, basicly "the book says 10, why did you put in 13?

because thats how much you have to put in to get the oil level in the proper range on the dipstick

i was informed that next time, since the book says 10, only 10 gets put in, and that the dipstick "really doesnt mean anything"

so next oil change, if i wind up doing it, im draining it, swapping the filter, and handing the fresh oil to one of the bosses and letting THEM add whatever they want.

i dont drive it, and i dont have to fix it if it blows up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.