So whats the "new style"?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So whats the "new style"??

Just curious what everyone thinks. Has there been any new styles so to speak in the last couple years? It seems like Hot Rods had some pretty distinct styles over the years, Classic 50's Kustoms, wild 60's show cars, over the top 70's styled, 80's styled cars, 90's with the pastel paints, Billet made a huge splash for a while.

Looking back on it may be easier to see what the trends are. But right now I can't really put my finger on any new styles? What do you think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 AM

Last photo:

styles

Oddly enough, it seems that in my area..(detroit MI)...the fastest growing "style" seems to be a throw back of sorts to "ratrods". Find the roughest, rusty looking old heap and throw a performance engine in it. Everyone seems to be building these weathered looking, slammed old coupes with the nostalgic wheels and bizarre exhaust systems. I've watched in shock as they sell at events for ungodly amounts of money....disbelief! When a fully restored Chevelle classic pulls the same money that an old 34 Ford coupe that looks like it was just dragged out of some farmers field brings...it kind of makes you scratch your head. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong! LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

LS transplants
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

LS transplants for sure. at the shows I'm noticing the 50's style rods that are chopped and with loud candy/metallic are winning all the shows. if it's a loud green, purple, red, it will place higher than the same car that's say black w even an awesome buff job with no swirls.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

style

Thats a fact! I guess now that I think about it they are putting an LS in everything now and the louder the bright paint job the better....and often loud color combinations that clash horribly!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

A friend of mine put his bike in a bike show...Nice bagger with small fairing and absolutely flawless black paint. No one looked at it. Had it repainted the next year in a dark teal and silver...it draws a crowd everywhere; and he had a different guy paint it, its a good paintjob but not flawless..

Real bodywork afficianados will 'get' a mile-deep looking black paint job; most people cant see orange peel anyway, so hit em over the head with bright colors LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Style

AutoGear....I have to face it....I'm getting old and out of touch. I'm becoming a dinosaur! I suppose this is how my peers (and parents) felt when I jacked up my Nova and put those N50 tires on the back when I was 16. Guess all I can do is keep doing it my way...cuz thats the way I like it. Better come up with a new paint scheme for my S-15...perhaps a loud green with gold metalflake combined with a neon purple...that'll get me noticed eh?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

dude:

Lace paint and 'fingerprinting.' Its retro, AND it'll get you noticed. To me black cars just look sinister when theyre race-bred, and evoke a cool elegance when they're a luxury car.
You could get a dry pearl or flake, mix it in your clearcoat and spray it. Black AND different
Custom Paint | Pearl Paint | Candy Paint | Metal Flake | Automotive Paint | Thermochromic Temperature Change Paint | Chameleon Paint | Car Paint
Lots of interesting stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
snakebit68 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

style

Hmmm...that link has some awesome stuff. Thanks. Now the wheels are spinning....maybe it is time for a change. Something modern yet retro...My wife is not going to be happy to see me sanding down the paint on the s-15. I'll have to blame it on you to keep from sleeping on the couch for a month Trick is to show her a few ideas and get her to think its all her decision. She doesnt get mad when she participates and feels included.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Unfortunately the only "trend" I see over and over is the "frame swap". There are so many styles today a mixture of so many I don't see that overall pastel paint of the eighties or smoothies of the nineties or resto rods of the seventies, it is a pretty cool mixture of everything right now.

Brian
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I think cars done by "Rides by Troy" should be the latest style. The guy has some of the sickest customs ever. Subtle but pretty.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

the TREND OR STYLE today is.. USE IT.. don't let perfect get in the way of done,, E.I. drive that sucker.. instead of the over the top paint/interior/engine.. it's mild runners you can live with and enjoy..
that the world doesn't end if the vehicle gets a paint chip..
lsx swaps are big because it brings power and mpg bolted to an o/d trans.. allowing them to drive these cars more..
the rat rod is a fad.. that will not last.. as they are a r.p.i.t.a. to drive..
the style todays is put miles on it.. DRIVE IT..
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
tech69 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I can agree with that. I was recently asked why I wasn't priming and blocking my trunk. I responded by saying it's a trunk and some things might get tossed around in there while I'm driving.

Are we sure this new fad you speak of isn't the results of "redistributing the wealth"?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

the powertour and cruises like this that get people to drive their car 3000+ miles in one shot.. changed the game..
and more and more started looking at that garage queen and say'n WTF it sits here 340 days a year.. sells that and builds a car thats used more in one year than the last ones where used in 10..
not all that long ago.. a car mid build but driver would be laughed off a cruise night or show.. today it's cool to have it out and about..
yes there still are the cars that the owner parks the rig a mile away and drives it in after a week long detail and then hours on the show field to make it so clean.. it looks silly.. really.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

I do notice people are building a lot of Gassers and I'm perfectly fine with that trend

It does seem odd the new trend is doing nostalgic builds... Not really new at all. Actually I think if I was to start a new project it would be a early 70's style metal flake T-Bucket You don't see much of that around here.

I think in 10-20 years we will look back and call it the era of the Rat Rod. But really I would say its a pretty good time, lots of people going completely different directions.

Last edited by xxllmm4; 04-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.