Hot Rod Forum banner

So it starts...Gen III 5.3 Vortec into 51 Chevy

21K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  Ford_Assassin 
#1 ·
Alright just got me a new powerplant and tranny to replace my current 350/350 setup in my 51 Chevy Coupe. :thumbup:

Got me a nice 5.3/4l60e setup w/ only 10k miles to swap in :D
Now starts the madness, I will try to keep the thread updated with any new info and if anybody has done a similar swap or know someone, feel free to chime in with some advice as this will be my first motor swap with something this new :pimp:

See less See more
#27 ·
Passenger side on, drivers side in work

Passenger side is in

But drivers side would have fit perfect, but because of the location of my master cylinder underneath the floor, I can't install the header so I am going to go to the exhaust shop and see if they can't bend it some to clear the M/C

#28 ·
Sorry here's the latest update

Here is from Sunday:

Good news, got the headers in.
and I got it to start :D

Now for the bad news
I can get it started with starting fluid and sounds like a beast :D , but once the fluid is gone, it dies :sweat: . So I am assuming I have spark since it runs off of the starting fluid.
Also sometimes it will start without any fluid for like half a second after sitting for a little bit. :confused:

Troubleshot:
-Can hear fuel pump kick on
-Can also hear injectors spray when the key is on
-MAF is hooked up
-have about 4-5 gallons in the fuel tank
-No trouble codes showing up
-ECM programmed by Wait4Me so I assume VATS is deleted

Also when it is running it doesn't stumble or anything, sounds like it would run really good, then it runs out of starting fluid and dies :pain:

Been troubleshooting all day

Oh yeah, had a video of first start up, but for some reason the camera didn't save it, but I'll try and get one when she starts runnin right

And here is what I found out today:

Well for the starting problem, I think I got it now. Since I could hear the injectors, I just assumed they were firing, well this morning, I took them out to watch them and sure enough, nothing came out, :eek: but it sounded like it was. So first thing that came to mind was clogged injectors. :rolleyes:

So I went and borrowed an injector from the parts store, put it in, and sure enough that injector was firing, and I must have jarred another one free from all the movement, because now another one started going on the other side.

So I had two injectors shooting (new one, and one old one) and the motor wanted to start, just didn't have enough fuel I assume from just two injectors, but it definitely sounded like it wanted to fire, so I think that may be it.

Needless to say, now all 8 injectors are soaking in Seafoam as we speak, and I will probably reinstall them tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Hopefully this is it..... :thumbup:

#29 ·
Alright injectors back in and still no go.....

Ok I just checked pressure to the rail and when its priming its getting like 65 PSI and then after it clicks off its just under 60, probably about 55PSI, but then while cranking its getting about 65PSI to the rails.

I read somewhere that if the injectors get more 60PSI they won't fire. Can anyone verify this by chance?

#30 ·
Alright, just replaced the regulator and now fuel pressure is at 58PSI while priming and while cranking, which is where I read it should be, but the injectors still are not firing.

Also I hooked a mulitmeter up to one of the injectors and they are getting 12v, don't know about pulses yet though, since I have no one to turn the key while I watch the meter

#31 ·
Alright new injectors on the way

Alright I just bought some injectors and they shipped this morning, so hopefully they will work. :D

I think mine are just too gunked up from sitting. :( I got one to free up and start clicking but then it got stuck open :smash: and wouldn't stop leaking fuel, so probably flooded that cylinder out now, I had to relieve pressure in the rails to get it to stop. :mad:

So now I will just put these new or newer ones on and see what happens :pimp:

#33 ·
It Runs!!!!it Runs!!!!

WHOOO!!!!!!

Yeah, it was definitely those injectors, put those new/used ones I got and she fired right up :D

Oh yeah and vids will be posted either this evening or tomorrow morning, depending how work treats me tonight. :rolleyes:

And she runs, now to fix the header leaks, so far thats all that seems to be leaking :mwink:

#35 ·
Updates....Updates

Alright well I guess the vids I promised are on hold.... :(

I pulled the headers off and am going to tow the car down to the exhaust shop to get the header work done right, so I guess you could say they are now going to turn into custom headers... :rolleyes:

#37 ·
Congratulations on your swap, well done :D
Couple of things I see in your video that I will comment on though. The position of your filter means that the motor will be taking in air that has been through the radiator....read HOT. It has been proven that for each 10 degree drop in intake air temperature, power goes up 1 percent. Therefore, if you are taking in 200 degree air now and move the filter to the outside of the car to take in ambient air at say....100 degrees, you will have a 100 degree drop in temp and therefore should theoretically pick up 10 percent power due to the denser air (more oxygen in the available air). Of course this assumes a little more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio where it needs to be. I don't know a lot about EFI systems, but I would think the computer would adjust for more fuel when it sees denser (cooler) air.

Other thing is, I would fashion a shroud for the fan.

#44 · (Edited)
mudworm said:
thanks and do you know if the computer needs the speed sensor?
The PCM can be tuned so you don't need a VSS input, however for the PCM to control the fuel map as best as possible for optimum MPG, its ideal to have a VSS hooked up to the trans.

Dakota Digital (among others) sells a pass-through VSS that will still allow the use of a mechanical speedo cable.

What happened to the 4L60e?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.