So.. what are the best Hot Rod plugs? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So.. what are the best Hot Rod plugs?

I know this is a loaded question but I was wondering if there is any general advice as far as Hot Rod plugs go. Not necessarily a long life plug but one that resists fuel fouling, works well with a carburetor, ect.

The reason I ask is because everyone has said use NGK copper plugs. I have had a couple plugs go dead just sitting over the winter. I switched to Autolite a few months ago and so far their fine.

Any advice on plugs too use? Or plugs NOT to use?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

ones that fire....lol

what are these going into?
usage of vehicle/etc
Old 04-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
ones that fire....lol
c
Exactly! LOL, seems like a lot of people go through several sets of plugs to find one that works right.

Its a Chevy 383 with Vortec Heads
XE-274h cam 1.6 roller rockers
Crosswind Intake
Holley 850 DP
Davis DUI
Long tube fenderwell headers
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllmm4 View Post
I know this is a loaded question but I was wondering if there is any general advice as far as Hot Rod plugs go. Not necessarily a long life plug but one that resists fuel fouling, works well with a carburetor, ect.

The reason I ask is because everyone has said use NGK copper plugs. I have had a couple plugs go dead just sitting over the winter. I switched to Autolite a few months ago and so far their fine.

Anymore, I usually select the plug to fit the headers so I don't have to dimple them for plug-boot clearance. Often as not, that ends up being NKG as an eighth inch shorter insulator and a choice of heat ranges makes for a lot of flexability in fitting around headers and maintaining proper in cylinder temps.

Bogie
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllmm4 View Post

Whenever possible, I use extended tip plugs. They have a broader sweet spot than regular plugs and they work well in many applications. The piston clearance needs to be taken into account w/small chambers and/or domed pistons.

If difficult installation is an issue, using double platinum or iridium plugs (double, meaning both the center and ground electrode has the special metal, not a double electrode) can extend the useful life of a plug, requiring fewer changes through the life of the engine.

In my opinion, the U-groove, diamond tip, double and triple electrode plugs are no better than a normal plug. Champion plugs are supposedly poor quality compared to what they used to be. I use AC, both regular and platinum.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 PM

For the vortec cylinder head the autolite 605 works well. It is a shorter plug and works well with header clearance.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

I prefer NGK; but for no other reason than they have a lot of choices and a consistent product. I had a turbo Daytona years ago and I put Bosch platinums (+4?) in it after the usual popped head gasket. Ran like a 3 legged arthritic pig on ice...it was just awful. Pinged, fouled plugs, etc etc. Switched em out for standard NGKs and no problems. Now this does not mean all Platinums are awful, this became quite a well known problem with the turbo Dodges, and probably had more to do with high boost and chamber design than the plug itself.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 AM
if you beat my boat, well race

Last photo:

the best plug for my hotrods are buildge plugs

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.